Author Topic: OT-General computer help from MB (or any other knowledgeable members)  (Read 5056 times)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re:OT-General computer help from MB (or any other knowledgeable members)
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2003, 08:38:24 PM »

Well, I've been dropping subtle (and a few not so subtle) hints since day one as to who I really am. It's just that recently I've become reckless about it. :D

Who you really are?  Jeez, that sounds ominous.  Are you in the Witness Protection Program?  :-X
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2003, 08:42:37 PM »
Are you in the Witness Protection Program?  :-X

Actually, it's the Webmaster Anonymity Protection Program. [wink2]

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2003, 08:49:28 PM »
Well, I've been dropping subtle (and a few not so subtle) hints since day one as to who I really am. It's just that recently I've become reckless about it. :D

Heh. I've noticed :)
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2003, 06:54:17 AM »

However, if I get 2000, I won't get whatever Word office programs they provide with XP, unless I pay for one of the more expensive versions than they provide with XP.

As far as I understand it, you can get older version of Word Perfect Suite from Corel.  I don't believe that Word or Microsoft Office comes with anything unless it's being bundled by someone.  But frankly, I would think this against the settlement agreement with the Feds.

Further, you can use your old version of Word Perfect with Win 2000 or XP.

I use Win 2000 NT at the law office where I consult and it's pretty good.  Very stable in comparison to Win 98 or 95.  XP is interesting and is certainly better then Win 98 or 95.

But no matter how you slice the bread, it's still a Microsoft product.  (*sigh*)

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2003, 07:17:52 AM »
As far as I understand it, you can get older version of Word Perfect Suite from Corel.  I don't believe that Word or Microsoft Office comes with anything unless it's being bundled by someone.  But frankly, I would think this against the settlement agreement with the Feds.

Further, you can use your old version of Word Perfect with Win 2000 or XP.

It would come with Microsoft Works Suite 2003, which I assume would be most of the regular MS Works.  Since I don't intend to buy it, I figure this would be the best way to get the essential parts of the current program.

If I get the 2000, that wouldn't come with it and it would be necessary to buy one of the other versions, Professional or something.  They do offer the WordPerfect with some systems.  Right now I have WP 8, which I intend to continue using.  WP 11 has recently come out and I've been seeing good things about it, so I may upgrade in the near future after I have the new computer.

The version that would come with the comptuer, I think, would be WP10 and the OEM versions aren't complete.  So, I figure I'd rather get whatever Word I can get from them and do my own WordPerfect.

Thank you, victoriawinters, for your comments about the operating systems.
Josette

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2003, 09:40:23 AM »

It would come with Microsoft Works Suite 2003, which I assume would be most of the regular MS Works.  Since I don't intend to buy it, I figure this would be the best way to get the essential parts of the current program.

I've heard really bad things about Works.  Good thing it's bundled.

Right now I have WP 8, which I intend to continue using.  WP 11 has recently come out and I've been seeing good things about it, so I may upgrade in the near future after I have the new computer.

WP8 is good.  They have that at the client's office too.  They won't upgrade for a good long while because you have to have all the macros rewritten.  I usually upgrade every other version or every third version.

Thank you, victoriawinters, for your comments about the operating systems.

My pleasure.  I'm an avid WordPerfect user from way back.   When you have a formatting problem there is nothing better to find it.  It just performs better IMHO.  Wish I could use a different operating system.  But alas the small business world is semi-stuck there for a good long while I'm afraid and thus I'm stuck as well.  (*sigh*) [bnghd]

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2003, 05:19:20 AM »
I'm an avid WordPerfect user from way back.   When you have a formatting problem there is nothing better to find it.  It just performs better IMHO

Perhaps you'd be interested in the WP forum I've referred to.  It's a wonderful group that provides excellent and friendly help.  There's also the latest news about WP and related things going on with MS and other things that could affect it.  In case you want to check it out, the main page is:

http://www.wpuniverse.com/ and then click on Forums.  You can use it as a guest (although I think you have to register to post other than in the Chit Chat category).  It works pretty much the same as this one, except we have some additional nice features that they can't do.
Josette

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2003, 06:03:52 AM »
Actually, it's the Webmaster Anonymity Protection Program. [wink2]

I'm a card carrying WAPP member.   [peepwall]

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2003, 06:15:32 AM »
I'm a card carrying WAPP member.   [peepwall]

So many of us are. But of course, that bag over your head was definitely a dead giveaway in your case.  [b003]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2003, 03:06:35 AM »
Thanks for posting this topic.  I'm printing it out to study at home.

As I've been in the process of purchasing my own first computer (as commented on in the "librarians" thread in Announcements), so this was timely for me too ... interesting that I've given myself a crash course in the past few weeks, and also would have advised Josette to get Windows XP Professional vs. the "Home" edition, based on what I've heard and read.  And to think I didn't even know what an "operating system" was a month ago!

;D
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2003, 07:09:50 AM »
i'm glad you will be getting a home computer Vlad, then we can see more of you around here.

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2003, 05:56:44 PM »
i'm glad you will be getting a home computer Vlad, then we can see more of you around here.

Vlad...me too....

VW...cool 'moving thing'? (sorry to be soooooo technical!!)

Patti
What a Woman!

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2003, 10:51:13 PM »
Thank you, VictoriaWinters and Patti ... But it remains to be seen just when I'll really have the computer.

I left a message with my previous "Returns" person at Dell saying that I would like to return the computer unless they would send out the product I paid $330 for in the next 24 hours.

I waited around the house all day for a return call (approx. 8 hrs ago), came to the computer lab at school now, checked the online status of the "order" that was promised me 10 days ago (which I should have gotten with the computer two weeks ago) ... and the order has been cancelled.

Nice of the them to let me know and call me back to assist in the return.  You have to have an authorization number to return.

I was going to sweat it out but couldn't deal with the hassle, delays, misshipments, and lies any longer (as I said in my voicemail message).

According to the PC World mag I mentioned elsewhere, 1 in 4 Dell notebooks require repair within one year -- but nearly 1 in 2 Compaq's do ... so that's why I thought I'd stick with Dell as long as I could.

The bastards.
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Patti Feinberg

• DSF God
    • View Profile
This is new...
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2003, 02:47:17 AM »
I bought Dell...nice commercials..huh...too bad there's a BIG stamp on bottom, "Made in China" and when I called their tech #, I asked the woman where she was, India... so I guess Dell only has 1 need for Americans >:(

I had talked >:( about this alot with my boss (who at home is a 'business' user).

He mentioned to me the that the other week, he received a letter from Dell stating that due to business customer's requests, the help line would now be in the United States!!!!!

(D is for Dell and DUH!!!)

Patti, who will NOT buy another Dell
What a Woman!

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2003, 04:49:43 AM »
Apparently almost everything is being sent overseas these days.  CNN recently had a series of reports about the situation.  I recently had a customer who brought me something to type that he needed for the next day.  He had been at Kinko's and it was beyond the time they had promised it to him.  They kept saying that they'd have it shortly - and told him the worker was in India!!  He didn't believe it, but from what I've heard, I'm sure it's true.
Josette