Author Topic: ENEMIES & ALLIES  (Read 1074 times)

Offline VAM

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
ENEMIES & ALLIES
« on: October 30, 2002, 02:10:27 AM »
"Enemies become allies quicker than friends," says Barnabas. This is an interesting statement considering the circumstances. How do you interpret this quote?
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: ENEMIES & ALLIES
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2002, 02:26:20 AM »
I took it that he was commenting that  the mercenary nature of the two enemies would lead them to unite the moment it would be to their benefit to do.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2002, 02:40:35 AM »
I took it that he was commenting that  the mercenary nature of the two enemies would lead them to unite the moment it would be to their benefit to do.

...as world history has proven, time and time again.

Dom

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2002, 12:43:28 PM »

I thought the same thing Kuanyin.

Also Barnabas is there for a reason and that is to save David from total possesion by Quentin's ghost.
It's obvious that Barnabas knows that Quentin fate was sealed at a young age & he more than likely knows that it was probably a tragic one at that, and also that it's possibly connected to Chris Jennings in some strange way.

Given these little known facts, Barnabas knows that probably sometime soon in the future that Quentin is going to be needing his help in some way, although he doesn't know what kind of help as of yet.  And of course, Barnabas realizes that in order to help David, he needs to help Quentin first.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2002, 07:44:20 PM »
"Enemies become allies quicker than friends," says Barnabas. This is an interesting statement considering the circumstances. How do you interpret this quote?

I think Barnabas is also remembering his own experience.  In 1967 his greatest enemy Julia became his greatest ally.

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 08:25:46 PM »
I think Baranabas was being rhetorical, sending out a clever (if not cryptic) warning to Magda. He let her know (practically in the same breath) that he is aware that she is playing one side against the other. You know, like, "I can be your best friend or your worst enemy." I'd say that is pretty much the atmosphere on the Collinwood estate at the moment. Of course, that is usually the mood during any time period at Collinwood.

Dom

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2002, 08:29:07 PM »

I think Barnabas is also remembering his own experience.  In 1967 his greatest enemy Julia became his greatest ally.

Bette

How about his greatest enemy Angelique? She ended up being the one woman he really loved.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!