Author Topic: OT - I can't afford to go to the DS Fest again this year!  (Read 1568 times)

Offline EmeraldRose

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
OT - I can't afford to go to the DS Fest again this year!
« on: July 03, 2010, 07:55:59 PM »
Just thought I'd let you all know that, unfortunately, for the second year in a row, I can't afford to go to the Dark Shadows Festival that will be held in two weeks. I hate to miss it, but it's unavoidable. [ghost_sad] I will miss everyone, and I hope everyone who goes has a great time! Maybe next year!  [ghost_cheesy]

----- Sally -----
----- Sally -----
[snow_bigglass] [hippy2]

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: I can't afford to go to the DS Fest again this year!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 08:33:56 PM »
Hi Sally i wish i could go but  since i'm umemployed at the moment makes it hard to do anything.
            Hope everyone has a great time too.
                              Love  Anne [ghost_wink]
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: OT - I can't afford to go to the DS Fest again this year!
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 09:33:08 PM »
I hear ya ladies! I will be going this year but I missed the previous 2 years due to finances and this one is by the skin of my teeth. My washer and dryer both had to be replaced in June and that set me back a bit.

Teresa
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 01:11:11 AM »
I live in Texas, so I can't afford to go very often. When I lived in Newport, I went every year, including the Manhattan Shadows Cons. When I first moved to Texas, I continued to go until '91. Once I got married though, I looked at what I was spending just on myself. We could drive to New Orleans or some place like that and have a whole vacation for the family. I did go in 2006 and 2008. I MIGHT be going next year if I can accumulate enough Amazon Credit card points to earn a plane ticket. It would be nice to go to the 45th anniversary. 

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 01:37:14 PM »
I'm not going either.  Four years ago - at least, I think it was four - when I wasn't going, I suggested that we non-Fest-goers all watch some pre-determined part of Dark Shadows together and talk about it during Fest-time.  There seemed to be interest in the idea, but that's as far as it went, and the fact that it didn't happen was what eventually pushed me to initiate the Watching Project, which MB turned into such a wonderful thing.

I'd like to post a not-long-after-midsummer night's dream about a Fantasy Fest involving all the fans who won't be at this year's Fest, and all the Dark Shadows actors, living and dead (but especially the dead), who won't be there as well.  Taeylor could throw himself at the feet of Grayson Hall and declare himself her Number One Fan, and the primary and secondary afghans could perform a duet together, and The Pen could be sold for a phenomenal sum at the charity auction, and EmeraldRose, in a very moving ceremony, could distribute milestones to all the Dark Shadows actors attending the banquet.  But Midnite would probably stamp "INCORRIGIBLE" on my virtual forehead and, patience finally exhausted, ban me from the boards.  And I wouldn't want to put her to the trouble, so I'll do nothing - except maybe ask, "What's the one thing you'd have or do at a Fantasy Fest?"

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 04:54:28 AM »
*cough* Cousin Taeylor might have some competition for the supreme honor of Grayson's Number One Fan *cough*

For Her fans are Legion, and We are Many!  *cue creepy music*

heh heh,

Steve

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 08:27:05 AM »
I love Grayson but we are legion that is for sure GOTHICK! I am in a great group of GH fans. [ghost_grin]

I didn't know you helped get the WP going Lydia! Good on you!  [ghost_wink] I won't be going this year but I do have a  DS trip planned for the fall.  I am gonna go to NYC and do all the DS related things I can.  I plan on attending the fest next year though if all goes as planned. The 45Th anniversary as my first fest sounds really really cool!

At at fantasy fest Grayson Hall would be there and she would be the main attraction the whole weekend??? And of course STOMP on Roger Davis foot again!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 02:18:10 PM »
I'm tentatively planning to go to next year's fest as well. I'm working on earning a free round trip ticket on my Amazon card. The only possible rub, aside from financial disasters would be our annual trip to Newport, RI. I have such trouble scheduling a time share there. This year, we are there the same week as the Festival (check in the 16th, check out the 23rd).  My parents are not in the best health so I hate to miss a year. We drive from TX to RI, so that takes the better part of a month with side trips and travel. The 2008 Fest was a lot of fun; the 45th anniversary seems a fitting time to go again.

Offline 4everfridean

• Junior Poster
  • Belonging heart, soul and neck to the vampire!
    • View Profile
    • The Collins Mausoleum fanzine online
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 04:06:12 AM »
Yep, that's our situation, too.  We had planned to go this year, but a significant chunk of money had to be used for something else.  I hope next year for the 45th Anniversary as well -- the 40th in 2006 was my first Fest.  I'll have to go solo the years it's in August, since my son, who plays football and is in band, has camps going for both during the time the Fest is normally held.  Those who are going next week, have a great time, and post reports EVERYWHERE!

Julie  :-)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 03:03:36 PM »
i'm sorry to be missing this year's fest as well. i never go when it's on the west coast it's just too expensive.

i look forward to an east coast fest next year. hopefully it's in brooklyn again or someplace more convenient than some of the far flung locations of recent years.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 06:06:44 PM »
I wish I could go, if just to get away from the plague of bloodsuckers here.  And I ain't talking vampires!  It's another bad mosquito year - I'm covered with itchy bumps.

Gerard

Offline Teresa

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2010, 02:11:35 AM »
Me too Gerard! I have so many red itchy bumps on my legs people look at me and back away!
" Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny"