Author Topic: Willie & Maggie  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
Willie & Maggie
« on: May 22, 2009, 06:37:39 AM »
Robservations episode 497 today has a lovely picture of Willie and Maggie, the scene where she decides that they can be friends, although Willie wants something more. He's so polite and gentle at this point, compared to his early days in Collinsport. This is a sweet and bittersweet saga for me because I'm a Willie fan and because Joe kicks Willie's ass and because Maggie strings him along. Maggie doesn't seem to know what the hell love is, especially when she accepts Tricky Nicky's proposal of marriage.
Just throwing some thoughts out there, folks.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: Willie & Maggie
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:09:26 PM »
Strangely enough Willie [spoiler]dragging Maggie to the mausoleum[/spoiler] was an expression of love, whereas the smooth ever-so-polite proper courting from Nick wasn't.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 08:36:07 PM »
I do like Maggie and Willie's friendship, and I never felt like she was encouraging anything more.
I do really like Maggie and Joe as a couple. I never really felt that Maggie was that into Nicholas, so it seemed odd that she accepted his proposal.

Offline MaggieEvans

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 10:55:38 PM »
Willie would have been so good for Maggie, and TO Maggie, if given the chance. I really don't think anyone else in Collinsport could have loved her as deeply and completely as he did. Not even Joe. Kinda like Julia with Barnabas. Grayson Hall did a great job with making sure we understood how much she loved Barnabas, without coming out and saying it.  I think John Karlen also captured that emotion and was able to convey that to the viewers... so you would feel a sense of joy when Maggie did something simple like accepting his friendship. VERY well done!
Have you ever had the sensation of being stared at? Like somebody was staring at you and you couldn't see them? Because I just had that feeling now. Somebody was looking at me. Looking right through me.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 03:30:38 AM »
I really enjoyed your post Maggie! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 04:43:30 AM »
I know it's been said before in these quarters, but John Karlen is simply a magnificent actor, and he really made Willie a three dimensional character. One of his best characteristics was his love for Maggie - and I think she eventually recognized how he felt, though she didn't return his feelings.
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2009, 05:37:52 AM »
I think this is my fourth time around watching the series (minus the Collectors Series--which I have viewed only once!) and I have to say that I love Karlen more and more!  He is an amazing actor!  Such depth he gave to Willie.  IT was a blessing for to take over the part!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MaggieEvans

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2009, 04:21:47 PM »
The very first time, as an adult, that I watched the series, Willie got on my nerves to no end. I really didn't like the character at all. I'm watching it all the way through (slowly... as DVDs come in) and this time, I really felt for Willie... kind of a pity at first, but now I see this man who, in his way, WANTS to do right. He's been given a chance, albeit an awkward way of going about it... but he's been given a chance to lead a life that doesn't include stealing and taking advantage of people. Maybe Barnabas is a father figure, and Willie didn't have a good upbringing? Who knows.... But to me, Willie is one of the few truly believable characters on the show. You WANT to get to know him. You want to know who he was, where he's been, etc.
Have you ever had the sensation of being stared at? Like somebody was staring at you and you couldn't see them? Because I just had that feeling now. Somebody was looking at me. Looking right through me.

Offline MaggieEvans

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2009, 04:26:06 PM »
I really enjoyed your post Maggie! :)

WOW! That was a nice compliment! Thank you!

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2009, 06:12:58 PM »
Your post above (reply #7) is a great post too, MaggieEvans!

It's so true that Willie is one of the most believable characters on "Dark Shadows," and we see so much growth from him from when he first appears on the show, through the time he is in thrall to Barnabas, on towards the middle/late part of the series when he's spending a good bit of time away from Collinsport, and has found a girlfriend (whom we never see).

The first guy to play Willie Loomis (James Hall?) wasn't up to much, IMO. But John Karlen just gave him so much life and, well, realness, for want of a better word. He starts out being a sleaze, and ends by being one of the most sympathetic characters on the show. You really want things to come out right for him, and get the feeling he's had a hard life. He doesn't know quite how to overcome his past, but we can see that he is actually an innately good person.

Does anyone know, has JK ever talked about any backstory he may have worked out for the character?
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 06:31:44 PM »
good points all around...

the show can be very contrived.it often asks us to accept things just because the writers(or dan curtis)put something into the script whether it seems believable or not(and i use the term "believable" loosely when it comes to this thing).

however sometimes something that an actor instinctually brings to their performance lends believability to something that becomes greater than what is actually spelled out in the writing.

examples could certainly be joan bennett playing elizabeth as if she were victoria's mother.what joan brought to that lends the situation certainty to many fans even though it never actually gets spelled out in specifics within the scripts.
also of course grayson hall' s decision to play julia as in love with barnabas.she created that on her own before the writing began to imply it without her ever actually coming out and saying it in so many words.yet again fans take it as gospel.

certainly john karlen's tender take on willie's feelings for maggie bring the situation greater poignancy than what the scripts actually call for.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.