Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0264  (Read 1458 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0264
« on: July 27, 2012, 05:27:32 PM »
Robservations - #264

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0264

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 06:16:14 PM »
Maybe it's the lighting, but it looks like Dennis Patrick has a pencil mustache.

I don't get why Barnabas and Willie are so surprised about Maggie's death. Barnabas was going to kill her anyway.

I love how Willie pushes it with Barn. "I'll try not to think who your next victim will be."

Love the location shots of LE walking up to the Old House. Very cool.

I wouldn't exactly say that Willie is good with kids, but he does show compassion to Sarah being lost.

Why doesn't Barnabas put the bite on Jason? Why?? He just stands there and takes Jason's crap.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 06:31:29 PM »
Willie asks Barnabas, What will _we_ do now? Whether Barnabas likes it or not, he has acquired a conscience as well as a servant. I also love Willie's parting shot as he leaves the house.

I think Barn is beginning to get an idea of who the little girl might be--after all, how many children are associated with the Old House? And why did this one start appearing here and there at this moment? I think he's trying to find out if Willie has seen her when he mentions (untruthfully) that he thought he saw a child outside.

Willie probably doesn't have much experience with kids, but he is very nice to Sarah.

Roger takes his troubles to Barnabas, but Barnabas doesn't seem inclined to help him--until he realizes that if Jason gets hold of Collinwood, his own position at the Old House might not be secure. At this point, he doesn't really care much about his "cousins" as long as they stay out of his way--he's been too wrapped up in his "new Josette" project.

Wonderful little duel between Barnabas and Jason! I think Barn doesn't bite Jason because if Jason started behaving oddly, too many people up at Collinwood would notice. But it's funny to imagine Jason and Willie both as Barn's servants and competing to see which one of them Barn likes best.

Willie gets an unknowing revenge at the very end of the ep. Nice bit by JF when profound sorrow crosses the vampire's face as his suspicions coalesce into inescapable fact.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 07:37:30 PM »
Yeah. No question. It's a really good episode and all of the actors shine. I especially liked it when Willie asks Sarah the second time where she lives and she points and says, "OVER THERE!!!" LOL!
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 07:54:02 PM »
In the location footage of LE walking to the Old House, Roger also wears a caped coat. Must run in the family.

Even now, after Jason beat Willie up and un-friended him, Willie still defends him to Barnabas, saying that Jason is just bluffing.

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 02:57:27 AM »
Here we go. I am so ensconsed in the Karlenzine stories, it is mega hard to comment... I was trying to avoid this stuff.

If you delve into Willie and Jason's relationship - real deep - they've been traveling around the world on schooners, tug boats, and any other boat you can think of. Imagine it. So it seems only natural that Willie would defend his buddy as best he can. "Jason's only bluffing." he tells Barn. Willie has very little power to defend anyone at this point. Barnabas shoots him down every time. And this is why I don't get why Barnabas does't just kill Jason.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 12:17:05 AM »
I didn't get the feeling that Willie was defending Jason as a personal thing.  My impression is that it doesn't matter how close Jason and Willie were in the past.  Jason refers to Willie as an unscrupulous character, and if Willie doesn't similarly attack Jason, and indeed says that Jason's not a threat, it's simply because Willie doesn't want Barnabas killing anybody.  It's in the same category as telling Sarah to scram.

I don't get why Barnabas and Willie are so surprised about Maggie's death. Barnabas was going to kill her anyway.
But Barnabas was planning to kill Maggie because she wasn't going to die of her own accord - and then, surprise! she did die of her own accord.  So apparently, while they were doing their best to keep Maggie alive and able to assume the role of Josette should she choose to do so, they were inflicting irreparable damage on her.  And hey, they never meant to hurt her!  They were just going to kill her, that's all.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 01:57:08 AM »
Janet-- As for Barn not killing this or that person standing in his way-- I think it's a general tendency of people, even killers, to hesitate before taking such a big step.   We might expect killers to do it much more readily after watching years of TV in which a lot of villains kill on impulse because they're "evil".   I might be wrong-- how do I know, really?   

Apart from that sort of human hesitation, murders would convince everyone in town there's far more danger than they realized, and increase everyone's drive to get the killer.   Maybe the law thinks the kidnapper might have fled, and Barn would be wise to encourage them to think that... murders announce that he's still in town and determined to stay.   (By the way, the faking of Maggie's death must be driving the town unnecessarily crazy.)

Not knowing specifics about the dialogue I can't say more, except in general, adding more crimes is sloppy and attracts attention.  Also, I'm sure Barnabas considers himself a "gentleman", who would hold off from such acts unless absolutely necessary.  Besides, all he has to do is make plans to off someone, and it gets all those dogs howling!

I'm babbling too much on this.   I felt like posting again before trying to sleep, though.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 02:33:24 PM »
Janet-- As for Barn not killing this or that person standing in his way-- I think it's a general tendency of people, even killers, to hesitate before taking such a big step.   We might expect killers to do it much more readily after watching years of TV in which a lot of villains kill on impulse because they're "evil".   I might be wrong-- how do I know, really?   

Yeah, how would you? Hmm...

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 05:10:03 PM »
Yeah, how would you? Hmm...

Well, Janet, if I told you that, I'd have to... uh, never mind!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline alwaysdavid

• Senior Poster
  • My journey is beginning,
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »
Particularly enjoyed the disdain Roger has for the gleeful Jason. Roger coming throught the real woods to the old house with flashlight was good and then complaining to his new confidant about Jason.  Later Jason wonders about where Barnabas is during the day.
you know there's a whole wing that's closed off all the time; the west wing, I go there lots of times