Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0655  (Read 614 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0655
« on: March 08, 2014, 04:30:24 PM »
Robservations #655

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0655

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:14:02 PM »
Recently in the news there was a man who was pronounced dead and sent to the morgue.  Before the mortician started to work on him, they noticed he was breathing!  This was some time after they pronounced him dead too.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »
I think I remember hearing about that, Joey.

Angelique, who is wearing her neon-green coat in hell, appears to Elizabeth in a dream and tells her that their showdown is nigh.

Poor Joe has gone off the deep end. It's all to easy for him to sneak into Collinwood and up to Amy's room. He's throwing some clothes into her teeny suitcase when she wakes up. He grabs her way too tight for sanity and runs off with her, leaving the suitcase behind.

Later, Carolyn lies to Elizabeth and says that Amy is asleep in bed. Skeptical because Amy was in her dream, Elizabeth goes to the little girl's room and is horrified by the wreckage--and the absence of Amy. Angelique appears again. The dream is about to come horribly true. Where is Amy? Elizabeth asks angrily. What have you done to her? As she steps out of the shadows, Cassandra replies mildly, You’re giving me too much credit, Mrs. Stoddard (as she always addresses her former sister-in-law). She reminds Elizabeth, You lost Amy in the dream, too. And then I came closer and closer.… She suits the deed to the word as she approaches Elizabeth, arm outstretched. No! cries Elizabeth. it's all coming true, Cassandra gloats as she reaches out to touch Elizabeth’s face, completing her curse.

In the woods, Joe, now completely mad, imagines he hears the creature howling. He puts Amy down to look behind a tree for whatever he imagines is there. Amy dashes off back to Collinwood with Joe in pursuit. He is about to chase her upstairs when Julia bodily blocks the way. She is about to to try reason with Joe when she hears Carolyn's piercing scream from upstairs.

Elizabeth is lying motionless on the floor of her room. I found her here! Carolyn cries. Julia takes Elizabeth’s pulse, pulls back one of her eyelids, then silently gets to her feet.

In her mind, Elizabeth asks herself, Why can't I speak? Why can't I move? Why can't I somehow let them know?

Somberly Julia tells Carolyn, Your mother is dead. Carolyn bursts into tears, leaning against Julia's shoulder. Julia strokes her hair.

Having seen and heard everything, but helpless to let anyone know she is still alive, Elizabeth shouts silently, I'm not! I'm not! I must move! I must make them hear! I'm not dead!…

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 09:17:09 PM »
after several months of Angelique in the diaphanous whites and golden curls of the "vampire period" I recall finding the sight of "Cassandra" stepping out of the shadows in her black wig and green coat in this episode rather odd...

and in general this was one of the nuttier episodes of an already extremely weird period on the show. [snow_shocked]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 01:20:28 AM »
Oh no.  Poor Joe's crazy now.  But Crothers does it so well.  I was trying to imagine what it was like accepting easily that witnessing a werewolf transformation could drive you mad.  I thought it might have been that in the 60s, we weren't bombarded with CGI effects, and didn't have that kind of fantasy imagery in our heads all the time.  Seeing it in person, for real, when you don't even go to see those kinds of movies where it's a bad special effect (millions of people were too "normal" to be interested in horror/sci-fi etc), this could be a shock.

Carolyn gets caught up on what happened to Vicki, and is most alarmed about Elizabeth, though it's nothing new by now, her fears.  Where was Carolyn?  Liz has a dream in which Cassandra appears, seemingly an implanted interactive image of her, since Angelique is long gone.  Very strange.  I don't think Ang cares enough to give Liz such ongoing personal attention.

Julia takes charge, very sensibly and competently, except when she warns Carolyn to avoid expressing emotion to her own mother.  Cassandra then appears to Liz in her room for real, which I consider impossible, and sends her into the long-anticipated coma, and once again, Julia promptly declares her dead right away.

Joe meanwhile has been semi-crazy in the foyer after failing to kidnap Amy, and while Julia's up dealing with Liz, Joe stumbles out the door for who knows where.  Crothers was really good.  Was that Cassandra's discarded hot-green dress on Liz's hearth, while she was comatose?  Everyone has a fire going tonight...
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 04:36:22 AM »
Maybe Elizabeth is at the end of her dream curse explaining the reappearing Cassandra. I remember originally thinking it was out of nowhere as I had not seen the start.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 07:13:16 AM »
Angelique was gone from Collinsport to who-knows-where supposedly, that's why it seems strange for Ang/Cass to turn up in a dream, and stranger still for her to pop in, in reality, if she did.  Cass may still have been all in Liz's mind since none of the others got to witness her in Liz's bedroom. 

I suppose Ang may be lurking around Collinsport still, since we don't find out where she goes after B&J find her coffin gone.  If she's appearing in the dream "live", instead of as some sort of implanted interactive part of the curse, I suppose she may want Liz to know it's this Cass person she argued with cursing her, to gloat, rather than showing up as some blonde Angelique person she doesn't know.  That would be confusing.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor