Author Topic: Wish There Will/Would Be Another DS Movie  (Read 1210 times)

Offline Patti Feinberg

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
    • View Profile
Wish There Will/Would Be Another DS Movie
« on: January 28, 2016, 04:43:03 AM »
I really wish there would be another DS movie.

Of course I wouldn't expect Depp/Burton, but there are SO many add'l story arcs:

Since Collinwood was destroyed, build a 'New House' (irony).

Let's see.....Julia Hoffman....to me, that being the last shot is a segue into additional stories.

Liz...how is she doing with her very profitable fishing business?

Where be Carolyn's daddy?

Laura.....Laura....Laura

Mrs. Johnson, who is too old/bedridden, the building of a New/Old House would require an add'l housekeeper.

Ding-dong rings the doorbell. It's a young lady fresh off the boat from England. Heavy cockney accent. Introductions: Pansity Faye (who will have visions).

Liz is busy with the building/moving into New house, that, unbeknownst to her, some 'squatters' are living w/out permission in the now dilapidated House. But, they won't leave; they're gypsies, and they threaten a curse on anyone who tries to get them to leave.

What no one (including Roger) knew was that Roger had a daughter....Nora. Since she too is a Collins, Elizabeth of course let's her live with the family.

A construction worker, working on the building, takes a fall. When he awakens at the hospital, he has amnesia. He had a driver's license, which reads Grant.

More!!!!

More!!!

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Wish There Will/Would Be Another DS Movie
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 06:26:29 PM »
Another movie? Maybe if the industry has a few bad decades we'll see another DS movie, out of desperation, lol. Isn't that how they got to making movies out of TV shows in the first place?

A parade of TV movies, like was done with Perry Mason or mini-series would be nice, and plausible. And I still think a musical play could be awesome with the Barnabas/orphan-governess reincarnation story with the Burton happy ending perhaps? Or do unhappy endings have greater impact?

TV movies or mini-series would be perfect for telling multiple storylines.

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 09:56:09 PM »
TV movies or mini-series would be perfect for telling multiple storylines.

I think the perfect format for continuing DS would be seasons of 6-10 episodes each, on a network such as HBO, AMC, Showtime, etc. Each season would be a complete story arc. (There could still be story points that have continuity from one season to the next, since the best storytelling is the kind that lets the characters grow and change, just like in real life.)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 08:25:21 PM »
Story arcs should not begin and end artificially at the start and end of a season.  That's a mistake the new Dr Who makes.  Life doesn't work that way.

I think Tim Burton's movie was a fun, interesting take on the part of fans who had the power to get it made (Depp at least).  I see no reason to make sequels to that version.  There should be a lengthy gap, then it would be great if someone besides Tim Burton could sell Hollywood on trying it again, more seriously.  A very different filmmaker, different style, no Depp either.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 07:40:06 PM »
Story arcs should not begin and end artificially at the start and end of a season.  That's a mistake the new Dr Who makes.  Life doesn't work that way.

What I meant (but didn't actually say) was that the primary or A story would run the length of a season. Secondary stories (B, C, etc.) would come and go throughout the season, some of them wrapping up and some of them still hanging. And actually this is how life does work. There are always multiple things going on. But for the sake of storytelling, for the particular world in which the story takes place, you pick the appropriate points in time that demarcate the beginning and ending of a particular thread that you choose as the A story. This doesn't mean the end of the story wraps up everything neatly and ties a nice bow. It only means that the A story has come to a general resolution.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2016, 01:14:52 AM »
I really liked the film...

but in the Depp/Burton iteration I'm more than satisfied. I don't crave "more" in terms of those actors in those parts, that aesthetic, that sensibility, that time period.

and the open-ended "cliffhangers" thrown in at the last minute...Carolyn as a werewolf ("woof"), Julia and Magtoria/Josette "rising" as vampires...which were meant to leave the door open to potential sequels, didn't draw me in.

I'd always welcome a new take on the story. but the book feels closed on this chapter.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2016, 01:51:04 AM »
I'm sure that there will be another version of DS at some point. It might be years before it happens but there is still a great deal of interest in the property.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2016, 12:19:35 AM »
I agree that there is still a great amount of interest in DS overall. I don't think another film treatment would serve the property well because Burton's wasn't well received and the media would simply link the new film to the bomb that was Burton's effort.

I like Dom's idea about a musical a lot. Musical theater is really witnessing a huge revival these days. The success of "Hamilton" proves that you can take a period piece and put a twist on it to rave reviews. It takes the right person with an intriguing vision who can sell that vision to the correct people. And that's just the baseline of events that would have to occur to bring it back into fashion and into the current pop culture consciousness. Whatever is done with DS, it needs to be a completely fresh take on the traditional vampire love story that we saw in the 1795 arc, that's where the money is in terms of plot I think. You've got everything going for it. Love, lust, betrayal, jealousy, and intense family drama.

What I envision happening, unfortunately, is maybe twenty or more years from now when there's not really anyone around from the old days to protect Curtis' vision is when we'll see someone take the reigns of DS under Warner Bros (do they still own the rights?) and do something with it. Maybe if someone could somehow work a superhero into the story it would gain more traction now, since that's where the meat and bones of television and film seem to exist.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2016, 01:05:32 AM »
I hope the superhero craze ends before anyone tries a DS movie again, though it's hard to see how they'd combine those two things.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 03:52:48 PM »
I also like dom's idea of a DS musical. A friend and I once whiled away an evening trying to cast singers for the roles in a DS opera.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 10:41:00 PM »
It seems that a multiple versions of Spiderman and Batman movies, produced at big budgets, some making critical/commercial success, other not, every few months.  Of course, they have more of a base than DS.  Maybe there is the possibility of some sort of cinematic version of DS rising again.  I think another version made for TV would be better, but let it be more subtle like the OS, not over-the-top like the '91.  Too bad the '04 wasn't given its chance.

Gerard