Author Topic: Shadowgram  (Read 2573 times)

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Shadowgram
« on: February 25, 2009, 07:58:54 PM »
Great News!  The latest Shadowgram will be mailed soon.  Marcy has had to deal with many personal matters since last summer which explains the delay.  She is also talking about a Shadowgram Website.  We all wish her the very best and are grateful for her many years of Shadowgram.  This information was sent to me via Yahoo Groups.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowgram / ShadowGram Update #192
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 08:48:45 PM »
SHADOWGRAM
The Official Dark Shadows News Updates Yahoo Group
Marcy Robin's Cyberspace "Dark Shadows" News Updates
An Internet Publication of SHADOWGRAM
ShadowGram@aol.com

Number 192. February 24, 2009.

Hello, Dark Shadows Fan,

ShadowGram (SG), The Official Newsletter & News Source for Dark Shadows (DS), announces the following breaking news.

**** NEW SHADOWGRAM # 114 PRINT ISSUE BEING BEING MAILED NOW ****

The latest published ShadowGram is being sent to all current postal-mail subscribers. As always, these Official DS Newsletter editions have exclusive pictures, specific announcements, and full details for all the DS-related news, far more than the brief SG Online DS News Updates "bulletins."

Following are SG # 114 highlights.

*** JONATHAN FRID LOOKS BACK AT THE DS FESTIVAL – BURBANK, CA – JULY 2008 (SG Exclusive)

SG is honored: Jonathan shares his own thoughts about the most recent Fest convention: Excerpt: "I keep reminding myself of the three recent and coming happy years involving my planning and presence at Dark Shadows festivals.... For this coming Festival next August I hope to participate in the events with other actors. " He comments on his feelings as he prepared for the Burbank event and for his previous Fest appearances (2006 and 2007). He also considers the coming Fest this summer...and he has plans....

*** UPDATING: 2009 DS FESTIVAL CONVENTION – Newark, NJ, Aug. 14-16, Marriott Airport Renaissance Hotel, 100 Spring St., Elizabeth, NJ 07021. 908-436-4600.Elizabeth (Newark), NJ.

SG Online Update #191 premiere-announced the convention and our confirmed guests: Jonathan, Lara Parker, John Karlen, Kathryn Leigh Scott, Marie Wallace, and additionally, Donna Wandrey. More guests to be announced.

SG #114 notes Fest plans: The general schedule; some planned programming activities; membership fees and reservation information for the traditional Banquet with the Stars; and much more. The latest confirmed plans will be announced and updated in the next SG #115 print edition and in the SG Yahoo Group.

The hotel offers sleeping rooms at a special reduced per-night rate. You must mention "Dark Shadows Festival" to get the discounted rate. Fans are encouraged to make their reservations soon. Call the hotel's direct reservations line: 866-234-7535.

For the membership registration form, plus information about volunteering at the Fest or contacting potential hotel roommates, send a SASE to Dark Shadows Festical, P.O. Box 92, Maplewood, NJ 07040. DarkShadowsFestival.com

*** UPDATING: NEW DS MOVIE PLANS

The long-awaited Warner Brothers feature film to star Johnny Depp as "Barnabas Collins" is still very much in the works, despite rumors to the contrary that have appeared in print and online. Scriptwriter John August has been hard at work and Depp's frequent collaborator Tim Burton (SWEENEY TODD, SLEEPY HOLLOW) plans to direct. If all goes well, the movie will hopefully go before cameras before year's end. However, it would not be released to theaters before late 2010 at the earliest. The next SG # 115 will announce confirmed casting and filming details.

*** UPDATING: HOUSE & NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS ON DVD

With the new Warner Bros. DS film on the horizon, Warners Home Video intends to release HODS (1970) and NODS (1971) on dvd close to the time the new movie hits theaters. This means the dvd could appear as soon as Halloween 2010, if not slightly earlier. There also is the continuing hope that NODS will be represented by a restored version featuring approx. 30 minutes of outtake footage.

*** SG #114 PHOTOS & NEWS HIGHLIGHTS:

--- Numerous casual and candid pictures of our 2008 Festival guests:
Jonathan, Lara, David Selby, John, Kathryn, Marie, Jerry Lacy, Robert Rodan, Chris Pennock, Roger Davis, Robert Cobert, and Sy Tomashoff.

A report on the Burbank Fest details the guest Q&A talks, live onstage performance of the "lost" 1968 DS script, annual Banquet With the Stars, and more. The highlight of the weekend was Jonathan's introduction: John Karlen, as "Willie," stepped onstage holding a lit candleabra and discovers a chained coffin as the room echoes with Barnabas' commanding "Willie!" He opens the casket, a hand shoots up from inside, grasping at his throat – and John then assists Jonathan out of the coffin, to the roaring delight of the standing-room-only audience.

--- DAVID SELBY is portraying "Abraham Lincon" at the historic re-opening of Ford's Theater in Washington, DC – the place where Lincoln was shot in April, 1865. The theater restoration and world premiere play "The Heavens Are Hung In Black" are part of celebrations for the Bicenettial of Lincoln's birth. David is pictured in the role and – in character – greeting President Barack Obama at the 2-11 official re-opening event.

David was keynote speaker at the 275th Anniversary of St. Peter's Episcopal Church in Salem, MA 9-18 He also was a guest speaker at the National Cathedral in Washington, DC, 2-22. David is pictured from his Sept. readings/book signings.

--- MARIE WALLACE stars as "Beverly Carstairs" in the world premiere comedy THE CHISELERS 2-27/3-8 at the Emerging Artists' Theatre (E.A.T.) Group. The play is at the TADA Theatre, 15 W. 28th St., NYC. 866-811-4111. Marie asks SG to tell fans she "is looking forward to seeing a number of DS fans in the audience."

Marie shares about her 2 weeks in Oct. in Greece. She "came back with great memories and some wonderful photographs," adding "every mment of our time was filled with joy."

She's also featured in thr Sondheim Review Magazine, Winter 2009 in a detailed article about the "The Gypsy Stripper Christmas Tree" – Marie's own Broadway debut. She helped provide information, resources, and contacts with some of the people involved in the unique holiday production number.

--- PAUL MICHAEL and his lady love MARION ROSS starred in Overland Park, KS, in the premiere of a play written for them THE LAST ROMANCE. Paul's program book biography is in SG #114, as is their Christmas card.

--- STUART GOODMAN is an executive producer of A&E's new real-life series MANHUNTERS.

--- MARY McKINLEY-HAAS showed her paintings at a Jan. NYC art exhibit.

--- DONNA McKECHNIE will choreograph GUYS & DOLLS IN CONCERT for the iconic Hollywood Bowl this summer.

--- JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT stars in the romantic comedy 500 DAYS OF SUMMER, screened at the Sundance Film Festival in Jan.

--- ELAINE HYMAN's film ONCE MORE WITH FEELING screened at the Sundance Film Festival in Jan.

--- MARSHA MASON & MICHAEL T. WEISS are in the debut play IMPRESSIONISM at Broadway's Schoenfeld Theatre; previews begin 2-28..

--- BARBARA STEELE provides commentary for the new dvd release of her starring role in 1966's THE SHE-BEAST. Barbara is pictured from her appearance at the Chiller convention in NJ in Oct.

--- BLAIR BROWN plays a powerful, mysterious corporate executive in Fox's new drama FRINGE.

--- MARLEY SHELTON stars as a seasoned FBI agent investigating unusual crimes in CBS' ELEVENTH HOUR series.

--- ALSO: KATE JACKSON, CHRIS PENNOCK, SUSAN SULLIVAN, LYSETTE ANTHONY, BARBARA BLACKBURN, and other DS actors were in recent plays and films. See their sections.

**** SAD DS LOSSES:

--- DS director JOHN SEDWICK died 7-3.

--- MARY COOPER (1841 Parallel Time Josette) passed away 10-22.

**** NEW DS MERCHANDISE

--- MPI's new "exclusive DS merchandise": a cell phone lanyard, mouse pad, bistro mug with spoon, and the "limited edition collectors plates" pictured in SG #113. Also available now is the "DS Bobblehead Collection, complete with all the characters! Pick up Angelique, Barnabas, Quentin, Josette, and Werewolf today! Each doll is one in a series of 5." MPI, 16101 S. 108th Ave., Orland Park, IL 60467. 800-323-0442. www.darkshadowsdvd.com

--- SG #114 reports on the new audiodramas from Big Finish Productions. These original stories are recorded by some of the DS actors.

The newest releases are: "The Skin Walkers" – In 1899 New York City, a supernatural group seeks Quentin's powers to build their own future. "The Path of Fate" – Quentin steps onto a mysterious new stairway through time" and must ally with Angelique to help escape its swirling influences. The focus is on the characters of Quentin and Angelique, played by Lara Parker and David Selby."

"The Wicked and the Dead" stars Jerry Lacy and John Karlen – Rev. Gregory Trask is trapped in utter dark desperation behind the solid brick wall of Collinwood. Then "a stranger appears to him with an intriguing offer."

These new audiodramas and previous releases are available from the Dark Shadows Festival, P.O. Box 92, Maplewood, NJ 07040. www.DarkShadowsFestival.com

More information about all the audiodramas is found on Big Finish's special website: darkshadowsreborn.com

*** SG #114: DS IN THE MEDIA – DS FILMING LOCATIONS

--- An interesting major article from the Chicago Tribune about DS, the Fests, the planned Johnny Depp film, and more.

--- DS has been featured recently in TV Guide and several publications, on-the-air programs, online genre sources, etc. Details and excerpts are in SG #114.

--- Evocative photos (taken this month) of Seaview Terrace/Carey Mansion Collinwood) and the Black Pearl (DS' Blue Whale) coated in snowy winter white.

*** SG # 114 details all the above and much more.

*** COMING SOON !!!!!

THE OFFICIAL SHADOWGRAM WEBSITE: SHADOWGRAM.COM

This will be your main online source for the SG online update announcements, plus a range of photos, background information, current events, and much more.

The site presently is under construction, but please visit in a few days. As always, SG welcomes your pictures of the DS personnel, media references to DS, and more.

NOTE: SG #114 contains the current confirmed, official news relating to DS, its personnel, merchandise, and more. It has a different look because we still are working on the "bugs" in the new formatting process. We appreciate your patience and understanding.

NOTE: Individual news sections for the 2004 WB Pilot DS version are not included in this issue but will be available on the SG website soon.

Since last summer, I've had a number of unexpected, ongoing demands at home, at my fulltime job, and with other matters. These have been and continue to fill much of my time and attention. As always, everything I do for SG/DS must fit in around my daily life, and I regret that my fannish time has been severely limited of late, leading me to postpone this issue. Now it's finally ready for all SG readers and I hope everyone enjoys it. I appreciate all your understanding and patience with the issue and my delays in correspondence, etc.

*** Fans attending play performances, personal appearances, and the Fest are encouraged and invited to send SG their photos, reports, local publicity references, etc. In this way, fans who cannot attend can enjoy the events through your experiences. Please also share with SG any DS mentions you find.

You will be named as a Contributor in the SG published issue(s). A complimentary Contributor's Copy SG print issue is given in appreciation for major contributions.

Please send all photos/images via email in high resolution jpeg format to ShadowGram1@yahoo.com

Or you can send photos/articles in hard-copy by postal-mail to

Marcy Robin / ShadowGram
P.O. Box 1766
Temple City, CA 91780-7766.

Thank you in advance for sharing!

**** Subscription information for the ShadowGram Newsletter print issues follows. When your order arrives, I will send you the new SG #114 to begin / renew your subscription. The next SG #115 and subsequent issues will be sent to you and all postal-mail subscribers as they are published..

Thank you.

Marcy Robin
ShadowGram Editor / Publisher
P.O. Box 1766
Temple City, CA 91780-7766
ShadowGram@aol.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowgram / ShadowGram Update #192
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 09:01:35 PM »
Quote from: ShadowGram
--- JOSEPH GORDON-LEVITT stars in the romantic comedy 500 DAYS OF SUMMER, screened at the Sundance Film Festival in Jan.

Several shots from it of Gordon-Levitt were shown in the preview of the year's upcoming movies that followed the Oscar telecast.  And some shots from Depp's Public Enemies, too.  [snow_happy]

In case you missed it (or want to hear the music again or whatever):  Academy Awards 2009 Movies Preview on YouTube

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Shadowgram
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:47:57 PM »
Wow, that's fantastic if true that the long-awaited restored movies DVD will be out in 2010.  So Mote It Be!

Thanks for the post, Midnite... for some reason, I'm no longer on the list for these emails...

G.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 12:06:47 AM »
Why isn't Selby going to be there? What, is he some high and mighty mucky-muck, too important for his DS fans?
(Wicked Wednesday...)
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline D_Friedlander

• Full Poster
  • The REAL Wyndcliffe
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2009, 09:00:05 PM »
This is what Kathy Resch sent in one of the WillieLoomislist Yahoo group e-mails.  (I did sign up for this, too.)

Here’s the latest ShadowGram Online Update. Please feel free to forward to any appropriate/interested groups and bulletin boards.

The ShadowGram Online Update is now a Yahoo Group! If you’ve been receiving the Updates directly from Marcy, we invite you to join the ShadowGram Yahoo Group. If you have any problems joining, please email Marcy at Shadowgram1@yahoo.com, and we can email you an invitation to join the group.

For everyone who has been receiving the Updates directly from Marcy, that way of sending ShadowGram grew too time-consuming and impractical. For those people who aren’t interested in joining Yahoo Groups, we are looking into using newsletter software to send out these updates in addition to the Yahoo Group. If this works out, we’ll post the link to receive these updates on the soon-to-be-live ShadowGram website.

(ShadowGram has been a Yahoo group for some time now, but we haven’t been promoting it as such until now.)
 ---Kathy
"HISTORY IS ULTIMATELY AN INVENTORY OF GHOSTS."-----
GUILLERMO DEL TORO

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 05:55:48 AM »
Very disapointed that the DS festival will not be in Tarry-town once again this summer. The 2 times that I went, I enjoyed it up there very much.There is also the connection between the 2 films and Tarry-town which makes it extra special. It also seemed like a mini vacation to me. i enjoyed the drive from Brooklyn to Tarry-town.Also, thats a long wait for the two films to come to dvd, Oct 2010.We have been waiting a long time for this.I guess I willhave to rehook up my laser disc player again to watch them.Hopefully, when they do arrive on DVD,it willbe worth the wait.I also feel the David Selby wil be there. he has been a trooper for many years. Hopefully he can be there, and perhaps a Barnabas, Quentin renunion.MM#7

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2009, 04:22:15 AM »
I also feel the David Selby wil be there. he has been a trooper for many years. Hopefully he can be there, and perhaps a Barnabas, Quentin renunion.
He's not planning to attend. He heard Janet the Wicked would be there.

(Ok. I made the part up about Janet the Wicked.)  [snow_cheesy]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2009, 05:40:41 AM »
I am gonna try to scrap every dime I can together to get to DS 2010!  I have always dreamed of going and I would like to go to it before the OS actors are still being able to attend.  I really want to meet David, Lara, John, and Kathryn the most!  I wish they could get some of the 1991 cast such as Barbara Steele to attend.  Or even some from the pilot!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2009, 01:40:35 PM »
I'm disappointed too that the con this year isn't going to be in scenic Tarrytown. 2007 was a blast, for those of us who enjoy the cons but love to do other stuff as well, the old houses, cemeteries and museums were quite the draw and very atmospheric.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2009, 12:43:44 AM »
He heard Janet the Wicked would be there.

[laughing4] [rofl10]

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2009, 12:51:47 AM »
I'm disappointed too that the con this year isn't going to be in scenic Tarrytown. 2007 was a blast, for those of us who enjoy the cons but love to do other stuff as well, the old houses, cemeteries and museums were quite the draw and very atmospheric.

I can't agree more.  Lower Westchester is a wonderful place to explore, especially if you're a history buff into old cemetaries, old houses and  historic sites. (And the fact that I work ten minutes down Route 9 from Lyndhurst has NOTHING to do with the plug!   [snow_smileydevil])  Being a native guide, I've been able to guide people to the dozens of stores and other amenities less than 5 min from the Westchester Marriott.

Unfortunately, my experience with this year's home is limited to the hotels on the service road which comprises Hotel Row.  That's where the hotels most other conventions have been using  for nearly 20 years are located.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2009, 11:03:33 AM »
Yeah if I was going I would surely want to go to Tarrytown and Seaview and old graveyards. I have loved old graveyards since childhood. I will never forget when I was 10 me and my family were in Virginia and I made them pull over in the rain so I could inspect an old Mausoleum. LOL At even a young age my mom took out a sizeable life insurance cause I have always made it clear I want to be put in a Mausoleum. And it has nothing to do with being under dirt. I just think they are very classy and that is my wish! :) Sorry to get off topic!

OT: I just wanna say how good it is to be back here at the boards. I had a sort of depressing Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb. I am thankful to be back here. I just love these boards and all of you wonderful people!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2009, 11:22:47 PM »
... I have loved old graveyards since childhood. I will never forget when I was 10 me and my family were in Virginia and I made them pull over in the rain so I could inspect an old Mausoleum. LOL At even a young age my mom took out a sizeable life insurance cause I have always made it clear I want to be put in a Mausoleum. And it has nothing to do with being under dirt. I just think they are very classy and that is my wish! :)....

You'd certainly love Westchester.  Since most towns have existed since the 1600s (though many weren't incorporated till the 19thC) we have LOTS of old cemetaries.  There's even a small one about 5 min from the Westchester Marriott in the town of Elmsford.

Your comment about the old cemetaries reminded me of a funny story.  In the 80s and 90s I was on the High Council of a British Science Fiction/Media club based outside Princeton in Jersey.  We had a lot of outside events, parties, picnics etc. every year, since we had a core of about 50-100 of our 1500 members who lived in within a reasonable drive from Princeton.  Invariably, no matter where in Jersey, Pennsylvania or  Long Island we had an event, SOMEWHERE in the driving directions was "TURN BY THE CEMETARY".  [ghost] [Ghost00]

OT: I just wanna say how good it is to be back here at the boards. I had a sort of depressing Nov, Dec, Jan and Feb. I am thankful to be back here. I just love these boards and all of you wonderful people!

Sorry you had such a rough few months, and hope things are improving for you.  I agree totally about this board, and hope you were fortunate enough to find this place before you found some of the more toxic venues in this fandom. A couple years ago I nearly walked away from the fandom altogether due to some ugly abusive behaviour that had turned into a pattern in another DS venue.  (It's not in me to watch the bullying and abuse of people who can't fight back, and needless to say protesting then put me under attack.)  The whole thing left such a bad taste in my mouth about the whole fandom that it took well over a year, and probably longer, before I even wanted to come here again. And that's knowing that our hosts would never permit the like over here, and anyone who tried probably wouldn't last long.  There's not enough superlatives in the thesaurus to describe how much professional, even handed, GROWNUP moderation should be treasured.

Jeannie

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2009, 02:38:43 AM »
OT: I have heard and experieced a bit of that before.  I did walk away from fandom for quite a while until I found the boards.  They have totally turned my DS experience into a lovely one.  We have amazing moderators and some of the most amazing people who operate here.  I love it and it's a very encouraging place for me. :)