Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0010  (Read 1818 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0010
« on: July 09, 2011, 02:12:34 AM »

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Discuss - Ep #0010
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 02:48:30 AM »
Double digits!   VW in VO: "I know I shouldn't be frightened..."  If you think that, then you don't understand!   Are we still waiting for her to say "I don't understand" for the first time?   

When Burke shifted Carolyn to the sofa, I instantly thought "hidden microphone".   It would be like him.    If Burke's story is that his intentions are so harmless because he's leaving for South America, then why did he come to Collinsport at all?   

Roger is startled by hidden David and his toy...  Oh no!   Burke's sending tiny killer robots after me!!!

If they're not setting DS up to be very supernatural in this episode, then I am a small lump of congealed pudding.   The only reason we didn't get a big bum bum BUM!!! at Burke's arrival in the foyer is that they don't have that in their musical arsenal yet, I think.   It's more effective with very little music, though.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 04:53:12 AM »
Are we still waiting for her to say "I don't understand" for the first time?

Yep, though somebody beat her to it.

Roger is startled by hidden David and his toy...  Oh no!   Burke's sending tiny killer robots after me!!!
[stfl] That was great!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 05:42:58 PM »
Nice little exchange between Elizabeth and David on the subject of teacups and poltergeists:

Elizabeth: David, things don’t happen that way.
David: They do here. Lots of things happen here.

A few minutes later, she becomes his ally, hurrying to the rescue when Roger starts to shake David. Nothing daunted, Roger is already establishing the Collins tradition of heavy drinking.

And yes, I agree that the show is already edging toward the supernatural....

We may still be waiting for Vicki to say, I don't understand. But we are already up to our second Collinsport Fly, which lands on the back of the sofa in Burke's room! 

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 05:02:04 PM »
The show may be edging towards the supernatural, but I don't see any indication at this point that the supernatural will be a primary component.  Just a nice little frill - if that.  I kept wondering, as David talked, if he was lying.  He did have a motive, after all.

How are we supposed to be reacting to Burke's deception of Carolyn?  I don't feel myself to be a good judge in this matter, because from what Carolyn said to Vicky - or was it to Roger? - I gather that, whatever our opinion may be of Burke, we're supposed to think he's handsome, and I don't think that.

Two weeks into this series, I have the same general thought as I had with the first episode: I wouldn't be watching this if it weren't for what comes later.   It isn't the lack of the supernatural that's getting to me.  More like a lack of humor that I can connect with, I think.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 06:20:10 PM »
I gather that, whatever our opinion may be of Burke, we're supposed to think he's handsome, and I don't think that.

No problem there--I don't think so either. But I do think that everything he's doing is part of a grand plan for revenge against the Collinses in general and Roger in particular. Carolyn is just collateral damage, although he might have a few slight pangs of conscience. And I think that's why he keeps trying to talk Vicki into leaving--I think we're to infer that he's already got a thing for her and doesn't want to see her hurt.

Two weeks into this series, I have the same general thought as I had with the first episode: I wouldn't be watching this if it weren't for what comes later.   It isn't the lack of the supernatural that's getting to me.  More like a lack of humor that I can connect with, I think.

I think that's why the show held absolutely no interest whatever for me at the time. By the time Willie released Barnabas on an unsuspecting world, I was already into other things.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 03:40:53 AM »
Oh, I think Burke is dreamy. I don't care for his tactics and his grand plan to wreck the Collins empire, but a few romps in the hay wouldn't be bad.

I love Burke’s luxury suite. What a riot. What is that furniture, Early American Junkyard? This is all Collinsport has to offer???
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 04:15:15 AM »
Are we still waiting for her to say "I don't understand" for the first time?
Yep, though somebody beat her to it.

That's not right.  While searching through papers for something entirely different, I came across summaries that answer your question for the eps up to this point:

Ep #1 -- Vicki tells Maggie, "I still don't understand."
Ep #4 -- Vicki says to Liz and Roger but is interrupted: "I don't understand..."
Ep #6 -- Carolyn, on the phone:  "I don't understand, Joe."
             Liz says to Vicki, "I-I don't understand."
Ep #8 -- Liz tells Joe, "I don't understand."

So, which is the "milestone"?

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 04:57:15 AM »
What amazing information to find just lying around, Midnite!   

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 04:59:09 AM »
Still haven't found what I went looking for!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 02:23:07 PM »
Still haven't found what I went looking for!

Don't worry--it'll be in the last place you look!  [ghost_grin]

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2011, 10:31:47 PM »
A wing back chair appears in place of the grand piano in the drawing room and is put to good use foar David to hide behind and Elizabeth to sleep in.  The Robot seems so out of place in Collinwood.  One almost thinks that David never plays with toys, but there are a few in his room. 
So Elizabeth sent Roger and his new bride away 10 years ago with the expectation that they never come back, but they must have visited as Roger and Carolyn are familiar enough to have a pet name for her and Elizabeth must have known David as he is the only reason Roger is allowed back in the house.  Roger really must have disappointed his father to hae been bypassed in all his inheritance to his sister.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2011, 10:43:37 PM »
Maybe it was just that Elizabeth was older and readier to take on the business. If her and Roger's father died fairly young, Roger would have been pretty young too. At one point it's mentioned that he was away at boarding school.

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 08:17:59 AM »
Burke is trying to set up Carolyn. David is an eavesdropper, that never comes to any good.

At this point in DS, Roger is the person in the company, that is just expediting what Liz wants. I wonder what she did prior to that. Did she really depend a lot on Bill?

The way that Liz controls Roger, I wonder how many things he did? It sounds like he was the black sheep of the family.

Liz has many loyal people around her.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate