Author Topic: DS FEST 2002 WEBSITE!  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: DS FEST 2002 WEBSITE!
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2002, 01:48:23 AM »
I was implying about posting photos without permission, not discussion. But I digress, matter solved  ;)

I think you may have misunderstood my comments, Karen.  I was saying that the person's name was announced from the podium during the Fest and therefore I don't think that repeating it is a legal issue but rather one of discretion, but I wasn't at all talking about publishing the photo.  If you or I walked onto a public stage that was being photographed, in most circumstances there'd be an implied consent that our photo could be taken and used elsewhere.  However, no one would be able to convince me that the fan we're speaking about is capable of giving his consent, and since it's my understanding that the guardian was not present, I wouldn't presume to comment on any legal issues involving publishing his photo, and for both discretionary and cautionary reasons I'd prefer it not be posted here.  And while I'm not a lawyer, out of concern for fellow fans I'd encourage anyone who is thinking about posting it on their personal webspace to look into the matter and not proceed unless they're sure they wouldn't be negligent in doing so.  It's just a suggestion.

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
Re: DS FEST 2002 WEBSITE!
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2002, 08:40:15 AM »

I was saying that the person's name was announced from the podium during the Fest and therefore I don't think that repeating it is a legal issue but rather one of discretion,

Yes Midnite, you are right on about discretion being the issue vs. a legal matter. I didn't make myself clear enough, my concern was for Joe, or anyone else posting photos on a website of someone who might not be capable of giving direct consent.

But then again, "discretion" would've been a nice word to follow in certain instances over the weekend, eh? ;) lol.
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967