Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0669  (Read 683 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0669
« on: March 28, 2014, 05:22:15 PM »
Robservations #669

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0669

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 06:40:49 PM »
Matthew Morgan's name is invoked twice...  I like that.  That was what, two years earlier?  Maggie calls Chris Tom, but that must happen to them all the time.  Well jeez, welcome back there Hairy.  For those man-watching, I imagine this recast Harry, who has a hint of Cary Grant in his face, was generally seen as an improvement, but he's the same old dull Harry otherwise.  (Edward Marshall.)  It seems odd even bothering to recast such a dunsel (sorry, Trek-speak) of a character. 

Evidence we have great stuff ahead in this extended (up through 1897) storyline... two magnificent, genuinely scary moments with Mrs. J and Quentin!  I like their use of the altered "shock" music at especially horrific DS moments-- echoey?  What to call it... Poor poor Sarah J, it's not so much that we feel scared by Q as viewers, it's that she's suffering so much we can't help feeling so sorry for her.  I insist on knowing how Quentin, confined to his bedroom in Collinwood, was able to get to the cottage, though.  Did the kids do something that I missed? 

One reason this ep worked so well, I think, is that it was not directed by Dan Curtis...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 09:56:28 PM »
I love it that we see the kids playing the card game War. My grandmother taught to us many years ago. We thought we were so cool!

Interesting to see all those paper shopping bags.

Mrs. J. is not best pleased at the idea of having more housework to do, what with getting the cottage ready for Chris. Nothing good ever happens there, she grouses, and indeed, nothing good ever does!

The kids pull the wool over Maggie's eyes and successfully escape outdoors. Did Amy cultivate her skill at mendacity before she came to Collinwood? Or it is just how Quentin's influence is manifesting itself in her?

Scary, SCARY moments when Mrs. J sees Quentin, not once but TWICE!!! As she shines the candle around the room, suddenly she finds herself face to face with a very tall, very handsome, very angry man with mutton-chop whiskers. He is dressed in an old-fashioned suit with a frock coat. Thanks to the children, Quentin has become strong enough to leave his room. His piercing blue eyes stare implacably into hers. Oh my god! she shrieks, dropping the candle in her fright. She rushes to the door, rattling the doorknob as she tries to escape. But Quentin has vanished.

After her second sighting of Quentin, Mrs. J is badly rattled. Maggie and Harry no. 2 unlock the door, and Mrs. J. sends Harry for some water.  He leaves to get some [and is never seen on the show again]. Farewell, Edward Marshall. Mrs. J. describes Quentin to Maggie.

Now in possession of both the candle and the cottage, Quentin opens the door and steps outside. He stares off into the woods, his expression fixed in an angry, vengeful sneer........

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 11:18:10 PM »
If Q is up to full ghost power now, if he can go to the cottage, I'd think he could just [spoiler]drive everyone out of Collinwood now.  Maybe things now move faster than I remember, and he's just about to.[/spoiler]
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 03:28:29 PM »
But, MT, [spoiler]then we'd miss a whole lot of scary stuff! Quentin isn't quite as strong yet as he needs to be.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2014, 04:25:36 PM »
[spoiler]Maybe Quentin expended so much energy in that cottage in the 1890s that that energy, still hovering around in 1969, which he is still connected to somehow, helped him appear there...[/spoiler]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2014, 07:25:20 PM »
 [snow_cheesy] [snow_cheesy] [snow_cheesy]