Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0416  (Read 772 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0416
« on: March 19, 2013, 04:49:55 PM »
Robservations #416

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0416

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 10:15:13 PM »
Another truly painful episode. Loved JB's touching little soliloquy about the "first bird of the morning." She tells Joshua that she has dressed Sarah in the blue dress she was to wear on her birthday. Poor Sarah will have to wait another 170 years to find her blue dress again and wear it to her big brother's costume party. [I suppose they buried her in a plain shroud, otherwise how would her blue dress have ended up in the trunk at the Old House?]

The enraged Joshua tells Vicki that he hopes the fires of this life will be but a prelude to the fires of the next (even though the town is planning to hang her).

Barnabas has realized that a black neckcloth will be more practical for his new lifestyle. Ben talks him out of giving himself up to the authorities in Vicki's place. Barn decides, My family has already been through enough.

More heartbreak as Barnabas hides in the secret room while his parents visit Sarah's tomb. He is nearly as distraught as they are. In a scene beautifully played by both JB and LE, Naomi blames herself for their children's deaths: I should have saved my children from your coldness and bitterness, she says. It is like the coldness of the stone tomb where they now lie--and where I want to stay. At last Joshua’s grief breaks through his cover-up of anger as he moans, My poor children! Now realizing that Joshua is suffering as much as she is, Naomi comforts him. I will take you home, she tells him. We will go, he agrees mournfully--and never return. They are practically holding each other up as they leave.

Barnabas still hopes to salvage something from the ruin of his family. He tells Ben to look after Vicki--and then asks Ben to stake him at dawn. Horrified, Ben argues, You’re my friend! I don't want to destroy the one man at Collinwood who's treated me decently! Barnabas cries out in anguish, I am already destroyed! He makes Ben promise to stake him. With deep sorrow, Ben reluctantly agrees. Barnabas sighs with relief, sure that his tormented existence will not last another night....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 11:05:39 PM »
The opening shot of Naomi lingering over her glass makes it very clear, she doesn't drink because she wants to.   Of course Joshua would have to arrive then, and bluster about nothing, at the worst possible time.   Good point, Joshua cares about attacks on his family far more than he does about the victims themselves, as if he's the victim.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 01:59:34 AM »
Naomi is in black and Joshua comes home to the news of Sarah's death. He blames Vickie as does the town. Which reminds me that we havent seen much town or townfolk. They should be riled up by the Reverand and storming the gaol. The visit to the tomb reveals that the headstone for Sarah is already carved and installed, perhaps, the working of a bewitched stonemason working for Vickie. Barnabas reveals that he wants Ben to kill him with a nod to continuity for a change he is to use a holly tree stake. What happened to the stake he fashioned for Angelique that went unused?
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 01:23:12 AM »
I loved your interpretations/observations of this episode, DarkLady.

I wonder where Joshua went? Probably to Boston to take care of all the legal issues having to do with Jeremiah & Barnabas being dead. I guess he rehardened while he was away.

I'm not at all impressed with Bennett's performance in the opening scenes. She still looks fab though. So does Edmonds, btw, even though we can see the makeup glue holding his sideburns to his face.

The writing isn't half bad for this episode - too bad the acting doesn't live up to it. For whatever reason, the music cues are bothering me. Well, the reason being that they are using cues strongly associated with 1966/67 characters and locations.

I just noticed that Barn is wearing the medal we see in the portrait that is pinned to his coat breast. I like Barn's plan to turn himself in. Pretty nobel and kills two birds with one stone - but I can see why he changed his mind. It makes sense.

The scenes in the mausoleum & the secret room & the cemetery are very emotional & engrossing. As a viewer I do take some comfort in Ben claiming he will take care of Vicki.

If Barn wants to die, why not just stay out in the sun?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 01:52:46 AM »
If Barn wants to die, why not just stay out in the sun?

I suppose his new vampire instincts might tell him that this would be too excrutiating.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 02:49:31 PM »
Thanks for your kind words, dom. And yes, I agree with MT's answer to your question. Everything that's alive does its utmost to stay that way, and I suppose it also must be true of the undead.