Author Topic: DS Mothers  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: DS Mothers
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2010, 11:21:06 PM »
Yep the Parallel Time Barnabas was born in 1770 as it shows is grave marker so yes he was supposed to be 25!  MS....I wasn't thinking about Naomi. Yeah that is baffling as well! Joan was 57 in 1967 so lets say Naomi was 57 as well.  It is possible for women to have children at 47 as we have seen with John Travolta's wife. So perhaps Sarah was change of life baby.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 03:04:17 AM »
It is possible for women to have children at 47 as we have seen with John Travolta's wife. So perhaps Sarah was change of life baby.

13 October 1962, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA , Kellly Preston was born, she married
John Travolta (12 September 1991 -Her first child with John Travolta, son Jett Travolta, was born 13 April 1992.  Kelly would have been only 30
John  is eight years her senior. 

I hope you don't mind.

But there are children born later in life.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2010, 03:46:53 AM »
Yep the Parallel Time Barnabas was born in 1770 as it shows is grave marker so yes he was supposed to be 25!

simply astounding!

barnabas collins was supposed to be 25 old??? younger than willie loomis. younger than burke devlin. younger than angelique.

just a scad older than vicki,carolyn and maggie.

i always see barnabas as peer to roger,julia and professor stokes. not whippersnappers like joe haskel and jeff clark.

this is too much to be believed. [ghost_wacko]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2010, 04:18:02 AM »
i always see barnabas as peer to roger,julia and professor stokes. not whippersnappers like joe haskel and jeff clark.
I agree with you as regards the 1960s, but I'll always been impressed with how Jonathan Frid gave the pre-vampire Barnabas of 1795 a very youthful demeanor, even though physically he didn't look that young.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2010, 04:32:08 AM »
true lydia but remember vampires don't age so whatever age he was when angelique placed the curse on him was the age he stayed forever.

so while the writers might have wanted a "young" barnabas for the 1795 storyline they sort of tossed both continuity(he was not a young man when willie let him out of the coffin in 67)and authenticity(if such a word can accurately be used to describe a fictitious creature)out the window.

like i said this subject will drive one bananas.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2010, 05:18:29 AM »
13 October 1962, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA , Kellly Preston was born, she married John Travolta (12 September 1991 -Her first child with John Travolta, son Jett Travolta, was born 13 April 1992.  Kelly would have been only 30 John  is eight years her senior. 
Taeylor was probably referencing the couple's announcement within the past week or so that they are expecting another child.  [ghost_wink]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2010, 05:19:23 AM »
the writers might have wanted a "young" barnabas for the 1795 storyline

Even before the year Barnabas was born was revealed, I remember reading articles in which Frid commented about how much fun he thought it was playing Barnabas as a youth in 1795. At first I found the comments very odd - but then I thought back to the way Joshua treated Barnabas in Ep #368_369 (browbeating Barnabas over his worry for Josette because her arrival was two weeks overdue, belittling the concept of love, and declaring that a woman isn't a future) and the way Barnabas reacted to Joshua. It certainly wasn't the way a 40-something-year-old would react to his father - not even an overbearing father such as Joshua. And the fact that Jeremiah and Barnabas were supposedly the same age definitely made Jeremiah and Joshua's relationship make more sense. And with realizations such as that, I really began to question not only how old Barnabas was actually supposed to be when he was cursed but, indeed, how old, say, Julia was actually supposed to be because quite obviously the age of the actors seemed to have little to no bearing on how old their characters were supposed to be...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2010, 06:02:22 AM »
Barnabas played youthful Barnabas so well that I never saw him as middle-aged in 1795, though he seems at least 30.   Vampires never appear to age during the vampire's life, after the change, but maybe dying and becoming undead takes its toll.   And really, 1795 is made up of continuity errors.   This one helps the series so I'm not complaining.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2010, 05:11:24 PM »
Sorry for the mistake earlier,  I guess I don't keep track of Hollywood stuff.  I with them both well.

As to Barnabas being so young, it does make thing easier to grasp, also his looking to the young girls of the show.

But I think with all the suffering he experienced, that might appear to age him.  But DS didn't really pay attention to
ages. Especially when they went into the past and they had to make the characters have to fit into a story line. 

I wonder if a youthfull Barnabas would have made the story different?                                     
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 06:24:32 PM »
I'm in the 1897 story now: 

Granmama was in her 90's when she died.  (this would make her in 40's when crawford played her.  in the 1840 storyline the children were hardly ever shown -- Edith and Gabriel has some kids who were always mentioned being in the background, if i remember correctly -- who would they be?)

Judith was the older sister of all of them, no?  her old maid status was what kept her from running the show.  Who were their parents.

Barnabas mentioned (and i don't recall the episode  [ghost_blink]) about laura coming to Collinwood when he was merely 10 years old, and he states a year.  it's the episode when he finds her portrait.

yes, this is driving me bananas now!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 11:03:31 PM »
In Ep #739 Barn mentions first seeing Laura when he was a child of 10, but I don't believe he mentions a year. He also describes Laura as being a "beautiful woman," which is very interesting considering that when Barn was 10 Jeremiah was supposedly also 10. Apparently either Jeremiah married an older woman, or the writers were playing fast and loose with Jeremiah's age again, once again making him older than Barn, but apparently not as old as the very old man Jeremiah supposedly was during the original backstory of Jeremiah and Josette pre-1795...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2010, 03:29:25 AM »
Sorry I didn't make it clear about Kelly Preston.   I am on websites pretty much daily that has to do with celebrities. I love movie, TV, music news so I tend to keep up with all that.  However, I happend to hear that in passing on Inside Edition.   
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/