Author Topic: New Omen Thriller Damien  (Read 661 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
New Omen Thriller Damien
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:24:21 PM »

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: New Omen Thriller Damien
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 12:24:26 AM »
Bradley "Bradders" James plays the lead role in DAMIEN and attracted quite the cult following on the MERLIN series (which I think aired on the Sci Fi network in the US?). 

According to the NYT review, the first episode of DAMIEN makes heavy use of clips from the original movie.  Barbara Hershey plays a role that sounds as if it is based on the "Apostate of Satan" character so memorably played by the great Billie Whitelaw in the movie.

The NYT critic wasn't impressed but sounded as if this kind of thing just wasn't what they're used to watching.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 03:09:25 AM »
The NYT critic wasn't impressed but sounded as if this kind of thing just wasn't what they're used to watching.

For what it's worth, so far 62.2% of tvline.com readers have rated the show Awesome/Very good.

I haven't gotten around to watching it yet - but I hope to later tonight...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 11:44:26 PM »
I did indeed watch the pilot last night and I thought the show has quite a bit of potential. I definitely liked how a lot of the elements of The Omen were present, and by that I don't just mean the flashbacks to the film itself, but the score, the guardian dogs (though they do give Rottweilers a bad name when the ones I've met have never been anything but friendly), and, of course, the characters who get wiped out because either they know too much or want to know too much. There's nothing like a good inventive death scene - and The Omen films have had many, and the pilot certainly had one.

I suspect, though, that if someone didn't like The Omen or if they haven't seen it, chances are that's why they didn't necessarily like the pilot. The pilot does rely heavily on things that happened in the first film - and even though there are flashbacks, they don't completely flesh out the mythology. But then, maybe they've done that on purpose so that they can further explore things as the series progresses. All I know is that I will be checking out more eps to see how things progress...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2016, 10:13:19 PM »