Author Topic: Please Read This Thoroughly Before Voting!  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Please Read This Thoroughly Before Voting!
« on: January 04, 2004, 06:00:39 AM »
When I considered that we might begin watching/discussing the DS episodes on the current DVD releases, it was because I figured following along with the releases would be topical because they're what's currently being offered. Also, the releases are now at a point where the Cassandra storyline has wrapped, the new phase of Angelique as a vampire has just begun, Don Briscoe is just coming on the scene, the second half of the Adam storyline is just beginning, and the introduction of Quentin is but a few months away, so it's an opportune place. But at the same time I can see going back and starting with Set 1. So, Midnite, Dom and I discussed it earlier today, and in a rare bit of benevolence, we've decided to post a poll and let everyone have their say. (A dangerous decision to be sure, because no matter what's ultimately decided, it isn't likely that everyone can be happy - but, hey, it's a new year - let's live dangerously for one week!  [wink2])  This poll will run until 12am ET, January 11th. In the event of a tie, Midnite, Dom and I will vote to break it. And whatever the results turn out to be, that's how we'll proceed beginning January 12th. But before you vote, please carefully consider your choice:

Yes, it could be nice to start from episode #210. Those are some of DS' best episodes and they're always exciting to watch. But keep in mind that if DS were to find a new home within the next few months, chances are that's exactly where the new run will begin. Consider whether or not you might want to discuss the introduction of Barnabas episodes for a few to several months only to leave those discussions to start discussing them all over again? Whereas it's highly unlikely (to say the least!) that any new run would begin in the summer of 1968, so people whose cable companies might not carry DS' new home (particularly if that new home turns out to be Soapnet) could continue to discuss the DVD releases, while those who might be lucky enough to be able to watch DS on its new home could still discuss the introduction of Barnabas completely independently (perhaps even on a totally different version of Current Talk). (We could even backtrack to episode #523 rather than begin with #564 (currently listed for January 12th on the calendar) so that people who want to actually watch the DVDs would have a two month cushion to purchase each DVD set rather than get it as close as possible to when it's released and then possibly catch up with the schedule.)

Also consider (and this could actually be most important  [b003]) at the point the DVDs are at Jeff Clark has but a few months left of his run, while starting with the introduction of Barnabas means that his entire run is yet to come!!  [scrm]  [shockeyes]  [haironend]

The decision of where we begin is but two mouse clicks away...

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:Please Read This Thoroughly Before Voting!
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2004, 04:55:41 PM »
Start from episode #210.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline DarkShadowyFigure

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2004, 06:41:51 PM »

I also vote starting with ep #210.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2004, 06:53:39 PM »
Well, I'm not gonna vote!  So there!  Nyeah!

Actually, it wouldn't be right for me to do so.  I don't have the DVD's or the videotapes, save for special ones (right now, I can't afford the DVD's), nor will my cable have SoapNet should DS find a home there.  So I'll leave it up to those of the family here who have them.  I think for those of us who are disc/tape-impaired, we can follow along with the availability of posted episode-synopses (and do the same if it ends up on SoapNet) and fully participate in the discussions.

Gerard

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2004, 07:28:19 PM »
Why not ep #1?

(not that any of my tapes are labeled, so, oyevah).

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2004, 07:37:06 PM »
Why not ep #1?

Personally, I'd love to start with Ep #1. Unfortunately, though, the pre-Barn eps haven't been released on DVD and not everyone has tapes of them or has even seen them, for that matter. Starting at either the intro of Barn or with the current DVD releases would seem to allow more people to take part in the discussions.  :)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2004, 08:20:33 PM »
I think for those of us who are disc/tape-impaired, we can follow along with the availability of posted episode-synopses (and do the same if it ends up on SoapNet) and fully participate in the discussions.

Actually, I just realized that we don't have copies of the intro of Barn synopses because the first YaBB version of the forum didn't open until Sci-Fi was already well into 1795...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 08:26:55 PM »
Well, I guess that settles that[sure]
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Misty

• Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2004, 08:31:06 PM »
 [batang]   Episode #210 is my choice-------unless, of course, ep.#1, etc. becomes available. I think that anyopne who hasn't seen the very first part of DS is missing the true "essence" of this adventure.
                                                         Misty
" Small things amuse small minds"--------at least my students have been led to believe!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2004, 01:12:09 AM »
So (and I realize the polling is open until the 11th), tomorrow, what are we watching/discussing?

Patti
What a Woman!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2004, 02:40:44 AM »
Whatever you'd like to discuss.  [wink2]

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2004, 05:14:16 AM »
 ;D I think it would be best to do 1968.  The new and old show -- if and/or whenever they start -- will be on pretty much the same storyline is being proposed here (Ep #210 and on).

8) I'd start it at 1968, when Vicki returns to the present.  That's where the 1991 series left off... so, that seems like a fitting place.

;) I would hope someone could alert us about the episode to "air."

Like --
 :o VHS, vol. 48, show 3
 :o DVD, vol. 9, show 28

...but whatever you decide is fine with me.  I know the whole show pretty well.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2004, 08:34:09 AM »
Start with 210 DVD SET #!
I love Soap Operas & Comic Books

Offline Bobubas

• Full Poster
  • The Gates of Hell.
    • View Profile
    • Bob's Dark Shadow Event Photos
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2004, 03:46:54 PM »
---unless, of course, ep.#1, etc. becomes available. I think that anyone who hasn't seen the very first part of DS is missing the true "essence" of this adventure.

I second that emotion!! :)  I was just talking with a friend the other day who asked me what part of DS was my favorite. I replied that the very early episodes were among my favorites, along with the introduction of Barnabas. I feel the writers seemed to devote more time to character development then they did in later storylines. I also loved the location footage that those early episodes offered.

Bob
Your Focus Determines Your Reality!
Everything in Life is only for now!

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2004, 10:10:11 PM »
Bob...had never previous liked the 'early eps'.

But watching them this last time....absolutely delicious!

The nuance, the subtlety (LAURA!!!)

But, this could be because we all got used to so 'in your face break neck pace who remembers the original storyline', which of course, is why we love DS!

Patti
What a Woman!