Author Topic: What are the chances of a new Dark Shadows?  (Read 8520 times)

Offline I Ching

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: What are the chances of a new Dark Shadows?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2006, 06:53:13 PM »
I'd venture a guess that by-and-large those of us who don't like the re-makes are the ones who watched and remember Dark Shadows's original run.  Those who are more favorable to a re-make are more likely younger.  Anyone want to do a scientific survey?
Hexagram # 51 - Chen (symbolizes the decisive moment when change is recognized)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2006, 10:02:09 PM »
I'd venture a guess that by-and-large those of us who don't like the re-makes are the ones who watched and remember Dark Shadows's original run.  Those who are more favorable to a re-make are more likely younger.  Anyone want to do a scientific survey?

I watched and remember the original run. Actually, to say I was obssessed with DS during it would probably be an understatement.  ;D  However, I really enjoyed the '91 series. In fact, I've often said that in many ways it improved on the original. And I also really liked the WB pilot. And quite truthfully I would be thrilled by the possibility of another version of DS coming along.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2006, 04:03:10 AM »
That would be an interesting study.  For my part, I'm probably one of the most intensely anti-remake fans around, and I didn't see the show until a few years ago on Sci-Fi.

ProfStokes

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2006, 04:34:52 PM »
The worst thing about re-makes is the implied criticism.  "The original was good, we're going to do it better."  Obviously, no one would attempt a re-make that was simply "as good"....what would be the point?

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2006, 06:30:19 PM »
I'd venture a guess that by-and-large those of us who don't like the re-makes are the ones who watched and remember Dark Shadows's original run. Those who are more favorable to a re-make are more likely younger. Anyone want to do a scientific survey?

Actually, I first watched Dark Shadows when it aired on the Sci-fi channel, and I'm not too thrilled about a remake.  :)
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2006, 02:21:03 AM »
Hi Sunny!  She's on both DS boards I'm on.

I'd define a remake as what they did in 1991; retelling the same story.    A third time for that?  I thought it was a self-indulgence and waste of a massive opportunity to do that in 1991.

A sequel series would be incredible, done right.    The events of the original DS could be the fascinating backstory that many great shows have.   It could be written so that you didn't need to know all about 1960s Collinwood to understand the present day stories, but if you do, there's a whole extra level to it.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2006, 03:11:49 AM »
A sequel series would be incredible, done right.   

I agree.  They could pick up the story w/an adult David dealing w/some of the issues his father had to deal with (rebellious son who explores the closed off west wing etc...) and show us some of his antics in flashbacks to give any new viewers the back story.  They should do this ala Lost, their flashbacks are the best part of their show IMHO.   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

Offline Sunny_Collins

• Senior Poster
  • True devotion! I love, love, love dear Barnabas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2006, 05:58:33 PM »
Hi Sunny! She's on both DS boards I'm on.

I'd define a remake as what they did in 1991; retelling the same story. A third time for that? I thought it was a self-indulgence and waste of a massive opportunity to do that in 1991.

A sequel series would be incredible, done right. The events of the original DS could be the fascinating backstory that many great shows have. It could be written so that you didn't need to know all about 1960s Collinwood to understand the present day stories, but if you do, there's a whole extra level to it.

Hi, Magnus!!  :) 8)

I think a sequel thought out well and done right would be great. They have already attempted two remakes now of the same story, but IMHO nothing can top the original.

Now if they did a sequel, they could incorporate some of the past history in to the new show, but keep it fresh and interesting with familiar characters such as David and Amy when they're grown or something.

It could be called Dark Shadows the Next Generation.  :D ;D
Barnabas to little Sarah's ghost: "I forbid you to leave! I beg you to stay!"

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2006, 07:25:48 PM »

I can't figure out how to quote an old thread in a new thread, but hopefully this'll work - Here's the link    :D

edit: Ah hell, I can't get it done, maybe one of our ever-vigilant mods can. Anyway, search for a thread titled "The Original, the Revival, and You" and you'll find the survey.
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2006, 07:41:22 PM »
retzev,

Just quote a post from the older topic, and then copy/paste it into the new post in the newer topic:

I'm slowly working my way through the '91 series, and I'm trying to judge it on it's own merits, but it's hard for me to keep from comparing it to the original...etc. etc.

So anyway, I got the idea for this poll -

(Then people can click on the "Quote from: (poster) on (date/time)" link to reach the older topic.  :))

Normally we just quote a small portion of the original post or replace the post's text with the title of the topic.  ;)

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 16, 2006, 07:47:58 PM »
Gracias  :)
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #41 on: September 26, 2006, 03:49:16 AM »
I think that a new DS would be absolutely great. As I've said in another thread, I really liked the 2004 pilot, except for the ending.

I love the idea of the Depp/Burton motion picture! That would definitely be something all DS fans could probably get behind in one way or the other!

Remaking the same story is something that just gets old after a time. I have never seen the 1991 series, and don't really care to, because I can just watch the original. While the 04 pilot was introducing the same old story, it was doing this in a completely new way. Angelique was there from the beginning, along with the other core characters. This was interesting to me. The only problem with this would be that the writers would have to tread lightly in order to circumvent the problem of retelling the same story, in the same way. Maybe if they found some writers who hadn't seen the original, but then again, this may also mean that they can't capture "DS".

I think that trying to recapture the original charm of the original series is something that is just not possible. The original series' charm was in the fall-down tombstones, the actors hiding in a dark corner, the stagehands walking into the frame, and the cheesy effects and writing. All these things would be simply UNACCEPTABLE on a television show today. So, anyone who would attempt to capture the original DS for an updated version and still have the charm, would fail miserably.

I really like the "Next Generation" idea. As others can tell you, I've been saying this for years now. There would be some difficult problems to overcome. For instance--what do you do with Barnabas? Make him a vampire and try to explain away his not-aging? But then you'd be left with trying to do it in a way that the Collins family would believe without making the audience think they are total idiots (we don't want another "I don't understand" fiasco!) Or do you make Barnabas old and gray? But then how would you explain this to the old fans and still make it interesting and easy to follow for the new audience--meaning that they don't have to see the old series in order to know what's being explained? Or do you just leave Barnabas out completely and risk alienating an audience of original fans?

All these questions and more may be why they haven't tried this, even though many fans are barking for them too. Then again, maybe it was just DC's obsession with retelling the same story over and over (sighs) and over and over and over (sighs again).....
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline BuzzH

• DSF God
  • The grooviest HEP cat in Collinsport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2006, 03:39:28 PM »
What do you do with Barnabas? Make him a vampire and try to explain away his not-aging? But then you'd be left with trying to do it in a way that the Collins family would believe without making the audience think they are total idiots.

You could say that Barnabas left Collinsport in the late 70's/mid 80's (as a vampire) then have him come back and claim to be his own son.   ;D
Buzz-isms:

"I like the bike I got, & the chick I got!"
"I know just the place!?Over in Logansport!"
"If ya feel it, SIT it!"
"Come on, before he offers me a side car too!"
"Her nose needed some powder!"
"You askin' me to give up something I like?"

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2006, 01:31:38 AM »
Well they did try to revive it once and it turned out to be a disaster.

I suppose a new Dark Shadows COULD work if they got the right cast of actors. Except for Jean Simmons and Joanna Going, the actors in 1991 were barely (or in a few cases hardly) adequate.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2006, 02:30:40 AM »
I suppose a new Dark Shadows COULD work if they got the right cast of actors.

I think all the actors in the 04 Pilot were very well cast, and portrayed the characters true-to-form of the script. Some even were able to capture some of the nuances that the original actors brought to the roles. I thought (geez! can't think of his name) that played Barnabas in the 04 pilot was very good. The only reservation I had about him was that when he said "Josette, Josette, you've come back to me.....Josette...." etc etc, he made is sound kind of cheesy. I'm not sure if anyone else who has seen the pilot got this impression, but I did.

Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran