Author Topic: Who is their mother supposed to be?  (Read 2239 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Who is their mother supposed to be?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2002, 02:09:36 AM »

What really pi$$es me off is that a large part of the commercial breaks during DS are devoted to Sci Fi's own self-promotion rather than paid-for advertising; so they are not making cuts for the sake of raking in extra sponsor dollars but rather for their own promos. >:-(

And yet, they NEVER promote DS at all. I think a substantial number of people would be start watching if they only knew that it was on. It is on at an odd time, and most people who work don't scan the tv guide for shows when they aren't home to watch them (though they may tape them if they realize it is something they like). And those who work will never by chance come across it, since it is always preempted on a holiday. WHY NOT a Dark Shadows Marathon, I ask???
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2002, 02:40:23 AM »
Whaaaaat?  I don't suppose there is any way to get Sci-Fi to air the eps in their entirety?  That's very disappointing.  Does anyone know if they are responsive to letter writing or e-mails?  I've sent both in the past, thanking them for continuing to air "Dark Shadows," but never heard anything back.  Not that I really expected to.
I suppose we should be glad that they're showing the thing at all. >:(

Unfortunately, it's a sad fact that just about all shows that ran from the 1950s to the 1980s are edited. Shows from the 70s & 80s (and part of the 60s) are usually 25 minutes long uncut. Shows from the 50s are generally a minute or two longer. Most networks (including Nick-at-Nite, TV Land, etc) edit them down to 22 to 22 and a half minutes. DS is actually pretty lucky, since soaps were shorter back then, DS doesn't have as much cut out of it. Unforetunately, other networks don't use most of their commercial breaks for their own promos like Sci Fi :(

I doubt the MPI tapes are edited unless something was damaged. I know they edited one episode by putting the opening picture on longer for a few seconds, but I doubt they did this in incidents unlike that one. Most companies release their TV shows uncut unless they are one of the ones that put shows on VHS that are in the 'open' market (IE their syndication/video release hold on them by their original companies no longer exist) and MPI, from what I've seen, isn't one of them.

Offline JWGucciEnvy

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Soap Opera Saga
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2002, 06:48:30 AM »
Every few years commercials are granted more airtime.

Plus even on reruns of recent shows are edited. Example, Will and Grace and Friends.

Makes me wonder what they are going to do with those special 40 minutes shows.  

I wish the networks could find a better to make money, then from the ads.  Which totally determined if a show gets cancel or not.

I love Soap Operas & Comic Books