Author Topic: I don't get the clothing!  (Read 2228 times)

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
I don't get the clothing!
« on: July 02, 2002, 10:13:24 AM »
This is absolutely a trivial comment like only I can make but WHAT was with the wardrobe. . sometimes we are subjected to seeing the most horrendous outfits over and over again . .e.g. Maggie's quilt skirt, Cass's butterfly dress and Julia's green suit. . then there are things you see only once, outfits that actually looked nice. .e.g. Julia grey-stripe dress today. . nice outfit. . do we see it again? and she wore the really tight yellow dress with a wide belt & collar only once or twice. . .and then Elizabeth's fabulous outfit from the show's Day #1. . did she **ever** wear that dress and jewelry again??
Julia99

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
Re: I don't get the clothing!
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2002, 12:05:19 PM »
That's how we dressed back in the late Sixties, plus they are wearing cast-offs from Ohrbach's, which probably provided the clothing free for being advertised in the ending credits.       They rarely dressed Julia nicely, but Joan Bennett seemed to get all the prettiest clothing on the show, undoubtedly written into her contract.  

Carolyn sometimes wore attractive outfits, but they persisted in putting Vicki in ugly tents or sleeveless horrors that did not become her.  

Love, Robin

Offline Rydell

• "It's an old, family name."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2002, 07:07:56 PM »
I had one of those quilted skirts in the early 70's.
(and lived to tell)
"To be is to do." - Socrates
"To do is to be." - Sartre
"Do be do be do." - Sinatra

Offline VAM

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Adding to my canvas of life...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2002, 07:35:21 PM »
They rarely dressed Julia nicely, but Joan Bennett seemed to get all the prettiest clothing on the show, undoubtedly written into her contract.

Perhaps,  the outfits were from Miss Bennett's personal wardrobe. This would definitely help Dan Curtis' budget for the show...I read somewhere that sometimes Soap Stars used "street" clothing.
It is a good day because I am still ticking!

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2002, 07:58:56 PM »
At least Maggie's wardrobe will improve immensely once they start getting her duds at Junior Sophisticates.

Gerard

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2002, 01:35:16 AM »
(and lived to tell)

Same here! Naggie has another dress that is a clone of what I had, a window pane print, that is not check or plaid, and I forget what they were called. I was absolutely thrilled my quilt skirt for a short time.

My guess is that Grayson occasionally used her own clothing. I'm sure that her contract didn't include getting any. However, it would not have been unusual for a star of Bennett's caliber to have it written in her contract that she could have her wardrobe. I imagine she quickly snagged the better ones.

Personally, I've never agreed that Vicky looked bad in the sleeveless dresses. I think they worked better on her than the frump cardigan/skirt sets and she doesn't seem like the type for fussier styles either.

All in all, the show is a time warp back to my youth. Yes, we really DID dress like that and we thought we looked good! (Of course, when you are young enough anything looks better. Given that criteria, it is a wonder Joan and Grayson look as good as they do.)
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2002, 03:22:46 AM »
This is absolutely a trivial comment like only I can make but WHAT was with the wardrobe. . sometimes we are subjected to seeing the most horrendous outfits over and over again . .

All I can say is...you had to be there, lol.  The wardrobe the "present day" Collins clan wore was actually an accurate representation of what we were wearing at the time.  I hate to admit it, but I owned one of those "quilt" skirts too!
I've read comments on another list about people's ages, etc., so know how old you are J99...see what you missed out on???  ;-)

MrsJ.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2002, 06:02:53 AM »
You know it just got worse i like some of these things compared to the late 70s and disco clothes! give me Talbots and the classics anyday,though
jennifer
who really did own a golf Izod shirt in almost every color in 1978
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Bette

• Full Poster
  • Quentin, you have no future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2002, 06:36:39 AM »
(and lived to tell)

Hate to admit it, but so did I. Didn't wear it very often though. It was impractical. I also had a dress very much like Maggie's blue and orange number. That one, I wore a lot.  [scrm]

Bette
Life works if you let it

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2002, 02:07:59 PM »
. .and then Elizabeth's fabulous outfit from the show's Day #1. . did she **ever** wear that dress and jewelry again??

The jewelry shows up again.  I know for sure that she wore those earrings several times, possibly as Judith.

I personally second the thought of the other poster (name???) who suggested that  Joan's clothes did not in fact come from another place.  Admittedly, she could probably have put on a burlap bag and made it look like Chanel, but her duds generally seemed to be of a much higher quality than the rest of the Orhbach's wear.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2002, 02:25:47 PM »
Jennifer,
             I too had Izod golf shirts in every color.  I am not ashamed to admitt it. I still prefer the "preppy" look.  Also had cords in every color.  It still amazes me to go shopping and now see the clothes that were popular in the 70th's now on the shelves.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2002, 02:28:13 PM »
who really did own a golf Izod shirt in almost every color in 1978

And did you wear them and two other shirts at the same time.  The so called "preppy" look?  I did!

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2002, 11:40:51 PM »
And did you wear them and two other shirts at the same time.  The so called "preppy" look?  I did!

But of course! still do!

jennifer
i'm with you Birdie when you look at pictures years later
you well 'normal" can't believe peasants shirts are back!
Long live pink and green!
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2002, 12:50:37 AM »
OK, I get the clothing. But, WHAT WERE WE THINKING WITH THE CENTER HAIR PART?????

What an unflattering style, why couldn't we see that in the mirror?
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2002, 07:25:30 AM »
OK, I get the clothing. But, WHAT WERE WE THINKING WITH THE CENTER HAIR PART?????

What an unflattering style, why couldn't we see that in the mirror?

I know that was so ugly and the long hair with it that was usually longer than our dresses !ala Marcia Brady

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV