Author Topic: What happened to Willie's "fiance"?  (Read 7836 times)

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Willie's "fiance"?
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2008, 06:58:35 PM »
Well, IF we want to go that route, then everything that we supposedly learned in 1970 was the byproduct of severely faulty memories or outright fantasies. See. All explained away.  [b003]

So you are seriously trying to say that, if everyone has hallucinating for approximately 50 consecutive episodes, then everything is explained. OK, fine.. 

I was referring to the possible lack of integrity of historical "facts", which seems the slightest bit more plausible.
"I am the law sir ... I have one and only one warning for you-- STAND ASIDE"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2008, 07:09:14 PM »
Well, IF we want to go that route, then everything that we supposedly learned in 1970 was the byproduct of severely faulty memories or outright fantasies. See. All explained away.

So you are seriously trying to say that, if everyone has hallucinating for approximately 50 consecutive episodes, then everything is explained. OK, fine.. 

I was referring to the possible lack of integrity of historical "facts", which seems the slightest bit more plausible.

I'm not seriously trying to say anything (hence the winks). And I didn't take your original remark seriously either because I assumed you were joking. For one, there's the huge discrepancy when it comes to Jeremiah's age. That requires something far more serious than flawed memories - it would require people to have been delusional!  [ghost_wink]

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2008, 07:12:33 PM »
For one, there's the huge discrepancy when it comes to Jeremiah's age. That requires something far more serious than flawed memories - it would require people to have been delusional!  [ghost_wink]

There are plenty of examples in historical documents where the age of particular person was way off. For all we know Daniel had a son born in 1804 named Jeremiah, who died in 1839 or something, and the subsequent mistakes were made because of the existence of two Jeremiah's.
This all happened 175 years ago for Barnabas, so the hazyness of his memory and the flaws with historical documents seem to be the slightest bit more reasonable than a mass delusion of the people at Collinwood in 1970.

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2008, 07:24:09 PM »
FYI, I'm just giving you a hard time MB  [ghost_wink]. I hope you don't conclude I'm just an argumentative jerk and hate me from now on  [ghost_embarrassed]

(by the way, arguing with the master of dartmoor, like everything else, is most likely punishable by the death penalty)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2008, 07:28:32 PM »
Well, it's hard to imagine that a different Jeremiah would have been confused with the Jeremiah who was an old man, a man much older than Barnabas, when he marriied Josette.

And I wasn't even jokingly suggesting the people of 1970 Collinwood would have had to have been delusional - they were simply suffering from the faulty memories you suggested for the people of 1795/96 and subsequent generations who passed those faulty stories/legends down. I was, however, pointing out that anyone who believed the Jeremiah who mariied Josette was much older than Barnabas would have had to have been delusional when in truth Barnabas and Jeremiah were the same age.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2008, 07:30:06 PM »
FYI, I'm just giving you a hard time MB  [ghost_wink]. I hope you don't conclude I'm just an argumentative jerk and hate me from now on  [ghost_embarrassed]

Not at all.  [ghost_smiley]

(by the way, arguing with the master of dartmoor, like everything else, is most likely punishable by the death penalty)

(Well, he'd have to catch me first - and I'm a wily one.  [ghost_cheesy])

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2008, 07:33:40 PM »
Well, it's hard to imagine that a different Jeremiah would have been confused with the Jeremiah who was an old man, a man much older than Barnabas, when he marriied Josette.

And I wasn't even jokingly suggesting the people of 1970 Collinwood would have had to have been delusional - they were simply suffering from the faulty memories you suggested for the people of 1795/96 and subsequent generations who passed those faulty stories/legends down.

I was, however, pointing out that anyone who believed the Jeremiah who mariied Josette was much older than Barnabas would have had to have been delusional when in truth Barnabas and Jeremiah were the same age.

The second thing you said--- Like I said before, very little historical (from 1840/1) facts were mentioned in 1970. So, you mean faulty memories of things that occurred in the present time? I was talking about B forgetting something that happened 175 years ago/the history book had misprints in it. You are talking about people forgetting things that just happened to them? k....

The third thing you said--- I'm saying this could have due to a misprint in the history book or something. Like he was really born in 1765, but the book, for some reason said 1745. Or, for some reason, the book was intentionally transcribed incorrectly (as we know this happens frequently).

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2008, 07:44:51 PM »
When it comes to Jeremiah, we're not strictly talking dates - we're talking about intimate descriptions of his life.  [ghost_wink]

Maybe we should simply agree to disagree because this exchange in going in circles - and that's never a good thing...

Offline Garth Blackwood

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2008, 07:47:07 PM »
Thats fine because if you honestly believe that the holes in the 1840 storyline are equal in magnitude to those with the 1795 storyline then there is beyond no point in talking about it

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2008, 07:51:31 PM »
That's not quite the points I was trying to get across - but we'll leave it at that.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline GooberCollins

• Full Poster
  • HOWDY
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2008, 03:45:14 AM »
The way I see it, Dark Shadows' timeline is a living thing, constantly changing. Practically everyone altered it or was affected by someone else's alterations at some point, and occasionally the future changed, and occasionally it didn't. [spoiler]Barnabas didn't remember Vicki taking Phyllis Wick's place in the past, and yet they managed to sort out all the messes Gerard caused in 1970 by their fiddling with 1840 (fiddling so extensive that it would probably have caused Quentin to never have been born, or at least been a totally different person, due to the deaths of Gabriel and Edith, as they didn't have any grandchildren when they died, and Edward mentioned "Grandfather always favoring Quentin," which makes no sense to start with, as Gabriel hated the first Quentin and likely would have hated his namesake... headasplody!. Also, since the Leviathans prevented Barnabas from making it back to his coffin at the end of 1897, Willie never would have been able to find him in 1967, rendering the entire series from the introduction of Barnabas to the end null and void.[/spoiler]
A growing collection of humorous DS videos. Last updated 11-3-08

Did a large procession wave their torches as my head fell in the basket,
And was everybody dancing on the casket?

Note: I will not respond to private messages.

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2008, 10:00:02 AM »
The way I see it, Dark Shadows' timeline is a living thing, constantly changing.
If only Dark Shadows had lasted a little while longer, we could have had a storyline about the Dark Shadows timeline finally getting fed up with all the shenanigans it had been put through, and threatening to kill off the whole Collins family if Barnabas and Julia didn't just leave it alone!

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2008, 10:42:22 AM »
Imagine someone trying to explain that one to Roger!
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #58 on: August 25, 2008, 03:14:24 AM »
LMAO!! OH Magnus how I love your wit as I have said many times before. LOL [ghost_tongue2]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #59 on: August 25, 2008, 04:21:10 AM »
LMAO!! OH Magnus how I love your wit as I have said many times before. LOL [ghost_tongue2]

Very encouraging to hear on a bleak night, thanks!

"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor