Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0511  (Read 624 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0511
« on: July 31, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »
Robservations #511

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0511

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2013, 05:12:00 PM »
The red brick wall gives way to reveal Trask’s skeleton - scotch taped cranium and all. Stokes thinks Trask may be inhabiting Tony’s body and calls him forth with the promise of finding the witch that eluded him before his death. During this discovery, Lang’s taped music starts playing upstairs. Julia impulses Adam’s name aloud and heads upstairs with Stokes hot on her tail. They find David playing with the tape recorder. Julia gets rid of him, telling him to take the tape player with him. Stokes reminds Julia that David best not tell Cass that he saw him there and Julia asks David to keep their secret.

Stokes then questions Julia about Adam, he tells her he’s met Adam, but before she is forced into a corner, Tony calls to them, sending the pair hurriedly back to the basement. Tony shows them that the skeleton is gone. Stokes, fascinated, calls forth Trask but to no avail. Julia leaves with a frazzled Tony. Alone, Stokes hears Trask sigh and before following J & T up and out, again tries to convince Trask to materialize with the promise of atonement and revenge. (As smart and intuitive as he’s proven to be thus far, Stokes isn’t thinking this through as one might hope or expect.)

Next morning, David greets Julia in the foyer of the Great House. He tells her that Barn is to return by noon. Julia leaves for the Old House.

Barn returns to find a note left by Julia, leaving it unread because of a noise he goes to investigate in the basement. Expecting Adam, he instead finds a fleshed out & vengeful Trask, who with just a slight touch of self righteousness on the shoulder renders Barnabas unconscious. Meanwhile, Julia comes back to find her note unopened and decides to leave it there thinking Barnabas has not yet returned.

The episode ends with an unconscious Barnabas bound behind the death wall and a vengefully laughing Trask.

Stokes is one smart cookie. Or maybe he is average and everybody else is stupid. The whole Trask thing does not impress me at all. You know, the disappearing skeleton, inhabiting Tony’s body but not making itself known, etc. And I am not even sure why they are doing this at all? Hall seems to be getting her mojo back but she’s not there yet. Thayer is still too loud. Henesy gets another paycheck. It’s not important but we never see Julia leave the note for Barnabas - it’s just there.  I’m guessing now that the tape player is at the Great House - Cassandra is going to happen upon Lang’s Message. The copyright has been reading 1967 for a few episodes now. DCP is a f’n mess.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 06:08:55 PM »
We see that Ben's memoir was completely accurate--enough bricks have fallen away to reveal the top half of Trask's skeleton, hands still tied above his skull. (The skeleton’s left arm looks misshapen, and the candle on the table is still red, but after the opening credits, it’s blue.) It’s true! Stokes exclaims, the diary was right. Julia recoils at the ghastly outcome of Barnabas’s rough justice: It's terrible, she gasps, even though she knows Barnabas was justified.

Upstairs, David is finally enjoying his chance to play with Lang's tape recorder. [Somehow the script writers have forgotten that it’s long past midnight! Vicki is really falling down on the job! Or else Julia treated Tony, then returned to 13 Arrowhead Road the following morning.] Treating David quite as an equal--and in a lovely echo of Ben and Daniel long ago--Stokes introduces himself as man to man, and the two shake hands.

Julia is in a tight spot, denying to Stokes that she knows anything about Adam, but her very denial gives away the fact that she's protecting someone. Shortly after Julia and Tony leave ahead of Stokes, a camera is seen briefly while Stokes addresses Trask: I can understand a certain reluctance in letting your skeleton be seen (camera at left), but if you had appeared to us we would have given you anything you wanted. Stokes is the last to leave and so the only one to hear a sigh fill the coffin room. Stokes tells Trask, Don’t be despondent. If you appear, you take your revenge on the witch and rest in peace. This is not the most fortunate choice of words, but unlike his ancestor, our professor has greatly underestimated the not-at-all Reverend Trask.

Back at Collinwood at 7:00 a.m. the next morning, Julia waits anxiously for Barnabas. David finds her. You’re up early, he says. I’ve been up all night, Julia admits (she’s still wearing yesterday’s dress). Have you seen Barnabas? Amazed, David tells her, Barnabas was supposed to come back at noon yesterday. That’s what Mrs. Johnson told me. She went into town to do some shopping for him. [And here’s a totally unexplored sidelight: We can only imagine Barnabas’s reacquaintance with the pleasures of food and drink after almost 200 years.]

David tells Julia he didn't tell anyone about seeing anyone at the Old House. Apparently only the youngest family members keep the "word of a Collins."

Barn hears a noise from downstairs, and thinking it's Adam, goes to investigate. Trask! he exclaims, appalled, when he finds that gentleman in the coffin room. Yes! Trask gloats. I’ve been freed--freed for revenge! Barnabas tries to rewind, insisting, It was my ancestor who wronged you. But of course it's too late--Barnabas gave himself away by knowing Trask's name. As Trask moves closer and closer, the now all-too-human Barnabas backs away in real terror, shouting, Don't touch me! Trask only laughs: You touched me when you forced me into that hole. You touched me when you hung me. You touched me when you cut out the light. Trask finally puts his dead hand on Barnabas's shoulder. Instantly Barnabas collapses to the floor.

Julia gives up trying to find Barn at the Old House and leaves, not knowing what is happening in the basement beneath her very feet. Trask has hanged the unconscious Barnabas in the fatal alcove--just as Barnabas hanged him so long ago. Barnabas’s hands are high above his head, which sags onto his left shoulder. . The bricks are up to Barnabas's waist, but this manual labor is apparently not too humble for the Rev., who is laughing triumphantly.

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 02:15:04 AM »
As the Skeleton is revealed chained to the wall. It looks as if Trask ripped his arm out trying to escape. The Adam music plays upstairs revealing David. Stokes is supposed to be dead but foolishly reveals himself to David. Trask free for revenge touches Barnabas and chains him up.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times