Author Topic: The Futon Critic Speculates...  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The Futon Critic Speculates...
« on: April 23, 2004, 11:52:05 PM »
Check it out here: Needs, Wants and Haves: The WB.

(Though it probably should be pointed out that the predictions for this past WB season were, well, let's just say they weren't exactly accurate and leave it at that...)

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
Re:The Futon Critic Speculates...
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2004, 03:30:25 PM »
Uh..I followed the link but find nothing about Dark Shadows listed. Can you be more specific? I'm PC challenged sometimes and can't find my way around.
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2004, 03:40:35 PM »
There isn't an article specifically about DS there, Miss Winthrop.....but the main article (that whole grey center part) is about where in the WB's schedule certain shows or "types" of shows might fit.

The Futon Critic seems to see the spot "Angel" currently airs as the most likely place for the new DS...should it actually make it onto the schedule.

More fuel for the bonfire the "Angel" fans seem to be building.... ::)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2004, 10:20:15 AM »
Well, one thing that the futon critic speculated has turned out to be right: the WB just renewed "One Tree Hill" for next season. So, that pickup would seem to leave slots open for only two new hour long shows - yet the WB has greenlit six hour pilots. That's not very good odds for some shows...
(Although, for what it's worth (and it wasn't worth much last season because he got practically everything wrong) the futon critic seems to think DS' only competition is from the Lost In Space pilot, with all the other hour shows battling it out for the other slot.)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2004, 04:28:08 PM »
I think it would be very unfortunate if it came down between Dark Shadows and L.I.S for the last slot. Both shows have hugh fan bases and it will be viewers who suffer if one of the shows does not make it to air. I mean I have had enough of the reality programming. It will be an interesting decision for the WB. I am pretty sure that the WB is aware of how much DS pilot has been publicized in the media and the strong buzz that has created. However, the WB paid tons of money when they outbidded all of the other networks for L.I.S. and will have to pay the studio a substantial penalty if said show does not make it to series. Hopefully both shows will air.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2004, 05:07:20 PM »
With the Angel fans already up in arms, a new DS surely doesn't need the LIS fans ticked off at it too.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2004, 05:12:02 PM »
Would a studio bother to express interest in a show if they didn't think there was room somewhere in their schedule to fit it?
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2004, 07:03:41 PM »
Would a studio bother to express interest in a show if they didn't think there was room somewhere in their schedule to fit it?

Well, the network is certainly interested at the time they greenlight the show to do a pilot. But every year hundreds of pilots are made whose series never see the light of day. That's simply a fact of the TV business. And either the DS or Lost In Space pilot - or even both - *could* oh, so easily join the ranks of those shows that never made it, despite all the hype that surrounded them...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2004, 07:18:20 PM »
With the Angel fans already up in arms

Speaking of Angel, I continue to read rumors about the WB having already cut a deal to do Angel made-for-TV movies next season. There was a report on Sci-Fi Wire yesterday - and the lastest report from the FilmForce site certainly has an, uh, interesting take:

"... The network has announced plans for up to 6 Angel TV movies for next season, possibly to hedge their bets should Dark Shadows not prove to be the success the network hopes it will be. ..."

However, IF the WB has actually "announced" such a deal, I've yet to see it reported in Variety. And one would suspect it would have been reported in the trades at least simultaneously with reports on the Internet - not exclusively on the Internet...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2004, 07:34:28 PM »
If this report has the same degree of accuracy as the reports of the "Sex and the City" TV movies, then all you "Angel" fans had better be waving goodbye when the last episode airs.
Dylan Thomas

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2004, 12:56:54 AM »
 ???i've said this before on another thread,but even though i don't watch the wb,it doesn't seem to me that they have so many "hits" that they can't find room on thier schedule for more than two new shows.especially when a show like d.s. already has a loyal fanbase and signifigant name recognition.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2004, 01:21:23 AM »
it doesn't seem to me that they have so many "hits" that they can't find room on thier schedule for more than two new shows

It's not so much that they don't have room for more than two shows - it's two hour long shows. They have other slots open, but they're supposedly slated to be filled by 30 minute sitcoms.  ;)

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2004, 07:57:18 AM »
Well, in next week's TV Guide, which arrived in the mail this morning, there's an article that lists "some of the projects that have the best shot of making it to prime time."  It lists one show per network, and the show for the WB is "Jack and Bobby."  No mention of DS or LIS either one.  What does everybody here make of that?  Eek!  Does this mean something or is it just one person's opinion (author is listed as Stephen Battaglio) and nothing more?  Moan. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2004, 08:19:14 AM »
and the show for the WB is "Jack and Bobby."  No mention of DS or LIS either one.  What does everybody here make of that?

Well, it's not a stretch for anyone to assume that a show like "Jack and Bobby" might make the WB's fall schedule because it's the type of show the WB is known for doing. Also, that pilot finished shooting a few weeks ago, so the "buzz" has probably already started on it. But at the same time, last year many "experts" were certain that the "Gilmore Girls" spin-off was a sure bet for the fall season, however, when the schedule was announced, it was nowhere to be seen - not even as a mid-season replacement show.

As I said in the WB ORDERS FILMING OF NEW DS PILOT thread, it's fun to speculate what might happen and to read what the so-called experts are saying. But it's best not to put too much stock in what anyone is saying because the "experts" are often dead wrong (just look no further than what the Futon Critic predicted last year for this season on the WB  :o).

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2004, 02:45:01 PM »
Well, in next week's TV Guide, which arrived in the mail this morning, there's an article that lists "some of the projects that have the best shot of making it to prime time."  It lists one show per network, and the show for the WB is "Jack and Bobby."  No mention of DS or LIS either one.  What does everybody here make of that?  Eek!  Does this mean something or is it just one person's opinion (author is listed as Stephen Battaglio) and nothing more?  Moan.

Mary I agree with MB  that it is impossible to predict which pilots the WB will place on its fall schedule. This Battaglio writer is just one critic out of the hundreds out there. In my opinion this critic simply played it safe and picked a show that would not be considered a controversial one. I do believe that the WB will add DS to its fall schedule.