Author Topic: Roush Riff  (Read 2287 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Roush Riff
« on: March 03, 2004, 04:49:11 AM »
TV Guide critic, Matt Roush, who wrote for USA Today when the '91 DS aired, who really enjoyed the show, and who frequently mentioned it in his Friday night highlights column, mentions the WB DS in his latest Roush Riff on the cancellation of Angel. You can check out the full text here. (Scroll down below the Touching Evil review.)

Given that so little is known about what Wells and Curtis' new take on DS will be, I think we're all pretty much in the same boat as Roush at the moment...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:Roush Riff
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 05:25:44 AM »
Did you get the feeling that he's got reservations about the project?  It's not much more than a blurb, and he doesn't say anything substantive about the DS project.....but I got the impression that he's not letting his hopes rise just yet.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 05:40:39 AM »
Well, I'm continuing to remain very optimistic, but I don't think any of us should let our hopes rise too high just yet. Not necessarily because of what the show may turn out to be like, but because there are still a lot of hurdles to cross before we even have a new DS series, much less one that we'll all be able to embrace and enjoy.

That being said, though, I do think the choice of Rob Bowman as director of the pilot is a step in the right direction - I loved his work on the X-Files and I think he did a great job on episodes 9 and 10 of the '91 series.

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 07:32:44 AM »
Well, I'm continuing to remain very optimistic, but I don't think any of us should let our hopes rise too high just yet. Not necessarily because of what the show may turn out to be like, but because there are still a lot of hurdles to cross before we even have a new DS series, much less one that we'll all be able to embrace and enjoy.

That being said, though, I do think the choice of Rob Bowman as director of the pilot is a step in the right direction - I loved his work on the X-Files and I think he did a great job on episodes 9 and 10 of the '91 series.

I second your motion MB!

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 02:41:32 PM »

That's amazing! The X-files used to be one of my favorite shows. Very good directing choice! I just hope they have the sense to cast Barnabas with someone who looks like an adult.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 06:17:47 PM »
While I agree that a 24 year old that looks sixteen would be hard to swallow as Barn, I have been seeking out pictures of the actors that have been mentioned here and there (on the Forums) as candidates for the role of Barn and have decided for myself that a young and extremely good looking actor would be fabulous in the role.

Something else came to mind the other day and it made me realize something about myself as it relates to DS and my prejudicial unwillingness to be accepting of any new DS (as in 1991). I was thinking that the original being taped on video makes it seem so much more intimate. I think the using of film to tape shows makes me feel more removed (less involved).                                                                                                                     

Now that I've figured that out about myself, I know I will be a lot less hard on any new DS that comes down the pike.

dom (Thinking out loud)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 08:07:40 PM »
I think I'm just going to try and forget that this project is in any way related to the original Dark Shadows.

I'll concentrate on hoping for a REALLY well done gothic tale....with an excellent and intelligent script, inspired visual appeal, performers who know their craft, and a director who knows where s/he's going.

If the pilot has those things, it will work for me....and if it doesn't, it won't matter HOW much homage they paid to the original....
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline stefan

• Full Poster
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2004, 02:35:40 PM »
I have been seeking out pictures of the actors that have been mentioned here and there (on the Forums) as candidates for the role of Barn

When I heard Johnny Depp was a DS and Barnabas fan I KNEW he was the only actor I'd like as Barn. Certainly he has talent, charisma and sensitivity to the original show. Also he looks like an adult now though I get the impression, watching 1795, Barnabas was a bit younger than JF when the whole vampire thing happened. Maybe in his late twenties, am I wrong?

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2004, 01:52:01 PM »
I don't think the new Barnabas needs to be a teenager. He can be in his late twenties or early thirties. My plan is to be totally opened minded about the new DS and not expect a continuation of the original.  I just saw Stephen King's 'Kingdon Hospital' on TV and it was very well done. I was surprised because I haven't really liked much of his stuff when it's translated from novel to TV.  How about that anteater? Oh my!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Mark Rainey

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2004, 06:24:16 PM »
I don't think a Barnabas younger than mid-thirties would ever quite sit right with me. So much of the character is his erudite manner and wordliness that no one younger (even if they've lived a couple of centuries) properly exudes. The whole idea of Barnabas having a kid sister has never worked for me, and if I'd had my way, I'd have made her his daughter from a wife (or lover) whose life had ended in some unpleasant fashion, leaving him heartbroken over her loss, all the more devoted to his daughter, and both ecstatic and somewhat guilty over finding a new love in Josette, complicated by his foolish affair with Angelique. To me, such a scenario seems so much more rational and less taxing on the imagination.

--Mark

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2004, 07:55:33 PM »
All I'd ask (if asked) is that the actor be the age of the character, or at least look the age of the character at the time of the character's humanly demise. I am not willing to have my imagination taxed (to borrow Mark's phrase) beyond reasonable expectations. I've got better things to do with my limited down-time.

I agree with Raineypark's thoughts about the show but for different reasons. The last thing I want to do is get involved in another continuing series. I can't stand the thought of feeling chained to a TV show. Add to that, that sci-fi/horror/fantasy is my least favorite television genre. If it weren't DS I wouldn't even give it a shot.

tough customer dom

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2004, 08:35:01 PM »
     I agree with Mark Rainey.  Jonathan Frid was not cast to play a twenty year old.  Ben Cross was also too old to play a twenty year old.  The little sister angle never worked.  If Sarah was a daughter due to an affair,  the age difference would have been explainable.  However,  I am biased since I read a fan fic years ago that was based on the fact that Sarah was Barnabas' daughter.  It made his devotion more believable and his anguish more sorrowful. 
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2004, 12:41:12 AM »
I don't think a Barnabas younger than mid-thirties would ever quite sit right with me.

Unless I'm mistaken, I believe the casting calls for both Barn and Julia are looking for actors in their forties. Though, of course, putting forth misinformation is often a high priority in these situations...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2004, 01:20:17 AM »
If it weren't DS I wouldn't even give it a shot.

Well, as we learned all too well with the '91 DS, each fan has his/her own opinion of what actually constitutes "DS." And as Matt Roush has said, it's impossible to please everyone - something I'm sure the people involved in the WB DS are only all too aware. And frankly I don't think they should even try. The best thing for them to do is to stick to their concept for the remake and sink or swim because of it. Too many shows have fallen into dangerous territory when they've bowed to outside pressure to make themselves this or that. In almost every case, it only ends up hurting the show rather than helping it.

Though it pains me to say so, probably the best thing anyone can do if he/she feels they can't in any way accept the WB DS after they've sampled the series would be to simply ignore it...

Offline scottd

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2004, 05:43:30 AM »
Well, I've been reading a bit about this new Dark Shadows but really haven't though much about it. I'm really not sure how I feel. I did like the first remake series, but I love the original so much that I really can't imagine getting into a new series. The original just has a certain feeling that I really can't even describe! I am willing to have an open mind though, and I will check it out. If nothing else, it will probably cause some to check out the original, which is great. As for it being a WB show, that really doesn't worry me too much either. I would have sworn that there was no way I would get into Buffy The Vampire Slayer until a friend got me to watch it. Shortly after that, I was hooked. I liked Angel too, although I haven't watched the entire run of that series.