Author Topic: BREAKING NEWS! Longer Japanese Version of HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS CONFIRMED!  (Read 1412 times)

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm delighted to report that after a few months of research into the submission status of HOUSE OF DARK SHADOWS, in regards to its submitted and released length as approved by the Japanese censor bureau.

Contacts at the PR firm that handled HODS in Japan when it was released in March 1971, have confirmed that the Japanese version WAS INDEED A LONGER VERSION THAN THE US one. It's length in Japan was at least 4 mins longer, running 101mins. The only prints that currently exist run just under 97 mins.

There are conflicting reports on the contents of the longer version, which have been reported over the years, but the most likely case is that this version would include the 'David hanging' sequence, which encompasses several new scenes added to the beginning of the film, which offers a new introduction scene to virtually all the main characters in the cast. Unfortunately, Japanese sources could not confirm the scenes exclusive to the Japanese release.

I've started the ball rolling and have begun further research into the Japanese release, which will include inquiries into Japanese studio film element holdings and discussions with underground Asian film collectors.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Wow. This is great news. It's not exactly a secret that I'm not the biggest fan of hoDS, but it would be quite nice if we could at least see characters like Maggie, Roger and Liz introduced the way they should have been.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Yay!  I'm thrilled, Darren.  Congratulations are in order too.

(Yay!!!)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
This is wonderful news, Darren!  :D Thanks so much for all of your hard work in tracking down the information!

ProfStokes

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Wonderful news, but practically, what does it mean?  Is there a chance that we'll eventually get a full U.S. version?

Josette

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Josette: Yes, if further research is successful.

Plus: Expanding the odds- I just found out there's a very strong possibility that the version released in Hong Kong was also the longer cut, though this has yet to be fully confirmed.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
What a thrill!!! My heartiest congratulations to you, Darren.  I know you've been working on this one for years.

Steve

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
Congrats Darren.  I know you have been working on this a long, long time.
Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Josette

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Josette: Yes, if further research is successful.

Plus: Expanding the odds- I just found out there's a very strong possibility that the version released in Hong Kong was also the longer cut, though this has yet to be fully confirmed.

That's good to know and the extra bit of information sounds even better!!  :) :)
Josette

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Looks like Saturday at the Tarrytown Fest will be pretty busy as well..

My panel's scheduled for 3PM, with the cast reunion to follow. Sometime Saturday will be Nancy Barrett's cabaret also...

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
This is exciting news! Thank you so much Darren for all your hard work and all the other people who are trying to put this thing together for us.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline John_in_NC

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
This is great news Darren!  I am looking forward to your presentation at the DS Weekend.
John in SC