Author Topic: The September 18th Episodes  (Read 797 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The September 18th Episodes
« on: September 18, 2005, 09:38:13 PM »
How wild is it that 1967's Ep #321, 1968's Ep #583, and 1970's Ep #1105 all feature Willie trying to save Maggie from some sort of danger? If not for the facts that 1969's Ep #844 took place in 1897 and John Karlen was off on one of his excursions to find stardom in LA, one has to wonder if Willie might not have been trying to save Maggie in 1969 too.  [wink2]

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: The September 18th Episodes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2005, 10:49:57 PM »
Willie's devotion to Maggie was "as constant as the Northern Star.....constantly in the darkness" as Joni Mitchel once wrote.  It's one of my pet peeves that they didn't either let Maggie return the affection at some point, or let him fall in love with someone else.  Karlen's willingness to play Willie's emotional state without constraint or hesitation gave that character his soul.  He should have been allowed the chance to portray Willie in love, happy, even joyful, for a change.  It would have been fascinating.
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline AndreDuPres

• Full Poster
  • I don't know, Barnabas. I just don't know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2005, 01:00:39 AM »
Willie's devotion to Maggie was "as constant as the Northern Star.....constantly in the darkness" as Joni Mitchel once wrote.  It's one of my pet peeves that they didn't either let Maggie return the affection at some point, or let him fall in love with someone else.  Karlen's willingness to play Willie's emotional state without constraint or hesitation gave that character his soul.  He should have been allowed the chance to portray Willie in love, happy, even joyful, for a change.  It would have been fascinating.
Since when is anyone ever really happy on this show?   ;)  The viewer's given an episode or two of love and contentment, but something inevitabley happens to disrupt things.  I, too, wish Willie had been given more romance, and I wish he had ended up with Maggie, but alas...

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 02:25:38 AM »
It's one of my pet peeves that they didn't either let Maggie return the affection at some point, or let him fall in love with someone else. ... He should have been allowed the chance to portray Willie in love, happy, even joyful, for a change.  It would have been fascinating.

Ah, but he did-- he fell in love with the unseen Roxanne.  And there's a sweet scene between Maggie and him in which he discovers that he's over her.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 03:33:33 AM »
On your TV screen it was "sweet".

On mine, it was "heartbreaking".
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas