Author Topic: Dameon Who?  (Read 5089 times)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Dameon Who?
« on: April 23, 2008, 01:49:03 AM »
Okay, I've always enjoyed the PT1970 plot (well, not the Cyrus/Yeager thing so much), and I've seen it a million times over, from when I first watched it originally airing to the many repeats on the Sci-Fi Channel.  But the one thing I can't figure out is exactly who is this Dameon guy, why is he haunting everyone, what's he got to do with anything.  It seems to me they brought him in, had him spook around, and then dumped him like a flat episode of Ghost Hunters.  So, can someone fill me in about him?  What am I constantly missing?

Gerard

IluvBarnabas

Re: Dameon Who?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2008, 04:15:16 AM »
[spoiler] Dameon was apparently another of Angelique's lovers (or at least another admirer) and he kept bothering her to the point that she had him murdered. She had Bruno kill him and then had him and Trask dispose of Dameon's body. That's why Dameon was haunting Bruno and Trask. Evidentally Dameon knew that Angelique had switched places with Alexis and when Angelique summoned up his ghost, he admitted he intended to let Quentin know the truth about her, but Angelique prevented this by sending his spirit back to his grave for good.[/spoiler]

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2008, 07:24:27 AM »
His Leisure-Suitedness confused the crap out of me too, for a considerable time.    I think ILB hit it on the head.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 07:36:32 AM »
...apparently...or at least...Evidentally...
That's the problem: we are never exactly told.  (No disrespect intended, IluvBarnabas!)

Our esteemed MB said:
It's most probably true that there's no one scene where someone lays out the entire Dameon Edwards story, BUT everything about how/why his death occurred is indeed explained. The writer's provided all the details. And personally when it comes to a lot of the shows that I watch I'm often happier not to have the writers spoon feed me and/or tie things up with a nice neat bow because it means the writers trust the intelligence of their audience.  :)

I disagreed with him on the desirability of spoon feeding, but kept my mouth shut on the extent to which the how and why of his death were explained.  I figured maybe I had forgotten some explanatory scene.  It's nice to know that, even if I did, I'm in good company.

[spoiler]I don't remember Dameon saying he was going to tell Quentin about Angelique.  I don't remember him saying anything at all.  I think at that point Angelique just wanted him out of hair.  As for the how of his death, I was never 100% convinced that Angelique had anything to do with it before the fact.  Did I miss something on that?  And as for the why, well, I don't know.  IluvBarnabas's suggestion that he was bothering Angelique to the point of murder seems unlikely, even for Angelique.  Surely a lovely lady like that knew ways of getting rid of an unwanted suitor without resorting to homicide.  Maybe he was blackmailing her?  (In that case I would immediately become 100% convinced that Angelique did instigate the murder.)[/spoiler]

I'm not sure why I added the spoiler warning, since this is all so speculative, but I figure I'll follow the crowd.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 08:00:58 AM »
The fascinating thing that I find about this issue is that seemingly every year a topic or two or three references confusion over Dameon and we go over it all over again (do a search, you'll see :)). Though seemingly a lot of people have been missing out on reading those topics.  :(

Honestly, I've always thought the Dameon subplot was handled pretty straightforwardly and completely - but perhaps those of us who believe that are in the minority.  [idontknow]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2008, 08:13:37 AM »
[spoiler]IluvBarnabas's suggestion that he was bothering Angelique to the point of murder seems unlikely, even for Angelique.  Surely a lovely lady like that knew ways of getting rid of an unwanted suitor without resorting to homicide.  Maybe he was blackmailing her?  (In that case I would immediately become 100% convinced that Angelique did instigate the murder.)[/spoiler]

Well, before you say that ever again, you just may want to watch Ep #1006, as I suggested people might do in this topic from last year ([wink2]):

Dameon Edwards was an affair that Angelique had, one of her many apparently. ... This is all just pure speculation on my part.

Actually, it's more than just speculation that Dameon and Ang had had an affair. Ang admits as much in Ep #1006 and it's explained that [spoiler]she got Trask and Bruno to take care of him for her because he was becoming too persistent in his, uh, affections.[/spoiler]

Although, people can also just read this excerpt from Robservations (an excellent and often overlooked resource on the forum  ;)) - it will also settle the question of whether [spoiler]Dameon threatened to tell Quentin.  :)[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Dameon, says Angelique, I gave you every opportunity to go away and leave me alone, but you refused--I did what had to be done. You mean you got Bruno and Trask to do it for you? he accuses (I definitely get the idea there was dialogue before this, but they cut it out).  Bruno loved me the way I wanted to be loved, she says. No man loved you like I did! says Dameon. She holds up her hand and orders, stay where you are, don't come any closer--keep looking into my eyes. I know you want your death revenge, I cannot blame you for that, but I cannot allow it--I have laid many plans here, and I won't have them upset by you or anyone else. And I won't rest until Quentin knows the truth about you, promises Dameon.  You will rest, Angelique assures him--I summoned you here and I can send you away again--you had to appear because I used the candle of the seven secrets, they can bring you here because they have control over life, and they can send you away again because they control death--they can send you back to your grave forever. He assures her, the candles have no power over me. Try to move, she suggests, to lift your hand and snuff out the candles. I can't move! cries Dameon.  I have a hold over you in death, too, she says--you see, and when the seventh candle appears, you appeared, when the seventh is snuffed out, you will return to your tomb and never appear again. NO! shouts Dameon, you can't do it!  Poor Dameon, croons Ang, putting out the candles, just as handsome and charming in death as you were in life--and every bit as meddlesome!--but not for much longer--goodbye, Dameon.  She snuffs out the final candle as Dameon begs for his--er--existence. He cries out and disappears, leaving only the skeleton hanging there. Angelique bursts into evil laughter, "Now nothing stands in my way, the house will be mine again, Dameon--Quentin will be mine again, and nothing can stop me--nothing!"[/spoiler]

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2008, 08:20:24 AM »
Yup, I had forgotten that.  I keep confusing Dameon Edwards with the nameless guy that Charles Delaware Tate created.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2008, 08:29:09 AM »
Well, confusing characters is a bigger problem than the DS writers could have ever hoped to solve.  [b003]  But then, I suppose that just comes with aging. Getting older is a bitch sometimes!  :D  :'(

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 10:57:14 AM »
Well, confusing characters is a bigger problem than the DS writers could have ever hoped to solve.  [b003]  But then, I suppose that just comes with aging. Getting older is a bitch sometimes!  :D  :'(

Personally, I find the gradual approach of death invigorating.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 01:11:32 PM »
Thanks, everyone, for the explanations!  Now I'm getting it.  I don't know why I had such a block about the whole thing, why, after watching the episodes for umpteenth million times and there being numerous posts here about the Dameon "mystery," I just could not figure it out or understand it.  Maybe there was something annoying about the guy (especially those clothes) that made me suppress it in my mind.

Gerard

Offline adamsgirl

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2008, 03:13:06 PM »
Thank you, MB, for clearing this up so completely! I, too, couldn't remember what the heck the whole Dameon haunting was about. It seemed so disjointed and incomplete, but that's really not the case. It's nice to finally have it set right in this aging brain.  [ghost_grin]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008, 07:14:03 PM »
Maybe there was something annoying about the guy (especially those clothes) that made me suppress it in my mind.

That could definitely be it because I seem to recall you taking part in this topic from last year:

Bruno Is Horrified... and For Good Reason!

And to answer your question more than a bit belatedly: yes, people really did dress like that and think it was groovy.  [lghy]

(And that was also yet another topic where aspersions were cast against ascots. They can't seem to catch a break.  ;))

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 12:37:45 AM »
MB, you've got an incredible memory!  I can't recall what I had for breakfast, but you can always pull it all together!

Gerard

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 09:04:23 AM »
Interesting that several people have trouble remembering how Dameon's story went.  He hung around Collinwood making threats for quite while, it seemed - and then he was gone in the wink of an eye.

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 02:15:37 PM »
I'm surprised that I even remember anything about the Dameon Edwards story. The 1970 Parallel Time storyline has never been one of my favorites.

Go figure.