Author Topic: Grandmama  (Read 3222 times)

Offline Afan

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
  • Another body from Collinwood for me to autopsy!
    • View Profile
Re: Grandmama
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2002, 03:20:43 AM »
SPOILER...

?!?I am confused (ala Vicki) I thought that Gabriel, her husband, strangled Edith in 1840.  Terry played Edith in that time period.  Am I wrong? Is this a different Edith? Or did the writers goof again?
Afan
Where are they getting these bodies, Mulder,  are they making them?

Afan

Offline VictoriaWintersRox

• Full Poster
  • Vickified
    • View Profile
    • The Regal Beagle
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2002, 03:51:00 AM »
SPOILERS.....

?!?I am confused (ala Vicki) I thought that Gabriel, her husband, strangled Edith in 1840.  Terry played Edith in that time period.  Am I wrong? Is this a different Edith? Or did the writers goof again?
Afan

Yep, it's the same Edith. It's very messed up. Someone in 1970 must've been thinking "Oh, remember that old lady in 1897? Let's bring her back!". By the end of the storyline they must've forgotten about that and just proceded to get rid of her. Another continuity mix up.

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2002, 04:47:09 AM »
Great dialogue today.  Thourghly enjoyed catching up wtih the last couple of days shows.  I thought the Grandmother was wonderful, yes odd, not so nice but intriqueing charactor.  Too tired to say or try to spell much more tonight.

I think I will have pleasant dreams after watching a certian tall, dark, and handsome man.  Be still my heart.

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2002, 05:28:26 AM »

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

SPOILER...

Afan

It's the same Edith.  Big, big continuity error.  My favorite explanation stems from an essay in one of the corcordances.  Namely, that Edith, who had been initiated into Gerard's coven, struck some sort of a deal after being strangled and "came back to life," presumably wrested control of the finances and family from Quentin I and Tad and ruled the Collins clan until senility set in.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2002, 07:48:41 AM »

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

It's the same Edith.  Big, big continuity error.  My favorite explanation stems from an essay in one of the corcordances.  Namely, that Edith, who had been initiated into Gerard's coven, struck some sort of a deal after being strangled and "came back to life," presumably wrested control of the finances and family from Quentin I and Tad and ruled the Collins clan until senility set in.

Luciaphil

works for me!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Connie

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2002, 11:35:50 AM »

What are the others? I am willing to bet they are also from the lips of Quentin!;)

Hmm...my mind's a blank at the moment.  But ya know a line I liked from one of yesterday's shows?  When Magda comes to give Grandmamamamamama the message about the mysterious visitor, and Judith goes:
"I'll leave YOU to listen to the warning, Quentin.  I think it's only fair that it should pass from one charlatan to another."

ROFL!  That was great.

-CLC  ;)

Oh!  This has nothing to do with Grandmamamamama, but ya know what I appreciated about the second show yesterday?  In that great scene with Beth and Quentin when she slaps him.  For once we got a real slap in the face -- not a phony one with a sound effect.

[thumb]  

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2002, 03:37:51 PM »
I guess it was a blooper when she called him Edward instead of Quentin but many older people are forgetful--they will go through several names before they get it right.

Gotta agree there MM...there were 10 children in my mom's family and by the time my grandmother hit her mid-60's there were about 40 plus grandchildren too.  Some days you never knew who was going to get called by what name.  So, that scene seemed perfectly normal to my ears (then and now) [roll3].  

As to Quentin's (Selby's) appeal, as far as I can tell, it seems to span a huge age range.  My mom is 77 and she thinks he's pretty hot [nuts] too - loves his eyes (she also thought he was the only person on Falcon Crest who could act).  When we were at the 2001 Fest in NYC, my sister and I got her a signed 8X10 glossy of him.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Connie

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2002, 04:05:54 PM »
My mom is 77 and she thinks he's pretty hot [nuts] too - loves his eyes (she also thought he was the only person on Falcon Crest who could act).

Well, your mom is absolutely right.
[beer]

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2002, 04:18:14 PM »

Gotta agree there MM...there were 10 children in my mom's family and by the time my grandmother hit her mid-60's there were about 40 plus grandchildren too.  Some days you never knew who was going to get called by what name.  So, that scene seemed perfectly normal to my ears (then and now) [roll3]

Hey, I'm 53 and I do that now. Even my husband sometimes gets called by the cats name and vice versa!
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Eleanor_Rigby

• Full Poster
  • So it goes -- Kilgore Trout
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2002, 05:44:11 PM »
Grandmama looks and acts like an old dear but there is something very odd about the way she interacts with the family.

Today her grandson chokes and threatens her but when Judith comes in and interrupts, Grandmama does not tell on Quentin.

That's odd, isn't it?  Maybe she is trying to protect Quentin but why?

She treats Judith like a servant.  She treats Edward like some kind of king.

No wonder they squabble with and hold grudges against each other.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2002, 05:54:27 PM »

Luciaphil

That's the best explaination I hear Luciaphil ;)

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2002, 06:37:07 PM »
uhh do they ever say where the Terrible Trios parents are?  Why is JUST Grandmama around?
Julia99

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2002, 11:33:53 PM »
I'm with Luciaphil.  Grandmama(ma) was NOT some sweet old lady.  My guess is she'd dabbled in the dark arts before we first see her.  She might very well have 'taken care' of the prior generation of Collinses so that she could rule the roost with no interference.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2002, 10:04:34 AM »

Today her grandson chokes and threatens her but when Judith comes in and interrupts, Grandmama does not tell on Quentin.

That's odd, isn't it?  Maybe she is trying to protect Quentin but why?

The only plausible explanation I can come up with is that she knew Quentin was just trying to scare the secret out of her, and that he wouldn't actually kill her.

Dom

Connie

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2002, 11:37:13 AM »
The only plausible explanation I can come up with is that she knew Quentin was just trying to scare the secret out of her, and that he wouldn't actually kill her.

I agree.  She knows him only too well.  When she was talking to Judith afterwards, she merely referred to him as a "bully".

(Yes...he's very naughty).  ;)