Author Topic: What is that thing?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
What is that thing?
« on: October 29, 2002, 01:12:48 PM »
What is that lavendar colored thing suppose to be in the center of the Old House's drawing room?  Was this some kind of furniture that people used to sit on back in the 1800's?  I've noticed that Carl and few others were sitting on it today.  And if it was used for a seat then what the heck is that thing in the middle suppose to be?  Im just curious because I've never seen anything like this before.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What is that thing?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2002, 04:52:11 PM »
    I remember back in the sixties going to a fancy theater and one of those round seats was in the lobby but the color was pale gold velveteen.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2002, 09:48:57 PM »
I'm not sure what it's offical name was....but it was intended for use in public spaces.  Several strangers could sit on it without the same sense of intruding on one another's space you would have had with a sofa.

Off hand, I think the most likely place to find one would have been the front parlor of the local whorehouse. ::)

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 10:50:20 PM »
I'm not sure what it's offical name was....but it was intended for use in public spaces.  Several strangers could sit on it without the same sense of intruding on one another's space you would have had with a sofa.

Off hand, I think the most likely place to find one would have been the front parlor of the local whorehouse. ::)

Raineypark

Funny you mention strangers in the same post with whorehouse...
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2002, 11:05:23 PM »
These things (whatever they are) are still being sold today. I've seen them recently (and in years past) in Neiman Marcus and Horchow catalogs, though much more elaborate in their design. Neiman Marcus calls their version, "The Confidante".

My favorite piece of "new" furniture on the show is that three seater contraption in the drawing room at Collinwood. I first spotted it eons ago in the green border DS trading cards but I thought it was S-shaped. I never realized until I saw it the other day that it sat three (even though I have seen this portion of the 1897 time-line once before). I got a kick out of watching Edward trying to maneuver himself properly into his seat after Judith and Quentin had chosen their spots. (Shades of Moe, Larry, & Curly, lol!)

I want one!

Dom

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2002, 12:20:33 AM »
I've seen those round sofa-thingies in lobbies of hotels. One might imagine Sandor and Madga "absconded" with one they "found." ;-)

I love that chair/sofa combo on the Old House drawing room - it looks like two chairs on each end joined by a sofa in the middle.

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2002, 05:55:56 AM »
     The big, round thingy in the Old House was, in its stiff way, the giant group bean bag chair of its day.  Not really, but it was, and is, called a pouf.  Sometimes it is spelled "poof," same diff.  The idea of it being suited to a hotel lobby is an apt one-  the piece is designed to seat several people, perhaps waiting people, and does not seem as prone to friendly conversational use as for general resting, reading, etc.  The three-seater in the Collinwood drawing room was, however, designed for conversation and intimate tete-a-tete.  They were also made for two, for couple fun!  The fancy red sofa in the drawing room is a type of Davenport sofa of the era.  

There is an amazing greenish colored chair that shows up at the Old House more prominently, at a later date.  I don't know what it is called, but the darned thing has a back that envelops the user most completely!  It almost looks like a dome!  Reminds me of the old "stereo chair" of the 1960's, with a classier, victorian feel.

petofi

Offline yendor

• Junior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2002, 06:19:50 AM »
Wasn't that same piece of "furniture" in Hell's lobby when Quentin and Amanda were dealing with Mr. Best?

Rod

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2002, 07:32:05 AM »
I've seen those round sofa-thingies in lobbies of hotels.

I just saw one a little while ago when I was watching Haunted Tuesday's - "Haunted Hotels" on the Travel Channel. It happened to be lavendar too!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2002, 11:47:57 AM »
Petofi Wrote:
The big, round thingy in the Old House was, in its stiff way, the giant group bean bag chair of its day.  Not really, but it was, and is, called a pouf.  Sometimes it is spelled "poof," same diff.  The idea of it being suited to a hotel lobby is an apt one-  the piece is designed to seat several people, perhaps waiting people, and does not seem as prone to friendly conversational use as for general resting, reading, etc.

Thanks Petofi for this info.  Now that you've mentioned it I can see it better suited for use in public places such as hotels, etc.  It's certainly a strange looking thing but it does look kind of comfortable and seems to take up less space than more conventional pieces of furniture does.

I just saw one a little while ago when I was watching Haunted Tuesday's - "Haunted Hotels" on the Travel Channel. It happened to be lavendar too!

LOL!!   Maybe they borrowed it from the set! ;-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2002, 12:46:09 PM »
Dom Wrote;
These things (whatever they are) are still being sold today. I've seen them recently (and in years past) in Neiman Marcus and Horchow catalogs, though much more elaborate in their design. Neiman Marcus calls their version, "The Confidante".

You know I get these two catalogs all the time and I've never noticed it!  Im going to be looking more carefully through them from now on! ;-)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2002, 02:00:01 AM »
Don't bother, Cassandra, here they are. I can't decide which piece would be more suitable for which mansion? I'm leaning toward the red for both because the white one comes across as a bit too modern for either Collinwood or The Old House. What do you think?

dom

P.S. Just think, if Paul had turned out to be a good husband, that could be our Liz descending into the newly remodeled foyer of Collinwood.

<pictures removed to save bandwidth>

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2002, 02:05:01 AM »
Any designer who could take our beloved Collinwood entry and change it into THAT should be promptly boiled in oil! >:(

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline sheenasma

• Full Poster
  • Sheena
    • View Profile
    • NancyMck's Dark Shadows Events
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2002, 02:11:53 AM »

There is an amazing greenish colored chair that shows up at the Old House more prominently, at a later date.  I don't know what it is called, but the darned thing has a back that envelops the user most completely!  It almost looks like a dome!  Reminds me of the old "stereo chair" of the 1960's, with a classier, victorian feel.

petofi

Its a Sleepy Hollow Chair.

n
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau

Screw Thoreau - sheenasma
GHP

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2002, 02:16:42 AM »

LOL!!   Maybe they borrowed it from the set! ;-)

Wouldn't that be a trip? How appropriate that it should end up in a haunted hotel!
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan