Author Topic: Discuss - Ep #0682  (Read 924 times)

Watching Project

Discuss - Ep #0682
« on: April 16, 2014, 04:52:24 PM »
Robservations #682

And if you'd care to look back, the first WP discussion topic for this ep:
Re: Discuss - Ep #0682

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 07:51:05 PM »
Thayer David reads the rather long opening voiceover.

Maggie tells Mrs. J. that she saw the same man in the West Wing that Mrs. J. saw in the cottage. They have a bonding experience.

Mr. Jughans and Quentin stand in the storage room, equally silent and immobile. Evidently the ghost can hear Maggie and Mrs. Johnson’s conversation, because he has a faint, crooked smile on his face; Mr. Jughans exhibits no reaction.

Evidently Mrs. J now sleeps at Collinwood. Long ago, she declared she never would.

Quentin sends Maggie a very nasty dream. She's in the storage room with Mr. Jughans, who morphs into Quentin. He calmly and deliberately strangles her--the punishment, I guess, for her having shared her story with Mrs. J. Quentin rather inefficiently wraps the scarf around the back of Maggie's neck and strangles her from the front, but if he had grabbed her properly from behind she would have missed the dummy’s transformation and Quentin’s evil smile, I suppose.

The next morning, Barnabas is wearing the strange brown suit again as Maggie tells him about her dream. She guesses it was a warning to leave Collinwood. After a moment’s silence, Maggie realizes, You think it was only a dream, don’t you? What do you think it was? Barnabas asks like any good psychologist. [Maybe he’s learned a thing or two from the thoroughly modern Julia in spite of himself!] Then he tells her that both he and Julia saw a woman in 19th-century clothes (we know it was Beth), who led them to Chris. Now conspirators, Barnabas and Maggie form a plan. She's to watch the kids as usual but not let on that she and Barnabas know anything. He'll invite Professor Stokes over and get advice from him. Maggie tells him fervently, I’m so grateful you believe me, that Mrs. Johnson and I aren't alone in this. I'll do whatever I can to help you, Barnabas promises. He sends her off to look after the children, his altruism in full flower, but his face full of concern.

Stokes arrives promptly at 7:00 and suggests they hold a séance to contact his friend Janet Findley.

Mrs. Johnson is relieved when Maggie tells her that the children have gone to Bangor with Elizabeth and Carolyn. [Even though Quentin forbade them ever to leave the house? Maybe they promised to come back as soon as they could. Or maybe he just gave them an evening off.]

Mrs. J. is extremely unhappy about being roped into the séance. As Stokes calls on the spirit of Madam Findley to appear to them, the camera pans out to the foyer so that we can see the door to the upstairs hallway open by itself. The camera tracks Madam Findley’s invisible passage down the stairs where she fell to her death, and into the drawing room. She possesses Mrs. Johnson, who moans as she goes into a trance. Why did you call me? she asks as if from a great distance. Are you Janet Findley? Stokes asks. Yes, she replies. What happened? he asks. The children, she murmurs to everyone else’s amazement. The panel... the room.... she murmurs. Stokes rather impatiently asks her to be more specific, but she continues with aggravating vagueness, I found that room... I waited there for something to happen... and then... and then.... And then what? Stokes demands. He and everyone else wait in rapt suspense. He killed me! He killed me! Mrs. Johnson cries, then collapses onto the table....

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 08:45:48 PM »
I like Maggie's matter-of-fact way of approaching and questioning Quentin in the dream-- it made it seem like a different reality.  So Quentin's a strangler...  This was led up to nicely and slowly.  Good for Maggie, going to Barnabas about all this.  Seance... I wonder if Magda and Madame Findlay hang out now.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:49:32 PM »
They could hang out with Josette!  [easter_grin]

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 08:13:40 PM »
Mrs. Johnson is relieved when Maggie tells her that the children have gone to Bangor with Elizabeth and Carolyn. [Even though Quentin forbade them ever to leave the house? Maybe they promised to come back as soon as they could. Or maybe he just gave them an evening off.]

Actually, the real reason is that for once, Quentin has other things on his mind than bending the children to his will. The next two episodes will make this clearer.

Offline Roland

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 07:47:33 AM »
Apparently, Mrs. Johnson didn't read the fine print on her employee contract when she signed up for duty at the Collinwood mansion: namely, the clause stipulating that she was to be a handy fourth at any seance deemed necessary for the eradicating of disgruntled spirits. Barnabas quickly sets her straight on that score.

It's also jolting to remember that the wise and kindly Barnabas we see here once kidnapped Maggie, held her against her will and was more than willing to dispose of her when things got just a little too hot for him to handle.