Author Topic: Episode 658, Joel Crothers  (Read 4739 times)

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Episode 658, Joel Crothers
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2007, 10:06:54 PM »
That last scene in the Mausoleum was kind of strange. [spoiler]Ben arrives just in time to save Barny, scuffles with Forbes and knocks him down. Forbes gets up  shortly afterwards and points the musket right at Ben, point blank range, and fires. Ben reacts as the bullet tears through his chest, and probably the heart from where he grabs, and then proceeds to give Forbes a few good shakes up against the stairs, where Forbes falls stone cold dead. Then as Natalie tries to escape, he covers her mouth for about 10 seconds to keep her from hollering to loud, and she dies immediatley.[/spoiler]Later in the episode, we see Ben finishing up his chores of burying the 2, and he seems no worse for the wear...Guess i should have posted on the thread about things that make you say "huh"? Then i realize it is Dark Shadows, and proceed to the next episode   ;D
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2007, 10:41:40 PM »
Dan's comment about casting "on type" seems off to me. After all Joel went from playing lovable Joe in the present to the unscrupulous Nathan Forbes in 1795.

With all due respect to the genius who created this great show, he was full of it. He absolutely refused to cast Alexandra as anything but the sweet heroine, yet he seemed to have forgotten that one cast member, Joel Crothers, already broke the mold of playing "on type" by playing another, totally different character and did it brilliantly.

Also I love Joel Crothers, but I wouldn't replace David Selby as Quentin for anything in the world.

Offline Nelson Collins

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2007, 11:01:51 PM »
That last scene in the Mausoleum was kind of strange.
  Ahhhh, the infamous episode 666!  >:D
There's not a man on my ottoman, there hasn't been one in weeks.
There's not a man on my ottoman, he's gone off to fight the Greeks.

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2007, 04:20:56 PM »
Ahhhh, the infamous episode 666!  >:D

IIRC (and I think I do) Willie Loomis was in that episode. [spoiler]It was when he and Julia were waiting for Barnabas' return, and fretting that he may have become trapped in the past. I think this is when Willie goes to the mausoleum, opens the coffin and it's empty, leaves and a few moments later the chains appear on the coffin. He goes back to the Old House where Josette's ghost lets him know Barnabas is in danger, he and Julia hightail it back to the mausoleum where they find Barnabas in the coffin. So this was not an unlucky episode after all. It was a great episode.[/spoiler]

Alondra
[/b]

Offline Jackie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Dark_Shadows_Original_Series-1966-71
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2007, 06:43:25 PM »
IIRC (and I think I do) Willie Loomis was in that episode. [spoiler]It was when he and Julia were waiting for Barnabas' return, and fretting that he may have become trapped in the past. I think this is when Willie goes to the mausoleum, opens the coffin and it's empty, leaves and a few moments later the chains appear on the coffin. He goes back to the Old House where Josette's ghost lets him know Barnabas is in danger, he and Julia hightail it back to the mausoleum where they find Barnabas in the coffin. So this was not an unlucky episode after all. It was a great episode.[/spoiler][/b]

Yeap, that's the episode.  It also has [spoiler]Ben protecting Barnabas from Nathan and the countess from killing him.  Ben kills them both to protect Barnabas.[/spoiler]
[/color]
Robservations & slideshow every week day at
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Dark_Shadows_Original_Series/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2007, 08:19:12 PM »
Yeap, that's the episode.  It also has [spoiler]Ben protecting Barnabas from Nathan and the countess from killing him.  Ben kills them both to protect Barnabas.[/spoiler][/color]

tripwire describes that scene in detail in Reply #15 at the top of this page.

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2007, 04:00:52 PM »
With all due respect to the genius who created this great show, he was full of it.

In more ways than one.  He claimed HE came up w/DS when all he did was have a dream about a girl on a train ending up at a house on a hill.  Art Wallace is the genius who actually came up w/DS.  If you were at the Fest where the stars recreated his TV drama The House, which aired in the late 50's, you'll know what I mean.  It was DS a few years before DS even existed.  ;)
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 03:21:11 AM »
In Return to Collinwood , Joe had died in a fishing boat accident "over a decade ago "  . While I was thrilled that Joe had gotten out of Windcliffe and married Maggie, I hated that they had him die so young . He could just as easily have died only a year or two ago. Maybe they wanted Maggie to have had a long grieving period before moving on with Quentin .
As for finding a place in the story for Joe, he could've been the werewolf instead of Chris . He could've been a late bloomer , maybe the curse wouldn't kick in until the victim was the same age as Quentin when he killed Jenny . Then Joe could've had all of Chris' s storyline , and Maggie could 've filled in for most of what Sabrina did ( excpet for the catatonia s/l  ) .
Not that I 'd want to get rid of Don Briscoe either , but his role was created as Joe was being worked out .

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 03:30:51 AM »
I hated that they had him die so young .

Well, there's so much about Return To Collinwood to dislike - but chiefly IMO is having Carolyn married to Ned! Carolyn had already displayed extremely poor judgment by marrying Jeb - having her also marry Ned, well, let's just say that immediately afterwards the family should have had the marriage annulled and Carolyn should have been shipped off to Windcliff to spend the rest of her life in a padded room.  [wink2]

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 03:37:27 AM »
Well, there's so much about Return To Collinwood to dislike - but chiefly IMO is having Carolyn married to Ned! Carolyn had already displayed extremely poor judgment by marrying Jeb - having her also marry Ned, well, let's just say that immediately afterwards the family should have had the marriage annulled and Carolyn should have been shipped off to Windcliff to spend the rest of her life in a padded room.  [wink2]

Sheesh, you think they would have paired Carolyn with someone else where it would have made sense like Adam or Tony Peterson. Heck, even pairing her with Buzz Hackett would have made more sense than having her wind up with Ned.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2007, 03:43:57 AM »
I didn't like Ned on the original series ( while I did like him as Peter/Jeff) , but I liked him ok in Return to Collinwood.Older Ned seemed more calm and stable thanhe'd been on tv. The marraige didn't make sense on paper , but I guess Tony Peterson and Adam weren't available . I kind of liked them togather in RTC , I 'm glad that Carolyn seemed to have a happy marriage .

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2007, 03:54:42 AM »

That's for sure. If she married Ned, she would have been showing even worse judgement in men than Vicki who [spoiler]had dated and been engaged to Burke (twice her age and who treated her like a child) and married Jeff/Peter who was of course played by the same actor who played Ned, who hasn't been winning any popularity contests with the members of this board.[/spoiler]

Welcome to the board quentincollins, Quentin is my second favorite character behind Willie Loomis. :D

Alondra

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2007, 03:57:28 AM »
Well, unfortunately I never got a chance to catch Return to Collinwood, so I guess that's why I have a hard time believing Carolyn could ever have gotten together with Ned.

And also I don't see the chemistry between Nancy and Roger Davis. Maybe the actors or the writers did. But it's a mystery to me.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2007, 04:09:38 AM »
Get all the DS audiod you can , they're awesome . Honestly , the Big Finish audios have a better story , more of a continuing series . Return is more of a Reunion movie . There's so many beloved characters returning , it's a blast , but the story doesn't do much more than just set the stage for the characters to return . Still a blast , but not as much plot.
Ned was an obnoxious boor on tv , but in the audio he's mellowed considerably into a doting husband .Really , Roger Daivs could be playing an all new character he's so different . They just used Ned because he was Roger Davis's only surviving modern day character . While on paper it sounds like an awful idea , imo , the actor's chemistry and the story makes it work .
Personally , I'd love to see a follow up to Return ( and release Vengeance on cd too ! ) , where Peter/Jeff and Vicky return to the present and Jeff and Ned meet ( they would be brothers in law after all ) .

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2007, 04:12:26 AM »
Is Return to Collinwood still available? If it is, any ideas where I could find it?