Author Topic: #1183/1184: Robservations 11/25/03: Another Witchcraftian Death  (Read 1325 times)

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
#1183/1184: Robservations 11/25/03: Another Witchcraftian Death
« on: November 24, 2003, 11:28:32 AM »
1183 - Marry you? asks Daphne.  I've loved you from the first moment I saw you, admits Gerard, the day Quentin brought you in and introduced to me as his governess--you see, I'm not afraid to mention his name (she turns away), but you don't want to hear it, do you--tell me how you feel?  Afraid, she confesses.  Yes, he says--afraid to say yes, afraid of the proposal.  You know me so well, she says.  So very well, he assures her.  Better than anyone else, I sometimes think, she says.  Isn't that what love is, he asks--isn't it?--when two people know each other so very well?--I know you're upset about Joanna's return.  I'm glad my sister's alive, insists Daphne.  Are you? he asks--of course you are--however, it does change things around, doesn't it?  She walks away from him.  He pursues her--although you aren't willing to admit it right now, he says, your life is changing, isn't it?--Quentin used to mention Joanna quite a lot aboard ship.  Quentin and Joanna had broken up long before that trip, protests Daphne.  But he still couldn't get her out of his mind; he could never forget about her, says Gerard insidiously--does Joanna still love Quentin, Daphne?  I don't know, she replies, upset.  Are you sure you don't? he asks.  I haven't had time to think it out, she insists.  This is the time, isn't it? he asks--you see you are depending on me, and that's the way it should be--he puts his hands on her shoulders and says, "Daphne, you must marry me--I will show you new worlds you've never seen before, wondrous new lands, I know that sounds fascinating for you, doesn't it?--you will admit that, at least."  Yes she says uncertainly.  And under that fascination, he says, his arms around her waist, you know something is missing--something that does exist--love--and it's time, Daphne, you learned about it.  They're standing at the foot of the bed now, about to kiss, but Samantha barges the room and catches them.  Well! she says severely, isn't there something you should be doing, Miss Harridge, instead of looking around the house?  You will remember what I told you, Daphne? murmurs Gerard with a chuckle.  Yes, she says, and leaves.  So this is where the lovers meet! accuses Samantha.  What a suspicious woman you are! complains Gerard--I merely come here because I want quiet and peace!--and a little chance to think--she had no idea I was here--she was rather shocked at Joanna's return, so I thought perhaps I could help her.  You're so concerned about her, says Sam nastily, you can't leave any woman alone, can you? (Bingo!--where does he get the energy?)--advising her, helping her with her problems--what about ME?  Now, Samantha, says Gerard.  'Now Samantha,' she mocks, that's the sympathy I get, that's the understanding you give me--don't you understand?--a woman has come back from the dead to kill me?  You're very wrong, my dear, says Gerard, she's very much alive.  If she is, says Sam, sitting on the bed, she'll remember that I tried to kill her--why does she act as if she doesn't know me, why?--You're such a big help to Daphne, why don't you help me?--that woman is going to kill me!  Samantha, says Gerard warningly, you're becoming hysterical again.  You don't care, do you? she asks him, you'd like it if she killed me because you no longer have any use for me.  If you'll excuse me, he says, and tries to leave the room.  She stops him, grabs his arms, and says, "When you found out I was writing those letters and leaving them, impersonating Joanna, you had plenty of use for me, didn't you?--I was so weak to give in to you, to forgive you your cruelties--you said you loved me!  And I can still say it, says Gerard.  But you don't mean it, do you? she snaps--you can't get rid of me so easily this time, you can't push me away--I know too much about you!--I can go to Quentin now.  I wouldn't do that, he threatens.  I can go to Barnabas! she reminds him.  No, he says.  I know so much about you! she cries, her face filled with venom.  Stop it! he orders.
They begin to struggle.  Let go of me! she demands, getting into his face--I'll go to court and tell them all--you're going to be sorry!  He slaps her across the face and she falls onto the bed.

Holding her sore cheek, Samantha gazes at Gerard with blazing hated.  "You...you..." she says.  He apologizes. So it's come to this--you don't even have to pretend now, she says, hurt.  She rises from the bed.  You became hysterical, he reminds her.  You don't have to be nice to me now, she says.  I will be nice to you, my dear, if you would let me, he says.  Let you?--all I want is to feel you beside me, she says, to know I can count on you.  If that's all you want, he says, sitting on the bed beside her, I'll be by your side, but you must forget these jealousies you have, these little scenes you cause.  What am I going to do? she asks.  The first thing you must do is realize you don't know all my plans, he says, I have reasons for everything I do--I have one why Daphne was in this room.  Don't you think I know THAT? she asks sarcastically. There you go again, he says, my reasons aren't exactly like yours.  What are your reasons? she asks.  Do you think I will tell you, he asks, after the threats you made to me?--your threats are not exactly conducive to confidence.  She looks sorry.  I won't tell Barnabas, she promises.  And after the trial is over, he says, kissing her cheek, all the games will be over.  Will they be? she asks--he caresses her face--or will there be new games, Gerard?--and what am I going to do about Joanna?  I promise to take care of her, he says--run along--I want some time to think.  Will you come to me tonight? she asks.  If I can, he assures her.  (Now we know how he's been comforting her nights).  Before leaving the room, she gives him a longing look and asks, bitterly "Why did I have to fall in love with you?"  She leaves.  To himself, Gerard thinks, I don't know, it isn't Joanna I have to think about--it's you, Samantha, you're the problem that will have to be solved.  (Oh, oh, Sam, are your days numbered?)

Jail - Quentin, says Joanna, Daphne showed me one of the notes she's been receiving--"It wasn't my handwriting, so I don't know if it was mine, I didn't write it--do you know who could have done it?"  I couldn't prove it, at least not now, Quentin says.  We must find out, she says--we, I said we--for so long now, I've said I must do this, I must do that--now that I'm with you, I say we.  He starts to say something.  Joanna shows him her locket.  Did you see this? she asks--I've been wearing it in the hospital--everything else is gone, it just disappeared--do you know when you gave it to me?  Yes, I remember, he says, reluctantly.  It was at my birthday, she says, grinning, you said next year, at my next birthday, I would be Mrs. Quentin Collins, living at Collinwood--next year, everything would be different.  Yeah, says Quentin, pacing the cell, not knowing what to say to her remembrances.  You don't mind me saying these things, do you? she asks.  Quentin looks uncomfortable.  I've learned to appreciate the good times, she says.  Do you remember all the bad times? he asks--the night shortly after your birthday, when I told you Samantha wouldn't give me a divorce?--remember what happened to us after that?  The fighting was my fault, she insists.  No it wasn't, says Quentin.  The fighting was just to hold us together, she says, I was just...  Now listen to me, interrupts Quentin, we simply realized that whatever we had between us was gone.  It only seemed so, she says.  You agreed when it happened, when we broke up, he reminds her.  I didn't mean for it to be forever, she says.  When we separated, you said you didn't love me anymore, he says.  I only said that because you wanted me to say it, she insists, because you didn't feel you loved me anymore--do you think it's right we're separated now?--tell me, Quentin, I won't go to pieces, I'm strong now.  Yes, he says, I think it's right we're separated.  You're in love again, with someone else? she asks--who, Quentin, tell me who?  Daphne, he replies.  Oh, she says, my darling Quentin, of course, she's so much like what I was.  But I love her now, he says.  Does she love you? she asks.  Yes, he replies.  Heartbroken, she sits down.  He sits beside her--thank you very much for coming here, he says gently, for testifying for me--because if I'm freed, it's only going to be because of you--but I think it best you leave Collinsport now.  Now? she asks, you want me to leave now?  It almost seems as if he's going to kiss her, but he rises, a look of pain on his face.  Quentin, says Joanna, you haven't forgotten me, you can't say you have.  No, I haven't forgotten, he says.  I cannot leave now, she insists.

Collinwood  - Daphne works at the drawing room desk, perhaps governess paperwork.  Samantha enters.  I'm very sorry if I upset you by being in that wing of the house, says Daphne.  You always upset me, says Sam, your loyalty is not to Tad and me, but to my husband, isn't it?  I'm sorry you feel that way, says Daphne.  You could make me feel much better, you know, says Sam.  How? asks Daphne.
By being honest with me for once, says Sam, what did your sister Joanna say about me--what?

My sister said nothing about you, says Daphne, puzzled.  Are you sure? asks Sam.  Of course I'm sure, says Daphne, standing--I don't understand, you were never mentioned--though you may be interested in knowing I showed her one of those letters that her ghost had supposedly left for me--Joanna never wrote it.  I can't understand what's happening in this house, says Sam, shrugging.  I've been honest with you, says Daphne, would you kindly be the same with me?--sometime ago, I thought the ghost of Joanna Mills was coming for me--I was in this room--remember that?--you were looking over my shoulder, and screamed--you said you saw the spirit.  I testified to that effect in court, yes, says Sam.  My sister is very much alive, says Daphne, are you sure you saw anyone at all?  What are you accusing me of? demands Sam--you saw the spirit yourself after the seance you had with my husband!  I saw a figure, that's all, says Daphne, and I think it was a very real person, a person intent on frightening me from this house!  You think it was I? cries Sam.  I don't know, says Daphne.  You'll have to blame someone else, says Sam, I am not responsible--she leaves the room.  Upon meeting Gerard coming downstairs, she quietly says, Daphne suspects me--she thinks I left those letters.  I'll take care of it, Gerard promises.  You had better, she warns.  He gives her a look and enters the drawing room.  Samantha heads upstairs.  Arguing with the lady of the house again, Daphne? asks Gerard.  I'm beginning to think she's dangerous, says Daphne.  I'll protect you, he says--let me protect you.  Please, she says, I need time to think.  She leaves.  You need help, Daphne, yes you do, he says to himself--help in making up your mind.

Daphne goes to the bridal chamber--why, she asks herself, do I only feel peace in this room?  She sits on the bed, then lies down.  Only here, she muses.

Sleep, Daphne, orders Gerard, sitting before the fireplace in the drawing room--sleep, and in your dreams you will see what trouble you have been and the problems you have caused--and this time in your dreams, you will remember!  He holds up the witch's symbol before the fire.

Daphne dreams:  She sees Joanna and Quentin together.
My Joanna's come back to me, says Quentin joyously.  He kisses Joanna--I didn't think I'd see you again, he murmurs.  You'd forgotten me, says Joanna.  No, he assures her; they kiss again.  It's as if no time has passed, she says, it's as if we're back in our cottage--we can be together again.  We've got to be, says Quentin, holding her, do you think I could ever love anyone, knowing you were alive?--when I came back from sea, the first thing I wanted to do was find you again.--do you love me, as much as I love you?  Yes, yes, she says, smiling.  They kiss again as Joanna's sappy music plays in the background.  Daphne awakens muttering no!, asking Joanna, "What am I going to do?--oh, Joanna!"

(Final act not summarized, including scenes between Daphne and Joanna,
Joanna and Samantha,
and Daphne and Quentin.)

NOTES:  Gerard continues working hard to push Daphne into his arms and his bed.  He's contemplating doing something to get rid of Samantha.  He uses women for witchcraft and sex, then seems happy to toss them aside, yet he loves and wants Daphne for his wife.  What would a coven master want with a wife, anyway?  She has shown herself a woman of spirit, even of murderous intent, but she really doesn't seem to be his type--unless he's going for a virgin, which Miranda probably was when she came into Judah's circle.

Joanna still loves Quentin, but he doesn't feel the same way, that's clear, and her profession of love embarrasses him.  Perhaps Samantha has good reason for her bitterness.  Perhaps she and Quentin were simply ill-matched, but he seems to have easily slipped from the older sister to the younger one--barely switching gears in the process.

1184 - Jail - Daphne comes to see Quentin and sadly says, I can't see you anymore--there, I said it, I didn't know how I would, but I had to. He reaches for her through the bars.  Please don't, she says, drawing back--she loves you, Joanna loves you very much.  Joanna and I were through before I went to sea, he says.  No you weren't, protests Daphne, moving away from him.  Are you telling me what I feel? he demands.  You would still feel the same way if it weren't for me, she says--I should never have come to Collinwood, I should never have gone to work for you.  If you hadn't, he says, reaching for her, I would have regretted it for the rest of my life.  Please don't talk to me that way, she begs, I can't listen to it.  Joanna will be all right, he assures her.  She won't, says Daphne--Joanna will never be all right without you.  Are you willing to sacrifice us to prove that? asks Quentin.  I don't feel the same way about you anymore, she says--I'm sorry, I don't, that's what I'm trying to tell you.  What? he asks, disbelieving--you'll have to wait until I get out of jail.  That has nothing to do with what I'm going to do, she says--I'm going to marry Gerard Stiles.  Quentin gazes at her, stunned.

Gerard Stiles? repeats Quentin--you love me, just what made you change?  I don't know myself, says Daphne, you don't know the hold he has over me--when he looks into my eyes, I feel he knows me.  And I know you, too, says Quentin, and I know I won't let you marry Gerard--you're going to at least wait until I get out of this place, give me a chance to divorce Samantha--and I am going to do that.  We could never be happy now, insists Daphne, shaking her head.  When's the last time you talked to Joanna? asks Quentin.  Talked to Joanna?--about an hour ago, says Daphne.  And that was right after she visited me this afternoon, he says--did she tell you what I told her?--didn't she tell you that I told her I love you.  Oh, Quentin, you shouldn't have done that, protests Daphne.  Why do you want me to lie? he asks, why do you think she didn't tell you?  I don't know, says Daphne, it was such a shock to her, and she loves you so very much.  And I love you, he says, framing her face in his hands--doesn't that mean anything?  Yes it does, she says, but...  But what? he asks, moving away from her--I really can't believe what's happening--I know you better than Gerard does--what did he do to make you change so much?  If I could explain it, I would, she says quietly.  You've got to promise me you won't do anything until I get out of this place, he insists.  I can't promise that, she says.  You've got to! he says--the trial is going to be over soon, they haven't proven me guilty of witchcraft--they have only one witness left, Mordecai Grimes, and what can he testify?--that his cattle died and he's going to try to blame me--that's nothing!--I'm going to be free soon, and Joanna will leave.  Do you really think that can solve the problems between us? she asks.  I'll MAKE it solve the problems, he says intensely--just promise me you won't do anything until the trial is over--just wait, that's all I'm asking.  Daphne looks up at him, her eyes searching his face.

The Grimes residence - Mordecai, shaking a paper in his hand, tells Jeremy, Dawson doesn't know what he's talking about.  Dawson's your hero, Father, says Jeremy--what can he possibly do wrong?  Mind your tongue when you talk to me, orders Grimes, the good Lord sent me an ungrateful, unloving son--Dawson says he doesn't know whether I should come to court or not--he says he doesn't know whether my testimony would be damning enough--they've given up--they're going to let that warlock go free!  Jeremy grins--if they acquit Quentin, then he isn't a warlock, he says.  He's put a spell on Charles Dawson, insists Grimes.
Oh, Father, chides Jeremy.  If Mr. Dawson don't want my testimony, says Grimes, there are others who do--people higher up than him!  Who, Father? asks Jeremy.  You think I'd tell you, says Grimes, knowing how you feel about that warlock--when I was a boy, we knew the difference between right and wrong, we...  Jeremy, angry, doesn't stick around to listen, prepares to leave.  Where are you going? asks Grimes. Out, says Jeremy, throwing on his cape, because if I stay here any longer, I'll...  You'll do what? demands Grimes.  I don't want to find out myself, says Jeremy, and exits.  Don't stay out late, you hear? demands Grimes, shouting at the closed door--don't go tom-catting around the village, or I'll hear about it!--you see, Mr. Dawson...he re-reads the note.

Carrie, flowers in her hair, waits for Jeremy in the woods.  When he shows up, she says, I didn't think you were coming.  Carrie, he says.  I was going to go back to Collinwood, she says.  I'll accompany you there tonight, he says.  No, she says.  I would have, he says, stepping closer--I would have.  They gaze into each other's eyes, his arms around her.  You shouldn't be holding me, it's wrong, she protests.  You're very old-fashioned, he says.  You shouldn't criticize me for it, she says.  Of course I should, he says, because you have to get over it.  Why can't you like me the way I am? she asks.  I do like you, you know I do, he says, I like you a lot.  You have a funny way of showing it, she says--you ask me to sneak out when I'm supposed to be in the house, you ask me to lie. You know it's the only time we can see each other, he says.  There should be another time, during the day, she says.  I can't, he says, it's not because I'm afraid of my father, I have work to do--chores--something, during the day, I want to see you so much--see the sun shining on your hair--he touches her hair, and she moves out of his reach--now what did I say wrong?  Nothing, she says.  Why did you turn away then? he asks.  Because you always want to know what I'm feeling, she says.  Of course I do, he says.  But sometimes you can't, she says, sometimes...  "A girl has got to have her secrets?" he asks--"I don't believe that--you've been listening to Mrs. Flora Collins again."  And what's wrong with that? asks Carrie--you just want me to listen to you.  Yes, he admits.  But sometimes you're wrong, she says.  Not about you, he says--moving in close.  They kiss, once, then merge for a longer one.

Daphne returns to Collinwood.  When Gerard meets her, she avoids his gaze.  I see you didn't want to see me, he says, that's quite obvious--you were hoping I wouldn't be waiting for you, yet you knew I would be here--you see, my dear, I know everything about you still--why don't we go into the drawing room?  I don't want to talk tonight, she says.  You haven't answered my question about whether or not you'll marry me, he reminds her.  She is silent.  I was hoping you'd reach a decision before going to Quentin, he says.  She looks at him, startled--how did you know I went to see Quentin? she asks.  When will you stop being surprised at what I know? he asks--and I'll tell you something else
--something you're going to say to me; 'I'm sorry, Gerard, I will not marry you--I don't know my feelings--Quentin has convinced me not to--the trial may be over tomorrow but I still don't know'--isn't that your little speech?  Yes, she admits. I'm sorry, my dear, he says, turning her around to face him, that you won't accept me--but I have a feeling that deep, deep down in your heart, you know you will.  I don't know, she says, I don't know how I feel!  You will, he assures her, caressing her hair, you will--he kisses her, and she responds.

Quentin paces his cell, looking a real wreck.  Gerard enters.  Well, well, well, says Quentin sarcastically, what an unexpected visit--I didn't really think you'd have the nerve to come here.  Quentin, says Gerard, I've come to tell you that I am in love with Daphne.  You were in love with Samantha, too, points out Quentin bitterly (as were you, once), before I got back to Collinwood.  I only felt sorry for Samantha, says Gerard, I thought we could share a life together.  My life? asks Quentin--that's what you want, isn't it?--that's what you've always wanted.  Quentin, chides Gerard, acting hurt, shaking his head.  You've almost got it all, haven't you? asks Quentin softly--Collinwood, the fortune...  The estate reverts back to you when you are free, Gerard reminds him.  If I am free, and will I be? asks Quentin.  I certainly think so, says Gerard.  I doubt it when I look at you, says Quentin--Barnabas and Desmond tried to warn me about you, and I wouldn't listen to them--but now this about Daphne--and I asked you to watch out for her, didn't I?  He's poking his head through the bars, his voice dangerous and soft.  I should have controlled my emotions, says Gerard, I tried...  I don't think you have emotions! says Quentin--human emotions, at least!  What do you mean? asks Gerard.  You have a plan, don't you, you're very smart, says Quentin--you believe me, I am not going to let you marry Daphne, because I know what her life would be like. And will you prevent that? asks Gerard.  I would kill you first, vows Quentin.  I can't believe those words came out of your mouth--my very best friend, says Gerard, feigning disbelief quite well.
Quentin bursts into laughter and says, "What hypocrisy--get out of here!--I don't want to look at you."  I came here to tell you, says Gerard, or to try to make you understand, that falling in love is a voluntary (I think he means involuntary) thing--if it is a crime, then I am guilty of that--but that is the only thing I am guilty of--he leaves.  Quentin sits down, covering his head with his hands.

Woods - Jeremy leads Carrie home.  You must not come any farther, she warns.  Of course I'll come farther, he says, I'm taking you into the house.  Please, she begs.  It's a night to storm the citadel! He insists.  Then they'll know I've been out, she protests.  It's time they knew, it's time everyone knew! he says grandly--I'm willing--are you?  She nods; he kisses her.  The enter Collinwood together.  He looks around--I feel quite at home here, he says.  Go, she urges, before someone comes.  A door opens; standing there is Mordecai Grimes!  Jeremy! cries Carrie.
Good evening, Father, Jeremy greets his pop.  Mordecai puts on a tall, ridiculous looking hat and asks his son, what are you doing in this house?  I could ask you the same question, points out Jeremy.  You're seeing HER, says Mordecai, pointing at Carrie, who is dreadfully upset--one of THEM--that's where you've been going nights!--trying to get you on their side--but they won't do it, you'll have no part of their witchcraft!  Mr. Grimes! scolds Carrie.  We're leaving, now, insists Mordecai, who tries to push his son along.  Jeremy won't budge. YOU may be, says Grimes Junior.  You're coming with me! shouts Mordecai.  No I'm not, says Jeremy, not until I say good night.  Stay away from him, Grimes orders Carrie--stay away from him with your spells--you'll be in the dock with Quentin Collins, where you belong--where you all belong!  Jeremy, go with him, please, begs Carrie.  Listen to her, says Mordecai--say goodbye--for the last time.  Good NIGHT, Carrie, says Jeremy.  I wouldn't have come here at all if it weren't for Mr. Stiles, says Mordecai--and I'm glad I did, because I'm going to stop you two if it's the last thing I do!  He rushes past Jeremy and out the door.  Jeremy, try to make him understand, pleads Carrie.  I'll try, promises young Grimes.

2:20 - Grimes home - Mr. Grimes, says Gerard, I heard you were at Collinwood earlier looking for me--and that you left Carrie Stokes in quite a state.  No better than she deserved, insists Mordecai, living in that house--that place of corruption.  It isn't corrupting me, points out Gerard.  So I heard from our friend, Lamar Trask, says Grimes.  Naturally, says Gerard, in the affair of this witchcraft trial, I would like my public appearance to be that of neutrality.  Trask told me you was going to speak to Charles Dawson--convince him I ought to testify at the trial tomorrow, says Grimes.  Yes, agrees Gerard, I thought that would be good--however, I don't believe your testimony would be strong enough--it just so happens that about an hour ago, I was going through Quentin's lab and found a certain piece of evidence someone overlooked--evidence I'm sure Dawson can use to get the verdict of guilty!  Mordecai smiles--which he ought to get, yes, he says smugly.  However, says Gerard, I do not wish to abandon this neutrality, and so I was wondering, tomorrow, when you testify, if somehow you could incorporate this special evidence into your testimony--without reference to me, of course.  If it will help to hang that warlock, I'll do it, Grimes grins.  Gerard chuckles--you're a very agreeable man, he says--thank you--right now, I'd like you to write a little note to Mr. Dawson.  He don't know nothing about this? says Grimes.  Unfortunately not, says Gerard--you see, I would write it myself, but I've done something to my hand--he shows Grimes his bandaged left hand.  I'll write it, Grimes assures him, and send it by my son tonight.  You must realize this note could be used as evidence in the trial, says Gerard, so my name should not appear anywhere, you understand.  Yes, says Grimes, already sitting down at a table, feather pen in hand, a smile on his face.  Now, says Gerard, dictating, "Dear Mr. Dawson--I would appreciate very much your coming here as rapidly as you possibly can, for I have uncovered certain evidence that will show without reasonable doubt the guilt of Quentin Collins.  Would you please kindly hurry as fast as possible, yours very sincerely, Mordecai Grimes."  Mordecai finishes with a satisfied, "Done!"  Good, says Gerard, it should take Mr. Dawson about an hour in which to get here--in the meantime, I shall go back to Collinwood, get the evidence, and bring it back here--Mr. Grimes, it has been a pleasure working with you and I'm certainly relieved you took all this load off my poor head.  Gerard smiles.  You took a load off my mind, too, Grimes assures him.  Gerard offers to shake his hand and says, until then, sir, good day.  Grimes applies sealing wax to the letter, calling to his son.  Jeremy asks, "What is it now, Father?"  I've got something for you to do, says Grimes--I want you to take this note to the village to lawyer Dawson, give it to him personal, even if you have to wake him up--and be quick about it.  Jeremy looks at the letter, then at his father.  Don't give me any trouble, says Mordecai, just do as I say, and be quick about it.  Jeremy slips into his cloak and leaves.

Carrie paces the foyer at Collinwood, thinking, if I go to Mr. Grimes, tell him it was my fault, if I tried to explain how I feel, it might make a difference--yes, I will go!  She grabs her cloak and exits.  Gerard comes from the kitchen area and closes himself in the drawing room.  He goes to the fire and takes out his witch symbol, holding it up.  "You are a very agreeable man, Mr. Grimes," he says--"it's a shame we must sacrifice you so that Quentin Collins may be beheaded --you are alone, at least you think you are--in the corner, a servant appears--the servant of Judah Zachary, the shadow of death, you do not see him yet, but you will--now, Mr. Grimes, turn and you will see him!  He is coming, growing, you cannot get away!

There, before our (and Mordecai's disbelieving eyes, is the shadow cut-out used in the Leviathan storyline.  The warlock! cries Mordecai, standing, trying to escape it.  Gerard's relentless voice warns him, it's coming for you, growing, coming for you--it's on you!  The shadow engulfs Mordecai, who falls to the floor.  His work done, Gerard grins with satisfaction and says, "Quentin Collins will be found guilty."
Carrie knocks at the door of the Grimes house and enters.  Mr. Grimes! she calls.  She finds on him on the floor, barely, breathing with difficulty.  He pulls himself up and tells Carrie, "Quentin Collins did this"--then falls dead to the floor.

NOTES:  I think we can safely say that this latest stunt of Gerard's will not only put the kibosh on Quentin's hopes for freedom, but the budding romance of Carrie and Jeremy, too.

At least now Quentin has an inkling that Gerard isn't the good friend he seems to be.  I have to give Gerard credit for playing the misunderstood best friend very well.

It was fun to watch Jeremy stand up to his father, but he still ended up capitulating and going home him.  When young Jeremy learns that Mordecai named Quentin as the one who did this, it will not bode well for either Carrie or Quentin.

Things look bleak for Quentin, who is impotent in being able to stop what's going on between Daphne and Gerard.  Is he willing, one wonders, to consider that the power Gerard has over Daphne isn't love but witchcraft?

The shadow returns, to me, at least, the cheesiest of all the DS special effects.  It should only engulf and swallow itself--for all time.

Love, Robin