Author Topic: the bangor pine!  (Read 1430 times)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
the bangor pine!
« on: March 24, 2009, 02:59:40 AM »
it's been several years since i sat down and watched the 1966 episodes in their entirety...

i had completely forgotten about the opulence,the splendor,the lusciousness that is the "bangor pine" restaurant.it's the creamiest set ever!

it's so swank,so mechelin 3 star.

i love that it's bustling with waiters and maitre d's.so many extras.

burke and carolyn make a rather plebeian meal of salad and steak but it seems like the kind of place that would serve lots of things flambeed.perhaps they ordered crepes suzette for desert!

it's funny that they went to the trouble of such a nicely detailed set that only got one or two uses(i seem to recall vicki and frank garner there at some point).i'm trying to figure out the pattern on the wallpaper.sort of palm fronds and ivy.very 1940's.it sort of suggests that even at this juncture the old bangor pine was already a bit of a dowager.a bit passe.but i'd so love to dine there!

apart from everything else this episode(#42) is notable for another very signifigant reason...it is here that burke first gifts carolyn with THE PEN.we'll be seeing alot more of that for sure.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
Re: the bangor pine!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 01:12:27 AM »
Hmm, considering the opulent set and the higher than normal count of extras, is it possible that some other show had already built the set, and DS somehow got the use of it?  It certainly seems out of the normal run of their occasional use sets.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 03:13:59 AM »
over the weekend i watched a gorgeous suite of episodes set at the bangor pine.

it's one of the dreamiest sets ever.

the scenes filmed here almost feel like a different show entirely.they employ a different set of musical cues than the gothic sturm und drang heard at collinwood(which i believe is supposed to be the music playing in the restaurant)and it lends the sequence a pleasant "peyton place" type feel.

it is here vicki first meets frank garner.they share a few sweet scenes.considering the types of domineering blowhards she hooks up with in later years it's melancholy to see the buddings of a relationship with a nice,normal guy.sigh.

alexandra moltke still gets me after all these years and here,in a full upsweep,she's radiant.very much the proper soap heroine.

she shares what should have been an especially poignant scene with burke but unfortunately mitch ryan is totally off his game and reads the entire thing directly from the teleprompter.

loved these episodes.

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2009, 10:40:18 PM »
I just watched those episodes earlier this year and really enjoyed them, too! It IS nice to see Vicki hook up with a more normal guy than she will be paired with later in the series. And it kind of sucks that they just stopped using Frank Garner after the Laura storyline was over, and never really explained why he wasn't around anymore. I sort of liked the actor - wasn't his name Conard Fowkes or something unusual like that?

The Bangor Pine was a great set - I'd totally have dinner there. Bet their drinks were strong and their lobster to die for! And I'm with Pansity on the thought that maybe that set was built for another show and they let Dark Shadows use it for an afternoon or three. What other soaps did ABC have on the air in 1966/67?
My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2009, 04:23:34 PM »
interesting thought about the set...

d.s. was moved to it's own studio at some point but in 1966 i think it was still filmed at an abc studio.

perhaps this luxurious set was built for another program and "lent" to d.s.

the series is quite engaging up to this point.i'm always surprised that this series(as opposed to what it later becomes which is essentially a different show with the same name)failed to catch on in a bigger way.

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 08:54:53 PM »
The first location for the taping of Dark Shadows was Studio 2 at 24W 64th Street in Manhattan.  It was very cramped and they would remain there for only a few weeks.  The second and final location was the West 53rd Street Studio which most of us are familiar with.  This is where The Montel Williams Show was taped.  As for the set, everything was specifically designed and built for Dark Shadows by Sy Tomashoff.  Nothing was borrowed from other shows.  Michael Hackett Todd     

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 03:44:25 AM »
Nice to see you posting Michealhacketttodd!  I know you have posts but I haven't saw the other ones! :)  Welcome!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline michaelhacketttodd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 08:12:24 PM »
Does anyone have any current information on Michael Maitland (Leviathan Child Michael)?  He was to appear at a Fest around 2002, but was a  no-show.  Michael Hackett Todd