Author Topic: Warning! more bootleg HODS/NODS dvds turning up on ebay.  (Read 960 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Warning! more bootleg HODS/NODS dvds turning up on ebay.
« on: October 26, 2003, 08:40:03 AM »
Another warning to the curious.

These films have never been released on DVD in any region or territory. These are poorly made home-burned DVDs made from the VHS or Laserdiscs.

They are not widescreen or 'rare.' It's a scam by a seller who specializes in burning DVDs (check his feedback.)

Don't waste your money. Most players will have trouble playing these also.

Offline wes

• THIS SPACE FOR RENT
  • Junior Poster
  • My Journey is Beginning
    • View Profile
Re:Warning! more bootleg HODS/NODS dvds turning up on ebay.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2003, 04:13:52 PM »
Thank You for the warning.  There is another dealer on ebay who seems to imply that the DVDs have been released in other countries.  I don't mind them selling their stuff on ebay... I don't care at all.  It's the lie about what it is that should get them banned.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2003, 12:27:37 AM »
What I can't believe is how long this person has been getting away with selling these crappy DVDs. Back in August when you'd given us a heads up about the ones that were being offered on eBay I'd completely forgotten that you'd first warned us back in January 2002 on our eboards4all forum shortly before we officially opened the first YaBB version. (I'd recently been working on the eboards posts in the forum's database when I came across it.) I suppose Warners doesn't think that going after this person for copyright infringement is worth it in the long run. But I hate to think about the people who've been taken in...

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2003, 08:09:20 AM »
Saw someone trying to pass off a DVD of Seizure with Jonathan Frid too.  Amazing no one has shut this person or persons down.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2003, 08:51:38 AM »
This is probably pointing out the obvious, but . . .

You do not have to be the copyright owner to report a bootleg item being sold on eBay. I know for a fact that this is the case with selling copies of movies on VHS that were never actually released on video.

If all people who see these items do is shake their heads in disgust and/or post on other forums, they will continue to turn up on eBay.

This page lists eBay's policies regarding bootleg items:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/bootlegs.html

At the bottom of the page, there is a link to report an item that is in violation of this policy. You will need the item number, and you will have to log in with your username and password.

Getting the Seizure DVD yanked shouldn't be too hard since the seller stupidly mentions that it is a DVD-R, though this person thinks s/he is being clever by spelling out the syllables rather than typing the letters.

Usually, it only takes 24-48 hours to get the item removed.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)