Author Topic: Sorry, the twin question again ...  (Read 1580 times)

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Sorry, the twin question again ...
« on: February 02, 2007, 03:38:25 AM »
The name Thomas does mean twin.

Naming the character Tom with twins in mind presupposes that they planned ahead to introduce Tom's look-alike brother Chris somewhere down the line - but that's not actually the case. It was the fan response to Don Briscoe that caused the DS PTB to bring him back in another role.  ;)

Regarding Tom and Chris (the are they/aren't they twins).

I know based on Tom's tombstone and Chris's later statement that he first changed on the full moon following his 21st birthday which was 7 years previously, that makes Chris approximates 3 years older.

But bearing in mind that dates on tombstones in DS are not the most reliable way of telling when someone's age, I am curious if there have ever been any interviews with cast or production staff where the interviewee explicitly state whether it was intended they be twins or just lookalike siblings?

Does anyone who have frequently the Fests recall any of the actors being as if they knew the answer?
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Sorry, the twin question again ...
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2007, 03:51:22 AM »
Nope. And in the absence of actual evidence to the contrary, the only evidence we have to go by is what was established on the show - that Tom and Chris are not twins. There's no evidence on the show to contradict that.  ;)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 04:00:59 AM »
I always thought they were twins because they look identical. I figured that Chris got the honor of the curse because he was the elder. But that was an assumption on my part. The last time I watched that storyline through I paid careful attention and when Chris came to town he said he was Tom's brother, period, he never said twin brother, and no one else ever said twin either. Still just to keep us from wondering this, it might have been helpful if the elder brother (Chris) had a moustache or something that made him look a bit older.

Alondra

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 04:11:27 AM »
I know based on Tom's tombstone and Chris's later statement that he first changed on the full moon following his 21st birthday which was 7 years previously, that makes Chris approximates 3 years older.
If Chris was born premature and Tom was remarkably slow to emerge, Chris and Tom could still be twins.  I don't think it's likely, however, because if it had happened that way, Ma Jennings would surely have had her tubes tied before Amy could put in an appearance.  Unless Amy was...no.  Not even on Dark Shadows.

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 05:55:05 AM »
**POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT**  :o

Interesting though, in the episode where cousin Joe has his (final) mental breakdown, and has the creepy dream about Chris and Tom, that nothing is said or done to solidify an age difference between the two exact-lookalike brothers. The word "twin" is never brought up - but it seems implied. Can't trust dates on DS tombstones as gospel: Naomi Collins supposedly lived until 1821, but we know otherwise.

Does anyone know of brothers or sisters, born 3 years apart, who look identical? Just curious.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 06:03:43 AM »
Does anyone know of brothers or sisters, born 3 years apart, who look identical? Just curious.

In one of the many discussions about this issue, one member mentions how he and his brother (non-twins) have often been mistaken for each other. Non-twin brothers can and sometimes do look amazing alike. But let's face it - the reason Chris and Tom happen to look identical is because they're played by the same actor.  ;)

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 06:06:48 AM »
But let's face it - the reason Chris and Tom happen to look identical is because they're played by the same actor.  ;)

...And I say a prayer of thanks to Dan Curtis every night, for bringing Briscoe back into the fold after his short stint as blood-'n'-Julia lusting Tom Jennings.

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2007, 06:20:28 AM »
I like Don Briscoe too.  I'm watching the episodes of him as Tim Shaw, before he goes to NY, and he's such a sweet man.  Too bad he was made to be the [spoiler]killer of Minerva.[/spoiler] I really hated how he was used but love the reference to the movie, The Manchurian Candidate.  Because of this plotline, I rented the 1962 version with Frank Sinatra and Angela Lansbury.  Great movie!

I think the only reason people want to believe that Tom and Chris are twins is because they were played by the same actor.  People have a hard time believing Barnabas as in his last 20s-early 30s because the actor was in his 40's.  It's hard to imagine Barnabas any younger than the actor himself.
[/color]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2007, 07:19:51 AM »
No, but there is precedent on TV:  The Patty Duke Show predates the premiere of DS by three years.  Patty Duke played identical cousins ( :o ) Patty and Cathy Lane.
[crowdhappy]

So I guess I can deal with it.
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2007, 12:24:19 PM »
No, but there is precedent on TV:  The Patty Duke Show predates the premiere of DS by three years.  Patty Duke played identical cousins ( :o ) Patty and Cathy Lane.

Now I keep humming the theme song from "The Patty Duke Show," with lyrics applicable to the Jennings brothers.

They bite alot;
They claw alot;
They scare alot;
They kill alot -
You can lose your mind!
When brothers are two of a kind!

Gerard

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 05:35:08 PM »

In one of the many discussions about this issue, one member mentions how he and his brother (non-twins) have often been mistaken for each other. Non-twin brothers can and sometimes do look amazing alike. But let's face it - the reason Chris and Tom happen to look identical is because they're played by the same actor.  ;)
My sister and I are almost three years apart in age and have been asked more than a couple of times if we are twins.  Neither of us sees it but, apparently other people have.  We have quite a few cousins too and I honestly don't think any of us look alike. 

I've never thought of Tom or Chris as twins - just thought that was a vehicle to bring Don Briscoe back after his first character died and you were supposed to think of the similarity as a family resemblance.  When I first started re-watching DS he was one of the most memorable actors from the original broadcast and I'm glad they brought him back.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2007, 06:58:02 PM »
Gerard honey, I am *dying* here!

Thank you for MAKING my Friday!

cheers, Gothick

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2007, 06:40:24 AM »
Gerard, you're off the charts!! Love it!
Scary thing is, I have both DS and The Patty Duke Show episodes on videotape... and I'm tempted to watch a Tom/Chris episode AND a Patty/Cathy episode, respectively, back-to-back.

Yes, tonight's a full moon.