Author Topic: Dark Shadows Masterpiece Theatre  (Read 1284 times)

Offline Maria_Merriweather

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Dark Shadows Masterpiece Theatre
« on: October 28, 2002, 06:57:35 PM »
The close-knit Collinses of 1897 spend a lot of time [argue]. I think the period costumes and sets rival anything seen on one of those family sagas on Masterpiece Theatre.  Only they have a vampire.[vampy] I could imagine someone like Alistair Cooke introducing each episode and describing the family intrigue. IMHO the acting is just as good. Loved Carl's haircut and jacket (very sixties).
MM

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Shadows Masterpiece Theatre
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 08:54:49 PM »
Oh!  Perfect reference!  This is "Upstairs, Downstairs" all over again! [lghy].  I think the scene with all 4 siblings in the drawing room, accusing one another of "knowing the secret" had the best stage blocking and some of the most crisply written dialogue this show's ever had!

Yes, I'm afraid poor Carl looks like an escapee from Carnaby Street....AND Bedlam! Put him together with Magda and Sandor and you've got your own Circus!

Does anyone know what, if any, influence John Karlen had on the creation of Carl's character?  He's obviously having a ball playing the Merry Prankster![crazd]

And I'd imagine they ALL had a wicked time taping THIS storyline...especially after the excrutiating drudgery of the Adam-and-Eve story! :P

Raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2002, 09:17:14 PM »
Does anyone know what, if any, influence John Karlen had on the creation of Carl's character?  He's obviously having a ball playing the Merry Prankster![crazd]

I wish I could answer that specifically Raineypark.  After watching the interview with John Karlen on one of the DVD's this weekend I got the general and distinct impression Karlen just loves playing people on the edge...the wackier the better.  And, it shows in the great job he does!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2002, 02:51:32 AM »
I've made the "Masterpiece Theatre" comparison in the past regarding the 1795 storyline -- and was thinking the same thing now as I watch 1897 for the second time. At first I hesitated about your point that the acting in these recent DS eps is just as good ... it all depends on the individual Masterpiece Theatre presentation as some have better acting than others.

However, having stopped watching "The Forsyte Saga" after episode two (though not primarily because of the acting, although I couldn't take any more of the Irene character), I would have to say that DS is a lot more fun (than Forsyte) at this point!
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2002, 04:13:00 AM »
Loved Carl's haircut and jacket (very sixties).

And very Oscar Wildeish!

Gerard

Offline petofi

• Full Poster
  • " Collinwood '68 - Fashions courtesy of Ohrbach's"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2002, 04:35:49 AM »
    The writing at this early point in the 1897 storyline is extremely witty(witness the seeming never-ending wisecracks, particularly from the point of view of Quentin) and, indeed, Wildeian in nature!  

Characters like Quentin and Carl, at this point, are wonderful valves through which to pepper a potentially standard "Granny's will" theme with steam jets of humor, wit and intrigue.  I would hazard a guess that the writers were relieved and envigorated by the possibility of leaving the flourescent lights of 1968 for the gaslight of 1897!

petofi

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2002, 02:52:09 AM »

However, having stopped watching "The Forsyte Saga" after episode two (though not primarily because of the acting, although I couldn't take any more of the Irene character), I would have to say that DS is a lot more fun (than Forsyte) at this point!

Oh really? I'm enjoying it immensely! Up to last Sunday I hated Irenie AND Soames, but now she is getting better. I do think it is hilarious that putting a soap opera in period style makes it classy! (Ok the acting and the writing is better than most soaps but the story line is just trashy fun!)
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2002, 06:19:45 AM »
I have been watching the Forsyte Saga also.  Actually, I am enjoying it.  Saw the old movie with Grear Garson as Irene she was better than this actress.  Soames bothers me he reminds me of someone I know and that really scares me.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2002, 06:29:39 AM »
I have been watching the Forsyte Saga also.  Actually, I am enjoying it.  Saw the old movie with Grear Garson as Irene she was better than this actress.  Soames bothers me he reminds me of someone I know and that really scares me.
Birdie

I like the actor playing Soames and feel much more sympathy for him than I did with Irene.  Not sure if it was the actress or the character who I couldn't stand since I'm not familiar with the book or other versions, nor have I seen this actress previously.

Kuanyin -- yes it really is a soap, isn't it.

Petofi, et al. ... regarding Carl Collins as Wildean:  Most interesting, I hadn't thought of that.  As I remember posting last time 1897 aired, I see Carl as an eccentric right out of the pages of a Dickens novel.

And Rachel Drummond is also very Dickensian.

Poor Dickens has a bad rap about his portrayal of female characters.  True, he has some innocent, virtuous too-good-to-be-true female characters, but he has a *lot* of variety beyond that.

Incidentally, I think Rachel Drummond is one of KLS's best performances.  She is quietly effective in the role and completely believable within the character's constraints.  And constraints are key to understanding the role in Victorian society of someone like Rachel Drummond.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995