Author Topic: Joe/Nathan Forbes  (Read 4482 times)

Offline kuanyin

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Joe/Nathan Forbes
« on: June 21, 2002, 06:52:21 AM »
I should be old enough to know better. I would have sworn that I was over that "bad boy" thing that most of us women have when we are younger. I guess I'm not.

Joe does nothing for me. It is hard to think of Joe as anything but a Ken doll. Nathan Forbes,  well, that is another story. I love his smirk, his swagger, the look in his eyes..... :-*

I can't get over what a difference the role makes for me. Obviously, Joel Crothers was a very handsome man. But the player Nathan wins out in the appealing category everytime. Even when Joe is being a jerk, it isn't the same.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline A.I.Collins

• Full Poster
  • Look into those sexy eyes....
    • View Profile
Re: Joe/Nathan Forbes
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2002, 08:37:02 AM »
Hello There!...I must agree with you.Joel Crothers is much more sexy as Nathan Forbes.Not to mention he looked really "swell" in his navy uniform.Joe is an ok guy, but he is the type that would allow a woman to walk all over him,and i am not into that.I like a man who can present some kind of challenge!Nathan was sinister,but sexy. :o

Adra
Dark Shadows...my little ball of sunshine!!!

Offline The Ghost of Sarah Collins

• Senior Poster
  • Do You Know My Brother Barnabas...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2002, 08:48:45 AM »
Hello There!...I must agree with you.Joel Crothers is much more sexy as Nathan Forbes.Not to mention he looked really "swell" in his navy uniform.Joe is an ok guy, but he is the type that would allow a woman to walk all over him,and i am not into that.I like a man who can present some kind of challenge!Nathan was sinister,but sexy. :o

Adra

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I believe Joe Haskel is a very handsome mortal, I wish he were my boyfriend, but I doubt he would relocate
to the ether.  ::)
The Ghost of Sarah Collins (1784-1795)
Sister to Barnabas...@}{~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"That evil is wicked is well understood,
the wicked are punished so you must be good"
(Sarah to Barnabas)

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2002, 09:16:01 AM »
I believe Joe Haskell is a very handsome mortal, I wish he were my boyfriend, but I doubt he would relocate to the ether.

He's already there, Sarah... :'(
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2002, 12:24:34 PM »
I just LOVED Nathan, he was bad, sexy and wicked, the kind of boy Mama warned us against, but once he looks at you, watch out, you're a goner and all Mama's advice is forgotten!

I can understand why Millicent fell for him.  He was a charming rogue, but once he wanted to murder her brother, he switched over to a much more evil man--but he STILL looked amazing in that uniform!

Love, Robin

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2002, 12:26:48 PM »
I should be old enough to know better. I would have sworn that I was over that "bad boy" thing that most of us women have when we are younger. I guess I'm not.

Joe does nothing for me. It is hard to think of Joe as anything but a Ken doll. Nathan Forbes,  well, that is another story. I love his smirk, his swagger, the look in his eyes..... :-*

I can't get over what a difference the role makes for me. Obviously, Joel Crothers was a very handsome man. But the player Nathan wins out in the appealing category everytime. Even when Joe is being a jerk, it isn't the same.

I know what you mean Kuanyin.  Joel Crothers is definetely much more exiting as Nathan Forbes than he is at being Joe Haskell.  In yesterday's episode when Joe was holding Adam at gun point in the woods, I at first thought that he (Joe) reminded me of Lt. Forbes.  But when Adam overtook him, I quickly changed my mind as Lt.Forbes was way too cool to allow that sort of thing to happen to him. (well, almost anyway) ;)
"Calamity Jane"

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2002, 04:53:12 PM »
I just LOVED Nathan, he was bad, sexy and wicked, the kind of boy Mama warned us against, but once he looks at you, watch out, you're a goner and all Mama's advice is forgotten!

Oh, sure....I loved guys like that when I was a teenaged girl myself.

Now that I HAVE a teenaged girl, I want all such good-looking, dangerous, sexy, bad boys to vanish from the face of the earth!!!!

Perspective is everything!  [lghy]

Rainey  ;)

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2002, 06:00:05 PM »

Now that I HAVE a teenaged girl, I want all such good-looking, dangerous, sexy, bad boys to vanish from the face of the earth!!!!

Rainey  ;)

i hear you Rainey heehee!
i believe we're getting back to that trousers thread!He did seem so different as the two which shows what a great actor he was! too bad he was taken from us too soon!
jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2002, 06:18:37 PM »

Rainey  ;)

Yes, I hear you, too! Those bad boys sure have an appeal all their own.  Went thru that stage myself.

Joe/Nathan never appealed to me. Even in uniform! Bad boy Willie could have had me wrapped around his finger, tho, before he was bitten. After that, I just wanted to mother him and make his life better.

My daughter had a Marine for a boyfriend(Dress blues and all!)but he became too controlling so she gave him the heave-ho. Nice guy but...

carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2002, 06:58:59 PM »
Joel Crothers was one handsome guy.  I did like the charm of his Nathan.  As Joe he is one of the only really normal characters.  I have to say I could have gone for either of them.  I dated a couple of "bad boys" but also went for the down to earth good guys.  Luckily I picked the right one.

The Nathan is every parents nightmare when thinking of their daughters.  Joe is a parents dream of a future companion to their child. I think it says a lot for the man as an actor to be able to make two different characters so believable.  I also think it was smart of writers to  enable him to do that.  Two often they used the same actors to play similar characters.

It truly is sad that his time here was so short.

Birdie  
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2002, 07:42:57 PM »
I think it says a lot for the man as an actor to be able to make two different characters so believable.

I'm not sure that it was ALL Joel Crothers, but as I've watched DS again for the first time since the original run, it occurs to me that the only soaps I ever watched were the three in which Joel Crothers appeared.

When I was 10, I thought he was super cool...

Still do, I guess.  :D
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Craig_Slocum

• Muted
  • Senior Poster
  • Cute Craig
    • View Profile
    • Cheryl's Dark Shadows
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2002, 08:52:00 AM »

I like him better as Joe Haskell. He and Maggie make a good couple.
Cheryl,

Craig Slocum's #1 Fan

Offline Daphne

• Full Poster
  • C&B4E
    • View Profile
    • ..::Shadows.in.a.Mirror::..
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2002, 02:51:21 AM »

I like him better as Joe Haskell. He and Maggie make a good couple.

HE WAS CUTER WITH CAROLYN!!!![/size]

*has a temper tantrum*
"Dude, the difference between your moods is like night and day!" || "Surely someone must have given you something ... !?"
D&Q,L&D,C&B&T&J&B&A4E!&S2 ^_^

Offline Julianka7

• Senior Poster
  • Collinwood casts a long shadow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2002, 03:57:09 AM »
I like Joe much better. I understand the whole "bad boy"
attraction thing, but I'd rather have a good guy
(and I do have the best  ;D) any day of the week.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2002, 04:16:37 AM »
baaadddd booooyyyy,

yeah, but at least it was what you see/what you get.

Nowadays, a "good guy", him, I wouldn't trust (if he were as clean-cut as Joe Haskell....any cousin to Eddie?  ;) ).

Patti
What a Woman!