Author Topic: Lara Parker commentary on RACE WITH THE DEVIL  (Read 3879 times)

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Lara Parker commentary on RACE WITH THE DEVIL
« on: July 02, 2005, 03:58:15 AM »
It's interesting that among Lara's comments on the new RACE WITH THE DEVIL DVD, she notes that she was three years older than Peter Fonda, who played her husband, and that she roomed briefly in college with his sister, Jane.  According to IMDB, Lara was born in 1942, Peter was born in 1940, and Jane in 1937.  Of course, Lara's revelation suggests that she was born in 1937, not 1942.  I seem to recall this information about Lara was made public some years ago, but it's nice to hear it finally confirmed.  No matter her age, she's still a beautiful lady!!  And her commentary on the DVD is quite fun.

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: Lara Parker commentary on RACE WITH THE DEVIL
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2005, 05:46:22 AM »
damn she looks good . .68!?  So this puts an interesting wrinkle . .for me on the age issues with Barnabas. . Julia and Angelique. .okay sure Julia was still 14 years older but Lara was 30 when she did DS, GH somewhere in the mid40s . .and Frid also mid-40s. . interesting. . .::tapping toes:::
Julia99

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2005, 07:40:39 AM »
How convenient that I save things!  Instead of just keeping the most current directory, I have old ones as well.

Lara is not listed in the 2004 or 1998 Vassar Alumnae/i Directories, but she was still in the 1992 version.  I couldn't remember her real name, so looked up the IMDB and found Mary Lamar Rickey.  There is a Mary L. Rickey (Mrs. Thomas M. Parker) for the class of 1959, which is the same class as Jane Fonda.
Josette

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2005, 02:36:03 PM »
So she was 30 when LP did DS? That makes allot of sense. I always thought she was in her early 20's and was frankly amazed at the level of maturity of her interpretation of Angelique. No matter, she made Angelique famous.  : )

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2005, 02:36:01 AM »
College with Jane Fonda  :o  :o  :o  Wow!! :o

VASSAR!! REAL wow!!!  :o

Impressed,
Patti

PS...Josette darling...did you attend Vassar? (Can I have your autograph sweetheart?)
What a Woman!

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2005, 05:01:18 AM »
PS...Josette darling...did you attend Vassar? (Can I have your autograph sweetheart?)

Patti, yes - but what's the connection with the autograph?  :)  I did know Meryl Streep a bit - she was in a couple of my classes.
Josette

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2005, 02:30:44 PM »
I haven't seen the movie in decades (I first saw it at the drive-in; remember those?).  But the ending always caused me to shiver; it was delightfully eerie and creepy.  You'd think it would show up on TV, but I've never seen it there in years and years.  Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

Gerard

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2005, 02:46:06 PM »
It ran on one of the cable movie channels not long ago -- I think it was either Flix or the Fox Movie Channel. Otherwise, I haven't seen it listed in years and years. Odd, too, as I've heard a lot of people refer to this as a made-for-TV feature, which of course it's not.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2005, 04:29:16 PM »
Odd, too, as I've heard a lot of people refer to this as a made-for-TV feature, which of course it's not.

Perhaps not so odd when one considers that many of the production values resemble a bad made-for-TV movie. Perhaps the people who confuse it as such can't conceive that it could or would have ever been released theatrically. If so, one might wonder what they think of some of Ed Wood's films.  [wink2]

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2005, 05:15:19 PM »
the ending always caused me to shiver; it was delightfully eerie and creepy.  You'd think it would show up on TV, but I've never seen it there in years and years.  Maybe I'm just not looking in the right place.

Gerard, I saw it originally on TV, probably mid-70's. I too found it creepy & scary. But, production wise, I can see why it's confused with a made-for-tv movie.

I went to imdb now, to see if it listed when on tv (didn't), but here's a ?funny? quote:  "Director Jack Starrett claims he hired real life Satanists as cult-member extras. (more)"

Josette...I'm extremely impressed that you went to Vassar [book1]

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2005, 05:51:12 PM »
Josette...I'm extremely impressed that you went to Vassar [book1]

Me too!  That's fantastic. 
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2005, 03:35:20 AM »
I keep hoping some channel I get will show it.  I think it would be very interesting to see, regardless of production values!  :)

Patti and Penny - thank you.  Now if it would have meant something in terms of developing a career or something, that would have been nice!!
Josette

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2005, 03:44:29 AM »
I think it would be very interesting to see, regardless of production values!

Well, I wish you luck on being able to say the same AFTER you've seen it.  ;D

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2005, 04:32:26 AM »
Because I have a memory for such things, I do know that RACE WITH THE DEVIL aired at least once on the CBS Wednesday Night Movie.  I didn't watch it, but I remember seeing the promo for it.  As a result, for years I thought of the film as "the one with Lara Parker and a snake in a Winnebago."

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2005, 09:14:11 AM »
Because I have a memory for such things, I do know that RACE WITH THE DEVIL aired at least once on the CBS Wednesday Night Movie. I didn't watch it, but I remember seeing the promo for it. As a result, for years I thought of the film as "the one with Lara Parker and a snake in a Winnebago."

LOL!  I love it!  I don't remember what year it was on but I must have been in high school since I was actually allowed to stay up to see the whole thing (ha!).  The ending totally freaked me out -- eek!  LOL!  Didn't stop me from watching it again when they eventually reran it, though, of course -- ha!  I saw it in the store the other day for only $14.99 so maybe I'll pick it up and take it along to the Fest and have Lara Parker sign it for me.