Author Topic: angelique,overated?  (Read 3063 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
angelique,overated?
« on: May 02, 2004, 03:46:13 AM »
i know i'm going to get into trouble for this,but of all the characters on d.s.,angelique is the one i haven't ever taken to.does anyone else feel she was overused/overcredited on the show.the new d.s. plans to introduce her in the pilot ep.,which is strange because in o.s. she wasn't introduced until over a year into the run.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:angelique,overated?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2004, 04:05:01 AM »
ithe new d.s. plans to introduce her in the pilot ep.,which is strange because in o.s. she wasn't introduced until over a year into the run.

More proof that the new series will be a departure from the original one in many ways.

Seriously, why on earth would they wait a year to introduce Angelique in the new series?  They certainly aren't going to keep Barnabas waiting in the wings for the period it took to get to HIS arrival, are they?  ;)

And no, I wouldn't say the part of Angelique was over used or over credited.  I do think the part could have been better written than it was.......
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2004, 04:22:12 AM »
why wait?subtlety and suspense perhaps.why put all your eggs in one basket?what made o.s. so engaging was the gradually unfolding storylines.to have victoria's arrival at collinwood and a character who appeared over a year later in a flashback be introduced in a 1 hour pilot seems confusing.

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2004, 04:41:10 AM »
The original series started with Victoria and the suspense at Collinwood.  Things gradually evolved and to spice things up Barnabas was invented and then, eventually, a trip to 1795 and Angelique.  But, now that we're "aware" of them, it does seem to make sense to incorporate them in a new DS from the beginning.  When one thinks of DS, that's a major part of what one thinks of.  I don't think we could wait a long time for them to be added, unless they were doing an entirely different story.  And, from the casting we've learned of, it seems the basic underlying story will be the same.
Josette

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2004, 02:21:11 PM »
I'm rewatching the Adam & Eve storyline now.  I am even more impressed with Lara Parker than I was originally.  During this storyline, Nicholas, Barnabas, Joe & even Prof. Stokes revolve around her character and make the story more interesting IMO.  I really have come to appreciate her character and rank her as one of my top character's in the whole show. I'm really becoming impressed with the character Eve (except the Jeff Clark part) or should I say Marie Wallace. Her relationship with Nicholas and Adam glues me to the set. I think I had some preconceived notions about Eve's character the first time I saw her but I've seen the light so to speak.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

LorraineAAB

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2004, 06:03:59 PM »
why wait?subtlety and suspense perhaps.why put all your eggs in one basket?what made o.s. so engaging was the gradually unfolding storylines.to have victoria's arrival at collinwood and a character who appeared over a year later in a flashback be introduced in a 1 hour pilot seems confusing.

This will be a prime-time series, and not a regular daytime soap like the first DS.  The time to establish characterization and back stories are limited (and expensive.)

There is also a perception (very likely, quite accurate) that  the modern audience (that is, most people under 30)  is not noted for having a long attention span vis-a-vis getting hooked on any fictional series anymore.  Once you HAVE them, that is another matter, then the program can drag on for a few seasons expanding and expounding on any plotline, but they have to get the viewers' juices overflowing FIRST.

Hence, a lengthy intro of Vicki's story, and gradually getting to know the C'wood family BEFORE springing  the "main attraction" apparently MUST be done this way, and in less time, even, than the 1991 introductory.  (Which, it can also be argued, many of the potential viewers of the newest DS probably watched, and remember fairly well, even if they didn't see the older series, nor ever owned the tapes / DVD of the 1991 version.)

Still, if the script is well-written, my hope is that it won't SEEM so abrupt.

l.

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2004, 08:08:49 PM »
No, after Barnabas I think Angelique was the most interesting character to come out of DS. It doesn't really matter she came a bit late in the series.

What is so very interesting about Angelique, and I've only come to this conclusion after reading many of the DS boards because I certainly never felt that way, is how much sympathy she attracted. I've actually read posts which have denied her evil deeds altogether, or seem to have forgotten them anyway and quite logically defend their perceptions adroitly skirting and avoiding the ugliness that was Angelique. If that doesn't prove Angelique was a very successful piece of writing and acting, I don't know what does.

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 02:51:58 PM »
Denying the ugliness of Angelique is delusion thinking IMO.. but i do agree Parker was great in the role. .so great i think she had  hard time breaking from it. . .and while has done several guest appearances, hasn't gone to greater things. . I do believe it was her who said to one of her fellow co-stars on DS .."who knew our first job would be our best?"  or something like that.   It's so interesting she didn't wanna play the baddie/heavy part cuz she was soooooo good.  Instead we got the insipient Catherine and LP wasn't so good at portraying her torn heart. . Catherine came across as selfish and spoiled instead not tortured and 'deserted' by Bramwell. . .
Julia99

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 04:07:58 PM »
As my choice of avatar might imply, I'm of the opinion that Angelique was underused!  I would have liked to have seen more of her in 1897, for example.

Sure, Angelique was a rotten broad.  She really doesn't garner much of my sympathy until the Leviathan storyline.  But even from her introduction on the series, she was so much fun to watch!  Despite the fact that she does horrible things in the name of love, Lara Parker's performance, IMHO, made the whole thing riveting to watch.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2004, 03:32:42 AM »
there are times i love her and times i hate her but Parker was good at the role!
Was She overrarted Nah IMHO!

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2004, 07:00:19 PM »
Agree with CassandraBlair; but, it may've gotten too 'busy' with Laura/Angelique AND PETOFI

Looooove PT Angelexis.

Patti
What a Woman!

IluvBarnabas

Re: angelique,overated?
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2006, 04:47:52 AM »
Angelique was by no means overrated IMO. There's no denying she could really be an evil, manipulative bitch but she sure was fun to watch!  ;)

Lara Parker was simply brilliant and I just loved to hate her as Angelique.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2006, 05:58:45 AM »
I do and don't think Angelique was overused/overrated.

I DO think that she was involved where she didn't need to be sometimes. The dream curse could've not happened, IMO. Angelique/Cassandra didn't really NEED to be there, except to fill in a storyline. She could've been used for something else, or not at all.

But, DS wouldn't have worked without Angelique. Ang is like that blackmailing Aunt that pops up every so often for cash--you can't just send her away because she knows so many secrets about you, and therefore is dangerous. She was used in good ways. One of my FAVORITE things that Ang. was used for was in 1970 when we find out she's married to Sky Rumson, and is trying to live a normal life.

That is my favorite Angelique storyline because it humanizes her character a lot, and the writers actually seem to be attempting to get some character development in there for once, instead of just putting them in the same situation that is retold differently. Her shock at finding out that she really ISN'T leading a normal life is one of the best Angelique moments of the entire show, and the vulnerability it creates within her is just priceless. It really knocks her down a peg and adds even more fuel to her fire for when she wants to be evil again.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2006, 06:04:16 AM »
flashback!!!

this was one of my first posts at the forum.at the time i think i was watching the 1795 storyline and i just wasn't "feeling" angelique(at that time a "new" character to me).

but needless to say ang did grow on me in a big way and she went on to become one of my favorite characters.

time is a funny thing. ;)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2006, 03:31:47 PM »
time is a funny thing.

It sure is.  One of the things I like about Dark Shadows is how in different decades in my life, different characters appeal to me.  I adored Rachel Drummond in the 60s, couldn't stand her in the 80's, and respect her now as someone totally out of her depth but trying anyway.  I never had much use for Grandmamma before, but this time around, I just loved her.  Sometime in the 2040's, when I'm bedridden in the nursing home watching Dark Shadows, I'll be saying to my roommate, "That Ezra Braithwaite - is he HOT or what???"