Author Topic: "Dumb" Quentin  (Read 2101 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
"Dumb" Quentin
« on: March 21, 2003, 08:52:04 AM »
This part of the story always infuriates me.  When Quentin encounters Beth, he knows that he looks like Petofi.  But there must be all sorts of private things between them, or even things about Jenny and his relationship with Laura that he could tell her as proof.  Lots of stuff from before anyone had even heard of Petofi.

And, even more so with Edward.  He thinks beforehand that Edward has known him his whole life, so surely he'll know.  But, does he remind him of anything from their childhood or some private family matter that Petofi couldn't possibly know?  Noooooo.  And on top of that, the things he does tell him are fantastic things like body switching and that he'll still be alive in 1969.

Quentin might not have the brains of Petofi, but I certainly didn't think he was THAT dumb!!
Josette

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re:"Dumb" Quentin
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2003, 09:00:35 AM »
These are all good points, Josette.  I'm sure the writers wanted to extend Quentin's plight as long as possible and so not let anybody believe him, but one explanation for his bumbling could be that the mind transfer left him groggy (on "Quantum Leap" they would say "Your brain has been Swiss-cheesed.")  He isn't thinking clearly.  Petofi consciously initiated the process, so he is in control of his faculties, but Quentin was blindsided.  Factor in his panic at his new situation, and I could see how he would be in a hurry to tell his problem first without realizing how he ought to back it up.

ProfStokes

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2003, 10:05:23 AM »
I was thinking the same thing at first Josette, but then I started wondering if perhaps Petofi had gained some kind of insight into Quentin's thoughts when the mind switch took over.  For example in yesterdays episode when Quentin seemed to know the real reason why Lady Kitty came to Collinwood and how her husband Gerald died penniless.  Quentin had no knowledge of this but Count Petofi did so it's possible that Petofi gained some of Quentin's memories as well.

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Connie

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2003, 10:19:15 AM »
Ah...thank you ProfStokes!  Couldn't have said it any better myself.  The shock and the fear of something like actually happening to you....well, I can't even imagine it.
I understand Josette's frustration though -- this kind of writing is always going on.  I'm always thinking, "Wouldn't it just make more sense to do this, or that..."  It's enough to drive you insane.

By the way, I applaud your always trying to make sense of the storylines -- attempting to form some kind of cohesive structure.  [thumb]

I gave up a long time ago.  LOL

-CLC   [gring]

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2003, 03:13:08 PM »
i think it was the shock of going into that body!
kinda like Heather Locklear being switched with Phyllis Diller  :oLOL!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2003, 09:54:18 PM »

LOL!!!!  I didn't look at it that way before Jennifer but I guess you're right!!   Never mind the shock of having your body switched, but look what you're getting!!!  Ooy vey,  poor Quentin!!![6184]

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Connie

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2003, 10:18:36 PM »
Never mind the shock of having your body switched, but look what you're getting!!!  Ooy vey,  poor Quentin!!![6184]

Yeah - from gorgeous to gross, and just after a short "nap"!!
This stuff with people inhabiting other's bodies.....it's too confusing for my puny brain.

What if Barnabas and Julia were to switch bodies???  Now THAT would be interesting.  LOL

-CLC    :o

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2003, 01:29:18 AM »
What bothered me today was that when Quentin (Petofi) was talking to TLATKLS, he seemed 'whimpy' or as above, 'dumb'...didn't seem like Quentin's behavior or speech. But, then, when he was trying to intimidate her, he seemed like Quentin (and not Petofi).
I guess since T. David was quite immersed in this whole thing (I Ching, vs Barn, also vs. Ang), that he didn't get to think before he spoke his 'Quentin' lines.
Hope this confuses everyone (God knows I got confused writing this!!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Aristia

• Junior Poster
  • Crazy like a fox!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2003, 04:35:46 AM »

Heheh, that's why I always refer to this part of the story as "Life is a Lemon, and I Want My Body Back"   ;D

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2003, 04:33:22 PM »
Heheh, that's why I always refer to this part of the story as "Life is a Lemon, and I Want My Body Back"   ;D

heehee this part of the story always creeped me out!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

IluvBarnabas

Re: "Dumb" Quentin
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 03:28:18 AM »
I started wondering if perhaps Petofi had gained some kind of insight into Quentin's thoughts when the mind switch took over.  For example in yesterdays episode when Quentin seemed to know the real reason why Lady Kitty came to Collinwood and how her husband Gerald died penniless.  Quentin had no knowledge of this but Count Petofi did so it's possible that Petofi gained some of Quentin's memories as well.

I can't quite buy that theory and here's why...if Petofi HAD gained some of Quentin's memories while taking over his body...why did he not recognize Judith when he saw her a few episodes later? Or Evan Hanley? I doubt Quentin was thinking of either one of them when he was drifting asleep.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: "Dumb" Quentin
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 04:24:21 AM »
It can get confusing during the mind switch storyline when some people refer to Quentin when they really mean Petofi in Quentin's body and Petofi when they really mean Quentin in Petofi's body, but the scene Cassandra was referring to actually took place in Ep #854 before the mind switch was completed -  Quentin was still Quentin, but he was already beginning to receive the memories of Petofi. Here's the scene from Robservations:

Kitty, book in hand, closes the window in the drawing room, then puts down the book. Quentin returns. Join me in a drink? she asks--I'm being very forward she is, but I think it would help me to sleep if I had a brandy. "What are you REALLY doing here?" Quentin asks. She turns to look at him--"I beg your pardon?"  I wonder why I asked that? says Quentin, puzzled, then adds, yes, of course--Gerald Soames died penniless, and you have come here to marry Edward and all of his money!  Kitty is horrified.
Quentin laughs at her.  She smacks him--stop it! she orders. Why did you hit me? he asks--did I say something?--tell me!!   "Quentin, if you don't remember," says Kitty, "neither do I." She leaves him, heading upstairs.

[hall2_smiley]