Author Topic: Quentin's Skeleton in the Present  (Read 1054 times)

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Quentin's Skeleton in the Present
« on: April 22, 2009, 06:05:57 PM »
Since the 1897 episodes are being recapped at the point where Quentin is a werewolf and Edward and Judith have both see the werewolf, it appears that they were still heading towards Quentin being killed & sealed up in his room as David & Amy will find him.

At this point I think they were still using the original 1897 plan, until they added the Petofi storyline and changed the plan for Quentin.

Not counting the later episode where [spoiler]Beth’s ghost tells Julia about the night she killed Quentin (as that was after they changed course),[/spoiler] how do you think they were planning to end Quentin’s story going by the episodes currently being recapped?

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: Quentin's Skeleton in the Present
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 07:48:12 AM »
I honestly have NO idea what they were planning prior to this as during the lead up to the story most of the clues we were given turned out to be completely unrelated to anything going on in 1897. (Just who is Oscar and in 1888 Jamison would have been maybe 5 years old?) I think the only things they knew for sure was that there were 2 ghosts, a dead kid buried in the woods, and a gypsy named Magda had cursed someone.

I wish we could see the writer's notes on what they were planning to do.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 12:09:44 PM »
I thought Oscar was renamed Edward.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 06:55:28 PM »
Yeah he was, I'm just being nitpicky.  [laughing_devil]

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 01:13:07 AM »
I think the only things they knew for sure was that there were 2 ghosts, a dead kid buried in the woods, and a gypsy named Magda had cursed someone.

I wish we could see the writer's notes on what they were planning to do.

Think you're probably right about the bare bones of the plot.  Maybe a few more things:  Quentin was a rascal who came to a bad end, he was PISSED, he had an affinity for children, there was an 1897 werewolf that someone knew how to protect against, and the female ghost died wearing a wedding dress (that last is a guess, based on the mostly very appropriate costuming, and my running into the clone of Beth's dress on a Victorian costuming site, with the provenance given as an 1890s wedding dress).

Yeah, wouldn't writers notes on intentions be a wonderful thing?  Course I'd also like to see the character sketches the actors made up to get a handle on their characters, but that's just me.  [ghost_grin]  Hey as long as you want the impossible, you might as well wish for multiple impossible things before breakfast. 

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2009, 03:06:50 AM »
no surprise here.when do the time travel storylines ever follow through with their lead-ups?

1795 plays out vastly different than the description of events barnabas gives to carolyn and vicki and later julia in 1967.1897 and 1840 similarly differ greatly from the clues and mysteries being set up in their run-ups.

characters become popular and change directions.actors leave mid-storyline.ratings climb and plots get extended...

...and,of course as we all know,in the pre-videotape era these episodes were only intended to be watched once.so it might have been a case of the writers simply assuming the viewers would not recall the exact sequence of events as spelled out months earlier.

of course today we all know this thing inside and out and can compare and contrast details ad infinitum but that's certainly not how it was intended to be viewed.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2009, 10:49:53 PM »
The one odd thing about this is:

[spoiler]With history changed and Quentin not dying, the writers, for whatever reason, decided there still had to be a body sitting on the chair and sealed up in Quentin's room. Watching originally, I thought they forgot this when they had Beth shoot Quentin and then he staggered to the tower room to die instead of his own room.

They even went on to mention why there was wood paneling instead of the bricks sealing the room![/spoiler]

...and,of course as we all know,in the pre-videotape era these episodes were only intended to be watched once.so it might have been a case of the writers simply assuming the viewers would not recall the exact sequence of events as spelled out months earlier.