Author Topic: How Long Would it be before.....  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
How Long Would it be before.....
« on: February 25, 2002, 11:40:30 PM »
Originally posted by Birdie on the Dark Shadows: General Discussion Forum on February 25, 2002 at 17:40:30:

Here is a poll, Julia99 You are ususally the poll person. How long do you thing it would have taken Barnabas to resume his affair with Angie, if he had married Josette and Angie had not gone on to do all those "wonderful" things she is so good at.?

My own opinion is he would have given in to temptation a few months after he finally married Josette. There was so much passion between him and Angie. Lets face it she was there. An interesting idea for yet another parallel time.

This is the first time I have seen these episodes and I have to say I am loving it.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
Re: How Long Would it be before.....
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2002, 11:58:05 PM »
Originally posted by Julia99 on February 25, 2002 at 17:58:05:
In Reply to: How Long Would it be before..... posted by Birdie on February 25, 2002 at 17:40:30:

If Angie had remained a servant, Barnabas the master. .I think as soon as Josie got preggers and wouldn't let him into bed anymore. . he'd knock at Angie's door. . so I say about 6-7 months after marriage. . .and their multi-year on again/off again affair would've resumed. Too bad she was so impatient. . .and desiring more than a life of service to Josie .. the gall. . :)
J99
Julia99

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2002, 12:49:02 AM »
Originally posted by kuanyin on February 25, 2002 at 18:49:02:
In Reply to: How Long Would it be before..... posted by Birdie on February 25, 2002 at 17:40:30:

Whew, that is a toughie. If Angie had been a different personality, I think it might have happened. If she had been able to wait patiently and seem to be his "good friend" and then be understanding when Josette and he had a tiff....

BUT, that's not our gal, is it? She is forceful and Barney likes his women compliant and dimwitted. So they seem to be on a colision course to me no matter what. Unless he were to completely change and want a real woman instead of a girl. If she could refrain from doing what she is about to do and he could wake up, then they would have a good chance.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2002, 04:51:04 AM »
Originally posted by Julia99 on February 25, 2002 at 22:51:04:
In Reply to: Re: How Long Would it be before..... posted by kuanyin on February 25, 2002 at 18:49:02:

kuanyin's
If she had been able to wait patiently and seem to be his "good friend" and then be understanding when Josette and he had a tiff....

BUT, that's not our gal, is it? She is forceful

and want a real woman instead of a girl.

Gosh I wonder why these traits sound so familiar? Who are we describing here?? J99
Julia99

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2002, 11:27:37 AM »
Originally posted by VAM on February 26, 2002 at 05:27:37:
In Reply to: Re: How Long Would it be before..... posted by Julia99 on February 25, 2002 at 22:51:04:

Yes, Angelique and Julia Hoffman were the strongest female characters in the show! Do you like that comment Julia99?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

scott

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2002, 12:20:39 PM »
Originally posted by scott on February 26, 2002 at 06:20:39:

Me too. or rather I saw them during the original run but really can't remember them. I'm loving it too! My 13 year old daughter is too. She really likes Angelique (and I'm with her on that!).

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2002, 03:55:46 PM »
Originally posted by Gerard on February 26, 2002 at 09:55:46:
In Reply to: Re: How Long Would it be before..... posted by Julia99 on February 25, 2002 at 17:58:05:

I go along with that. EVERYONE had affairs back then; it was not only something not new, but very common place. Our founding fathers, from Washington, to Jefferson, to Franklin were all notorious for their amours. And the ladies just took it in stride.

Gerard

Offline RingoCollins

• Senior Poster
  • I think it was the trousers
    • View Profile
    • Fans On The Run
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2002, 09:23:12 PM »
Originally posted by RingoCollins on February 26, 2002 at 15:23:12:
In Reply to: Re: How Long Would it be before..... posted by Gerard on February 26, 2002 at 09:55:46:

Our founding fathers, from Washington, to Jefferson, to Franklin were all notorious for their amours.

FRANKLIN too????

Was it with Lucy, or the girl that calls her Sir, OR [I've got it] Peppermint Patti - PATTI!!! [see above OT post!!!] [say no more, wink wink...]
We sing, we dance.....and we don't need pants!

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2002, 10:30:57 PM »
Originally posted by Linda on February 26, 2002 at 16:30:57:
In Reply to: Re: How Long Would it be before..... posted by VAM on February 26, 2002 at 05:27:37:

Yes, Angelique and Julia Hoffman were the strongest female characters in the show!

I think Julia is a strong female character, and one that commands respect, at least. Frankly, I'd give Elizabeth the honor of being the other strong female character on the show, and Judith in 1897 should get an honorable mention, as well.

Although I can see how people might enjoy the villainous Angelique -- even I get the same kind of perverse kick out of her that I got from watching J.R. Ewing and the nasty Eve -- I can't fathom why she would be particularly admired by anyone except women who cling to resentments involving ex-boyfriends, nor can I understand how the demonic obsession of a multiple-lifetime vendetta gets constantly misconstrued as "strength."

I wouldn&$039;t put her in the same class as Julia, especially in 1795.

Cheers,

Linda

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2002, 12:24:16 AM »
Originally posted by VAM on February 26, 2002 at 18:24:16:
In Reply to: Re: How Long Would it be before..... posted by Linda on February 26, 2002 at 16:30:57:

Thanks for pointing that out. I am sorry I hit a sore spot. My comments were obviously interpreted wrong. -VAM
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
PLEASE
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2002, 02:19:05 AM »
Posted by Midnite on February 26, 2002 at 20:19:05:
In Reply to: How Long Would it be before..... posted by VAM on February 26, 2002 at 18:24:16:

We've been sharing our different points of view on this and let's continue the debate, but please do so without making it a personal issue.

Offline Linda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark Shadows Virtual Series
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2002, 02:48:52 AM »
Originally posted by Linda on February 26, 2002 at 20:48:52:
In Reply to: Re: How Long Would it be before..... posted by VAM on February 26, 2002 at 18:24:16:

I am sorry I hit a sore spot. My comments were obviously interpreted wrong.

No, not a sore spot, and if you were joking, then I certainly apologize for my non-jocular response. I just find it puzzling when people seriously characterize Angelique as a strong woman. I don't equate the kind of viciousness she exhibits with emotional strength, and I don't understand why the character is admired for positive qualities that she doesn't possess. Angelique is a great villain, but a lousy role model for anyone who can't turn the gaolkeeper into a cat, and yet I've repeatedly heard vigorous -- if utterly illogical -- defenses of her actions and temperment from a variety of DS fans.

To each his -- or her -- own, I suppose.