Author Topic: TV Vampire Stakedown  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: TV Vampire Stakedown
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2009, 12:47:26 AM »
Actually, I just noticed that right now it takes 6 votes to advance by 0.01% in the poll, so that means that the total votes must be somewhere close to 60,000. Using that figure, the current results of the poll come out much closer to:

1) Spike   29.6%  17760
2) Eric    22.9%  13740
3) Angel   15.32%  9192
4) Bill    12.31%  7386
5) Mick     7.87%  4722
6) Barnabas 6.99%  4194

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2009, 12:59:42 AM »
The thing that I find fascinating about the results of the poll, more so than which vamps actually ranked where, is how so thoughly Buffy/Angel dominated the results. If one tallies all the percentages from B/A, the results are:

58.73% Buffy/Angel

That didn't leave very much for the various other shows:

30.64% True Blood
  3.49% The Vampire Diaries
  3.19% Moonlight
  3.05% DS

And if one adds all those percentages up together, they come out to 99.1% of the entire poll. Though even as late as last night, all those shows had higher total percentages - but apparently Spike made a late surge overnight to put Buffy/Angel even further ahead and to knock them down.

On a side note I think Angel would have done better but it seems the actor who played him just recently announced that he is against doing a reunion show/movie so many of his fans are not happy with him at this time. Just a theory of course.

Buffy/Angel fans are used to him making such statements. Actually, at times he even refuses to discuss Angel at all. But I don't think that really affected his votes because in the last two days Angel had gotten as high as 25% in the poll - and coming in second with 23.48% is still quite an impressive showing, particularly surging past True Blood's Eric, who fell substantially. But again, that was the power of the Buffy/Angel voters...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: TV Vampire Stakedown / ***Review: Paley Center Vampire Weekend
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2009, 06:26:57 PM »
I attended yesterday's Vampire Weekend event at the Paley Center for Media. I only attended the panel segment moderated by Ken Tucker of our friends at EW and was unable to stay for the trivia segment. Here is just a snapshot of the event and hopefully they will show the video of the event soon. The panel consisted of Chelsea Doyle, Freelance writer, Starplus.com; our Jim Pierson; Andi Teran, Contributing Writer, Vanity Fair.com (Twilight Saga); Sammy Buck, Blogger, tvland.com; Angel Cohn, Senior Editor, Television Without Pity (True Blood); Alan Kistler, Comic Book Historian/Writer (Vampire Diaries, Forever Knight.

Negatives: the panel started late. It was suppose to begin at 2:30pm and started something like 2:48pm and it was not because of the typical late arriving New Yorkers (jk). This sold out auditorium was there eagerly awaiting the panel to arrive;
because it started late the moderator did not allow any questions from the audience!!! That was promised in the beginning of the panel introduction; when the trivia segment started the panel just disappeared and only Sammy Buck stayed.
Perhaps this is why the Paley employees encouraged us to complete the event review survey prior to the show starting which was kind of unprofessional;

during the panel discussion often the guests would continue conversations between the two debating a topic while another guest was trying to speak;

No photography anywhere was permitted-I wanted to take pics of Marie etc...the DS at Twilight huge banner inside the lobby;the employees were  watching everyone like hawks;

the guests disappeared after they left the stage so there was no opportunity to speak to them outside of the room;

Positives:
Marie Wallace made a surprise appearance! She was introduced to the crowd near the end of the segment and the crowd gave her a nice ovation. She stood up from the 1st row and waived to the crowd.

There was a nice applause from the crowd when JP announced that there was going to be a new Dark Shadows movie that was being filmed next year with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp and will be released sometime in 2011 (I was kind of surprised that many of the fans in attendance did not know about the movie);

When it was Jim Pierson's turn to speak they shows brief DS clips 1st starting with Marie Wallace being bitten by Barnabas( unfortunately many of the crowd started laughing and that was when Jim yelled out [people this was filmed live on tape])
a clip of Barnabas and Josette holding the music box, a clip from the destruction of Collinwood sequence and Barnabas at the Old House looking out the window longing for his Josette;

The highlight of the panel was Jim Pierson. He brought his A game to the panel and he was by far the best speaker. Jim was not bothered by the 1000 things on his mind when he is at a Fest and was not distracted at all. JP defended Dark Shadows with great passion and his intellect reminding the panel that Barnabas and DS lead the path for the current crop of Vampires. JP spoke the most out of the group.

Some topics that I could remember as things went by real fast was the absence of coffins in the modern vampire shows and how disappointing that was; the majority of the topics were how each of the shows differed from each other; the role of a normal woman falling in love with a vampire-if you check out paleycenter at twitter they posted some of the discussions I can't remember at the moment;

the 1st 100 people in the audience received a gift bag consisting of:

2010 Dark Shadows Calendar
one set of white vampire fangs
11-10-09 issue of EW featuring Team Twilight on front cover
HBO promo Tru Blood Positive Blood Orange Bottle 14 fl. oz on bottle "Enliven yourself with this uniquely carbonated, slightly tart, lightly sweet blood orange drink"
The Complete First Season on DVD TrueBlood

I also liked how the auditorium was set up by the geography of the shows ie... I sat in the "Collinsport" section-I wanted to take that flag jk

Twilight fans were heavily represented but everyone was very respective of each other shows and finally it seemd from speaking to others in the audience that fans of the new shows are now learning that there is a Dark Shadows that preceded their shows.

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2009, 10:10:03 PM »
Awesome review, jimbo!  Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

ProfStokes

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 01:03:39 AM »
Why thank you ProfStokes. I forgot to mention another big negative. The panel never discussed the Poll! Can you imagine-outside of Chelsea mentioning how proud she was that [her people] won there was no other reference or at least a discussion on it. How disappointing. I wanted to know what the panel thought of the poll. Ken Tucker kept on looking at his watch every 5 minutes liked he had to catch a plane or something. Not having the audience participate was totally unacceptable.

Offline fridfreak

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2009, 04:35:41 AM »
Thank you for that summary Jimbo.  I went to the Paley Center website a few days ago where I read about the Vampire weekend. And of course I went on Jonathan's website and he mentioned that he got a call from JP and Marie Wallace fron New York so I figured they were letting him know about the weekend.  Sounds a bit rushed and rude though..the panel discussion that is.     
Long live the vampire and his love (Barnabas and Maggie)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2009, 06:11:44 AM »
Fridfreak I appreciate that-thank you. That would have been so great if Mr. Frid made a surprise appearance at Paley and showed the other vampire shows' representatives who is the greatest vampire of them all.
The interruptions only happened a couple of times but it was certainly annoying especially when JP was trying to make a point and you could see he was a bit distracted and was forced to talk over them.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2009, 05:57:34 PM »
Photo of Marie Wallace taken at the event.

http://img5.yfrog.com/i/paley111409079.jpg/

and fans participating in the trivia contest. I guess Paley will be posting more on their twitter page.

http://img42.yfrog.com/i/paley111409104.jpg/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2009, 06:04:22 PM »
Photo of Jim Pierson and guests participating on stage at the event.

http://img691.yfrog.com/i/paley111409017.jpg/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2009, 01:43:47 AM »
Photo of the Dark Shadows/Twilight banner.

http://img338.yfrog.com/i/paley111409183.jpg/

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2009, 06:10:49 AM »
Love those pics. Love the banner.  And I love Miss Marie! She is an ageless beauty!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2009, 07:00:00 AM »
Thanks for the report, jimbo!  Glad you got to go!  How cool!