Author Topic: Here's some news on KLS and her latest activities  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Charles_Ellis

• Senior Poster
  • Barnabas & Julia Forever!!!
    • View Profile
Here's some news on KLS and her latest activities
« on: May 01, 2008, 10:38:11 PM »
I just found this news item- thought you would all be interested:

http://www.mediabistro.com/fishbowlny/lunch/lunch_moguls_mavens_and_a_vampire_primer_83683.asp

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Re: Here's some news on KLS and her latest activities
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 10:42:33 PM »
Hmmm--did the author of this piece time-travel back to 2006?  It mentions KLS working on a new project "timed to coincide with DS' 40th anniversary."

Thanks for sharing the link, though--and hope your convalescence is going smoothly!

G.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 11:00:11 PM »
jimbo had already posted a link to this article last night in the Depp/DS movie topic (because it mentions how KLS sent Depp copies of her books).  [ghost_wink]  However, it's probably a good idea that there's a different topic to discuss aspects of the article that don't relate to the movie because then the movie's topic won't go too OT.  [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 11:08:05 PM »
Hmmm--did the author of this piece time-travel back to 2006?  It mentions KLS working on a new project "timed to coincide with DS' 40th anniversary."

That is an odd bit. But I suspect KLS may have been going to do recordings for the upcoming DS Reborn releases, and she mentioned that the original releases came out to coincide with DS' 40th, but the author got it all confused. Imagine, an author writing a piece on DS getting facts confused - how often does THAT happen?  [ghost_rolleyes]

David

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 11:46:29 PM »
 [ghost_smiley]

I wonder if Depp got all excited when KLS walked onto the 21 Jump Street set?

David

Offline DSReborn

• Junior Poster
  • Dark Shadows from Big Finish Productions
    • View Profile
    • Big Finish Productions: Dark Shadows Reborn
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 12:14:10 AM »
That is an odd bit. But I suspect KLS may have been going to do recordings for the upcoming DS Reborn releases, and she mentioned that the original releases came out to coincide with DS' 40th...

Yes, Big Finish are doing some recording with Kathryn while she's in London.  It's due to happen in a couple of weeks from now, and we'll announce further information once it's completed.
Dark Shadows Reborn: Official Audio Dramas from Big Finish Productions | http://www.darkshadowsreborn.com

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 06:26:30 AM »
Oh looky, her 21 Jump Street ep is on YouTube...

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Depp has a brief scene on the show's set at the start, then disappears.  All of KLS' scenes (she appears in all 5 parts) were filmed on location.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 07:48:10 AM »
Oh looky, her 21 Jump Street ep is on YouTube...

'80s hair!  [shkdb]  '80s computers!!  [eek]  But at least the women weren't wearing linebacker shoulder pads.  [lghb]  (Though it seemed like a fairly daring storyline for the time and the time period 21 Jump Street originally ran. But then, maybe FOX was far more progressive than I remember.)

However, given Depp's barely there appearance in the ep, it doesn't seem like he and KLS would have spent all that much time together - especially when, as was already pointed out, he worked in the studio and KLS worked on location. Although, maybe he stalked her on his own time and at his own expense and/or caught as much of her downtime between scenes as he possibly could.  [lghy]  Only Depp and KLS know for sure...

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 01:37:29 PM »
Ah, I was going to come back to answer this and see it's already been done!  I vaguely remembered KLS being on Jump Street, so I checked out her IMDb page and saw that her episode was called Change of Heart.  Since I have the DVDs, I checked out the ep last night.  I didn't know it was on YouTube  [ghost_smiley] 

Anyway, the episode was from Season 4 (aired in Jan. of 1990, I think IMDb said), and Johnny was on his way off of the show by that time.  He'd actually been trying to break his contract for a couple of years and they finally let him go, and by season 4 he was only in about half the episodes.  In some of them, like this one, he would only appear briefly in the "precinct." IMDb didn't even list Johnny as being in this episode at all, and when I mentioned the episode title to other Depp fans yesterday, nobody recalled it  very clearly offhand.  We wondered how KLS and Johnny would ever have interacted if he wasn't in the ep (or only in one scene).  But some guessed that perhaps she visited the set in preparation for doing her ep, or perhaps the show shot scenes from more than one ep simultaneously.  Or maybe they even did some promos together for the show.  Who knows?

Either way, I think it's so cool that they got to cross paths all these years later, and it was so gracious of her to send him her books! 

Cathy

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 01:45:46 PM »
By the way, I agree that it was a daring topic for the time.  But that was a key aspect of the show at that time- corny as the show was, it would address things like child abuse, AIDS, gang wars, teen pregnancy, and drugs.  Fox was a new network at the time, and I remember it trying to be very cutting edge.  KLS was great in this!!

Cathy

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008, 04:42:38 PM »
That is an odd bit. But I suspect KLS may have been going to do recordings for the upcoming DS Reborn releases, and she mentioned that the original releases came out to coincide with DS' 40th, but the author got it all confused. Imagine, an author writing a piece on DS getting facts confused - how often does THAT happen?  [ghost_rolleyes]

Well, the writer has KLS recording for Big Picture rather than Big Finish.  Maybe Clehane was too busy scanning the room for the purpose of name-dropping to pay much attention to what her friend was saying?  [ghost_wink]

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 05:05:31 PM »
Well, the writer has KLS recording for Big Picture rather than Big Finish.  Maybe Clehane was too busy scanning the room for the purpose of name-dropping to pay much attention to what her friend was saying?  [ghost_wink]

LOL - love it! [ghost_grin]
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008, 09:58:34 PM »
I've never seen an episode of 21 Jump Street until I took a glance at some of those youtube links.  Holyfreeholy was that ever bad!  Bad acting (except for TLATKLS, of course), bad writing.  But then I've never seen Melrose Place or Beverly Hills 90574839473, either.  Those things just weren't my cup of tea.

Gerard