Author Topic: DARK SHADOWS HISTORY! (merged with: The Original Ended 38 Years Ago Today!)  (Read 4950 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I was only a gleam in my mother's eye...so I can't participate but I do know that horrible feeling of a favorite show ending.  I actually like 1841 PT, it's very romantic and gothic.  It's not my favorite and I would have preferred to have the show end in the present but that wasn't going to happen since Jon wasn't gonna play Barney anymore.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i wasn't born when the series orignally aired but i'm sure i would have been devastated by it's cancellation had i been a fan at the time.

however i have to say that as a contemporary viewer i have found the five year cycle to be quite satisfying.1200+ episodes of any series is hard to digest.to tell you the truth by the time of the 1840 storyline the series was losing steam for me and had begun to feel like a rehash.i grew bored.

i'm not sure how much more i could have watched so the five year run works for me. [easter_tongue]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Bob_the_Bartender

• Senior Poster
  • "Serenity is my favorite emotion."
    • View Profile
Yeah, if the show had to end, I was glad that it went off during that absolutely God-awful 1840PT storyline.  Yet, even back on April 2, 1971, I felt terrible that we never got to find out what was going on with Barnabas, Julia, Willie, Liz, etc. back in "real-time" 1971.   What a bummer.... [easter_sad] [easter_cry]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
In RT 1971, I was pleased and surprised that they really did conclude things.  That is, everything was fixed, things are good, now they can go on with satisfying lives, presumably without supernatual crap waiting for them 'round every corner.   We liked seeing all that, but a little wearing on the characters...  I'd have preferred something like Liz recognizing them in some other way, since they wouldn't have been in 1971 Collinwood after changing history.  Barnabas wouldn't have been there at all, of course.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Off topic a bit: Adamsgirl, that is why I would never buy DS on VHS because I knew DVD was next!   Glad I waited, althought it was hard.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
I remember looking in the T.V Guide and seeing something like end of series under Friday's listing and then when next week's came in the mail looking to see that Password was listed.  I remember tuning in Monday hoping it was wrong. My Mom loved Password from the start and we watched it with her.  I still cringe when I remember Lucy Ball trying to give clues.  Liz Montgomery and Carol Burnett were the best guests.   I loved PT 1841, but I had read Wurthering Heights and thought it was great so with Jon playing Heathcliff and Lara playing Cathy it was all good.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times

Offline buzz

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
I was a wee lad of 11 who had been watching the show since sometime in 1967, when my cousin Mary Ann told my older brother, John, who she knew loved horror stiff, about the show. We got hooked watching it quickly, and one of my earliest memories is of Barnabas walling Trask up.

Something funny I recall about that time period. My brother and I were also big comic book fans, so every week we would buy our latest Marvel Comics. One day DS was on TV and I guess I was more enthused over the latest issue of Spider-Man and wasn't paying much attention to the show. My brother scolded me, saying something to the effect of: "Watch the show! You can always read the comics! You'll never see the show again!" Little did we know!

I have a memory that I knew about the last show. It had been a part of my childhood every day so  certainly missed it and was thrilled when they began to rerun it, first on NBC and later on the New Jersey Network. 

Offline markyboo

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I remember bursting into tears when my parents told me they had read in the TV GUIDE that DS was being cancelled! They encouraged me to start a petition to save the show and then mail it to ABC. I went around the neighborhood and at school and got people to sign my petition - I even convinced my six year-old brother to add his John Hancock. I was very proud when I sent that petition in to ABC. I think a short while after DS ended I received this jovial form letter from ABC thanking me for watching DS but life is full of changes...

In recent times, it seems viewers are much more organized and aggressive in protesting the cancellation of a series. I like it when they besiege networks with some sort of symbol connected to the program being axed. JERICHO fans, for example, sent in peanuts while ROSWELL viewers mailed in bottles of hot sauce. Which leads me to the question: if DS was on today and being cancelled, what would DS fans send into ABC to protest its removal from the airwaves?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Coffee

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
What a marvelous idea for a thread.  I'd have to assume some mistakenly thought it was an April Fools joke due to the timing, eh? 

Taeylor, I could be wrong but I'd always heard that Jonathan would have been willing to continue as Barnabas - only not as a vampire.  IIRC he was tired of the "fanging business." 

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I...turned the TV on, hoping beyond hope, that a mistake had been made and it would be back.

I had a similar experience with the 1976 syndication.  I was too young to be allowed to watch during the original run.  Six months into the syndication there was a change in the TV Guide listings.  It said that "The Best of Groucho" would start the following Monday.  It was on too late for me to see it regularly, but my best friend watched any way, hoping that a miracle would happen.  IT DID.  The show stayed on another few months courtesy of complaints from viewers.   When that year ended, it was yanked, of course.  We called the station and were told it was not available to ANYONE.  A newspaper article confirmed that World Vision had taken it out of syndication.  This puzzled us because a NH station started running it soon after.  I later found out that they'd gotten the rights at literally the last minute.  It was too far away for us to catch it.  I doubted I'd ever see the show again

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Regarding the question about publicitiy related to the cancellation, I have a splash page from one of the teen mags that says "KISS US GOODBYE" and shows Barnabasl surrounded by the faces of various cast members.  I think that's an accurate description. I can't locate the page at the moment. 

How did you all feel about the movie that was in the works at the time?  Most shows leave the scene without a trace.  DS bowed out with a movie still to come.  Was there an expectation or hope that it would turn into a series of films like the Hammer lines?

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I was sad to see the show end for nostalgic reasons but by the time it left the air, DS wasn't in charge of my afternoon anymore (revolving everything around being able to see it).  Afterall, I was just getting into after school activities which allowed me to pursue interests I developed watching DS such as the theater and acting in particular.  I don't remember being that interested in the second movie or much caring whether or not that last burst of energy would bring back the show.   I was done, or so I thought.   [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Final Goodbye" Jonathan Frid's Most Revealing Interview
By Stephen Lewis
TV By Day
November, 1971

The familiar rooms of Collinwood had a strange new look to them. The furniture and props were pushed back against the walls, and a bar and a buffet had been set up.  Guests, the stars of Dark Shadows, the stars who had left the show and friends, wandered through the maze of cameras, laughing and talking about their experiences during the five year history of the show.

Upstairs, on the upper floor of the ABC-TV studio in New York, other members of the cast gave their dressing rooms a final going over, took a last look at the makeup and wardrobe rooms that had been part of their daily routine for so long, and went downstairs to say their good-byes.

Dark Shadows had taped its final episode and was going off the air.

Jonathan Frid, unlike the rest of the cast, couldn't join in the nostalgic mood of the party.  He was starring in a special stage
production of Murder In The Cathedral and had to hurry off to a rehearsal.

But just a few days before, as we sat in his spacious East Side apartment, Jonathan had had plenty of time to express his feelings on the death of the soap that had made him a star, feelings that many of his fans may not be aware of.

"Miss it?" Jonathan asked, reflecting on his three and a half years as a member of the cast.  "Of course I will.  The show, heaven knows, has been very good to me, and very good for me.  But I dont feel terribly saddened.  It's just time to go on to something else."

Most of the cast are going on to a second Dark Shadows movie.  Conveniently, the movie went into production just a few days after the serial went off the air.  Jonathan wont be seen in the screen version, though, and he explained why.

"They wanted me to play Barnabas," he revealed.  "As you know, the Barnabas character met his final end on the show some while back and I must say I was rather happy about it.  I didnt want to revive the role for the movie, and the fact is that I never, ever want to play Barnabas again!

"I really havent the least interest in the supernatural.  I studied the occult a bit when I began on the show.  I wanted to learn about the character I was playing.  But over the years, people have come to think that Im very involved with it personally. Theyve confused my identity with the character I play, and that isnt good.

"For so long, people have thought of me as Barnabas.  Ive been flattered, of course its a sign that people responded to my acting, to my performance. But there were things I had to do, tours for the show and things, that were pretty embarrassing.

"The straw that broke the camel's back, so to speak, about my doing Barnabas, was a letter inviting me to join an occult society --one of many.  It made me aware of the danger that people will associate me with Barnabas as long as I live almost like Johnny Weissmuller and Tarzan. For an actor who wants to do things, it's frightening.

"The whole occult thing bores me. I dont even read my horoscope in the daily paper.

"What I want to see now is just what the Barnabas image has done for me in the business, among producers and so forth.  Id like, very much, to do some stage work, and Id love doing my own TV series.

"As for movies, well, to be very honest, its a very different thing from television or the stage.  There is so much waiting around, so much boredom.  You have to stand there while they arrange lights and things, and it takes forever.

The Dark Shadows film was made rather quickly, and I didnt likeit. There were some moments that I felt were all right, and a few that I enjoyed.  But generally, the whole experience was pretty embarrassing.  Yes, people came to see it, but the reviews were horrifying.

"And for an actor, no matter what you are doing, you want to bring the best of your craft to your work. I wouldn't mind doing some other movies. I'd like to, just to see if I can work in that medium.

"Ive been offered roles, but I wont do Barnabas or anythingremotely related to him.  No vampires, no monsters, no necrophiliacs!  Im not trying to delude myself, I know that there are many people who will confuse Jonathan Frid with Barnabas.  Ive been, over the past year or so, very grateful to the magazines for writing about Jonathan Frid and not just Barnabas.  But making the public understand that the character isnt my whole identity will take work in something very strong.

"I need to find a good manager.  The fans I have are wonderful, but Ill need a good manager to get work.

Jonathan also discussed a question that many viewers have asked: why did Dark Shadows go off the air?

"You have to remember," Jonathan explained, "that the show had a very good run --five years, after all, is a long time.  What happened?  I guess its pretty much the same thing that happens when you are a child going to serials on Saturday afternoons.  You see Tarzan jumping off a huge cliff, and the first time youre thrilled. "The next week, you see the same thing, pretty much, happening, and you begin to realize that the cliff isnāt really that high. And then, as the weeks go by, you begin to outgrow the whole fantasy.

"In a soap opera, half of the success is identification -- viewers identifying the actors with the characters they play.  We tried to change stories, to drop one story and pick up another, and to change characters.  It may have educated the public that actors are not the people they play, but I think it hurt us.  Quite frankly, I think we knew the show was on its last legs long before the cancellation was announced -- maybe as far back as last November.  I was almost out of the show on the first of the year, but I wanted to try another character.

"We could have done something else, we could have revived Barnabas and then done that whole biting bit again, but I didnt want to. When Dan Curtis, the producer, and I discussed the movie, I told him I wouldnt play Barnabas in the second film.

"He said, 'Well, I guess you want to get out of the show, too.  I hadnt been bargaining for that, but I said to myself, 'Why not? maybe its time."  As it worked out, though, I stayed.

"Actually, I should have left a year or two ago, when the show was at its peak, to capitalize on the success of the series.  Of course after doing the same thing you wonder what will happen, but I'm not sure thats bad too much security isnt good for an actor. I dont really care if I donāt have the popularity I had on Dark Shadows, as long as I work and have a good income.  I dont want to play 'star'. On stage, its one thing -- its your work and its honest.  Offstage, its something else.  All stars are liars, liars because they are giving the public an image. Theyre still performing offstage, and the public believes they are like that.  Its not really true. When an actor goes off stage, he's though acting star never stops."

Just what will Jonathan do now?

"I'm really not sure -just look for work.  Ideally, I suppose I'd like a Broadway show for a while, then TV, some movies. Id do another soap if the right offer came along, but what I really want to do is grow as an actor.

Ive had a very big youth following, and Ive liked it. But I'mnot a child. I'm forty-seven. I hope that my audiences, my fans will grow with me when I do other things. Before I did the show, I never had any experience with that kind of mass popularity. I'm grateful for it. I'm grateful for the letters, for the fans, for all the magazines who've been kind to me.

"Ive had to learn to work fast, and I think in the long run that has helped my acting.  I hope that's the case, and I suppose the future will tell it.

"Right now, I'm very optimistic about the future.  I want to be able to take some time for myself, to relax.  That's something I couldn't do as long as the show was running.  Also, in the past few months, it's been kind of hard. I guess you could say that the mood in the studio, at times, was a bit depressing since everyone knew we were going off and that it was just a matter of time.  We knew it long before the final date was announced."

Thousands of Dark Shadows fans did their best to postpone that final date with letters to ABC, and they can take some condolence in the fact that while the series may be off, the series of movies based on it may continue forever.

Jonathan's personal following - the largest of any star in Dark Shadows history -- can expect to see him turning up in a number of movies and in guest spots on the major TV series.  Since his availability has become known, Jonathan has been offered numerous scripts and parts, and now it's a matter of just selecting whatās best for him.

"I don't want to make a mistake," he says,"about what I choose next.  It will be an important move in my career."

One thing that Jonathan Frid can be sure of, is no matter where his career takes him, his many fans will be happy to go along!