Author Topic: Who is their mother supposed to be?  (Read 2240 times)

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
Who is their mother supposed to be?
« on: October 28, 2002, 08:15:16 AM »
Is it ever mentioned who Judith,Carl,Quentin,and Edward's mother supposed to be?...Since Edith is their Grandmother..i figure maybe they have a mother unmentioned or something.

Adra
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Who is their mother supposed to be?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2002, 08:35:12 AM »
Good Question, Adra! It never even occurred to me. Both parents of Edward, Judith, Quentin, & Carl must be of the 1840 brood, and obviously both dead. I can't wait to see the answer, and how the DS writers screwed this up too.

Curious Dom

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2002, 08:41:51 AM »
Oh Dom, you really did change to an Angels avatar!  You poor thing-- I know that hurt.

Offline tripwire

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2002, 08:59:21 AM »
wtg angels!!!  [beer] [thumb]
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2002, 10:12:05 AM »
The parents are never identified.  We meet a younger Edith in 1840 (but you'll find lots of inconsistencies there!).  She and her husband (to avoid spoilers I won't bother naming him) do have children, but we never meet them or learn anything about them.  Since these are all Collinses, clearly it's a son of hers who had them.  But, we don't even know anything about him, let alone who his wife was.  At this point we just have to assume they are both dead since there's Grandmama and her 4 grandchildren.
Josette

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2002, 04:47:32 PM »
In 1967, Victoria Winters and Burke Devlin want to move to a house called Seaview on the Collins Estate.

However, the previous owner, Caleb Sayers Collins, left a provision in his will that no one is to live there for 100 years after his death (1872).  Caleb Sayers could have been one of Edith's sons, though not the father of the 1897 brood.  He is never mentioned again on the series.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2002, 05:32:50 PM »
In 1967, Victoria Winters and Burke Devlin want to move to a house called Seaview on the Collins Estate.

However, the previous owner, Caleb Sayers Collins, left a provision in his will that no one is to live there for 100 years after his death (1872).  Caleb Sayers could have been one of Edith's sons, though not the father of the 1897 brood.  He is never mentioned again on the series.

Wasn't there also mention of the initials 'McF'? Barnabas brought a handerchief supposedly from upstairs at Seaview to show to Victoria.  Burke gave him a sour look after he did so knowing the Victoria is once again impressed by something old from the past given to her by Barnabas.

Scary stuff must have been going on at Collinwood while Roger and Elizabeth were growing up.  Roger talks about it once but it was never expanded upon it.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2002, 09:08:56 PM »

I'm really impressed by your memory Joeytrom!
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2002, 02:43:02 AM »
Their father was Geoffrey, he was in the cast credit list as a name that was only referred to. I looked for a similar entry for the mother and didn't find one.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
  • Julia . . . Julia . . . when you do the experiment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2002, 04:02:25 AM »
The parents are never identified.  We meet a younger Edith in 1840 (but you'll find lots of inconsistencies there!).  She and her husband (to avoid spoilers I won't bother naming him) do have children, but we never meet them or learn anything about them.

Actually, Edith speaks of her husband Gabriel, and how cruel Gabriel's father was to him, in 1897. I noticed this scene was cut from the Sci Fi Channel's most recent airing of these episodes. (I guess they need more time for all those self-promotions.)

In 1840, we twice hear mention of Edith and Gabriel's sons (plural) - and how they were sent away to boarding school. This is the only mention of their children so far as I know.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2002, 04:06:03 AM »
Their father was Geoffrey, he was in the cast credit list as a name that was only referred to. I looked for a similar entry for the mother and didn't find one.

Yes, I have seen a family tree that identifies the father of Edward, Judith, Quentin and Carl as Geoffrey, the middle child of Edith and Gabriel. Their other sons names were Caleb and Charles. I do not know where this information came from, as I do not recall mention of Geoffrey on the series; however, this tree leaves blank all unknowns, so it does not seem to resort to fan fic or speculation but rather relies on only established fact. It's possible that a mention of Geoffrey was made on the show, but cut from the re-issued tapes. I know that the Sci Fi channel cuts the episodes to make room for more commercial time.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2002, 07:31:54 PM »
Whaaaaat?  I don't suppose there is any way to get Sci-Fi to air the eps in their entirety?  That's very disappointing.  Does anyone know if they are responsive to letter writing or e-mails?  I've sent both in the past, thanking them for continuing to air "Dark Shadows," but never heard anything back.  Not that I really expected to.

I suppose we should be glad that they're showing the thing at all. >:(
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2002, 12:18:19 AM »
Whaaaaat?  I don't suppose there is any way to get Sci-Fi to air the eps in their entirety?  That's very disappointing.  

I assume the MPI tapes are not edited, but it's quite possible a few of the original (master) tapes had to be cut here and there for technical reasons, so bits and pieces may have been lost from the original airings.

Offline Happybat

• Full Poster
  • Jag gillar Dark Shadows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2002, 12:32:53 AM »

Actually, Edith speaks of her husband Gabriel, and how cruel Gabriel's father was to him, in 1897. I noticed this scene was cut from the Sci Fi Channel's most recent airing of these episodes.

Maybe I'm hallucinating here, but I seem to remember a scene just recently where Edith was referring to her husband's father as treating him badly.  She also mentioned a picnic the Collins family had just prior to her marriage.  So just what scene was cut?  [hdscrt]
Happybat

"One can only truly understand what one can create"--Giambattista Vico, Italian philosopher

Offline Dr. Eric Lang

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2002, 12:49:25 AM »

Maybe I'm hallucinating here, but I seem to remember a scene just recently where Edith was referring to her husband's father as treating him badly.  She also mentioned a picnic the Collins family had just prior to her marriage.  So just what scene was cut?  [hdscrt]

The last time I saw the 1897 episodes I was surprised to hear elderly Edith refer to Gabriel by name. This is long before they ever thought of the 1840 story line so I was impressed they referred to this history when they finally got around to it. I don't remember the specific instance but it was missing from these airings.

What really pi$$es me off is that a large part of the commercial breaks during DS are devoted to Sci Fi's own self-promotion rather than paid-for advertising; so they are not making cuts for the sake of raking in extra sponsor dollars but rather for their own promos. >:-(