Author Topic: How Come None Of The 91 Stars Come???  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Evan Hanley

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
How Come None Of The 91 Stars Come???
« on: June 02, 2007, 04:19:12 AM »
Just curious how come jim never invites any of the 91 stars to the fest. I know they had been invited to the fests in the early 90s. But i think it would be kool if ben cross showed his face again. Just my opinion.
Evan Hanley

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
Re: How Come None Of The 91 Stars Come???
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2007, 05:08:49 AM »
Myself I'd like to meet Lysette Anthony.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2007, 07:14:02 PM »
That's a good question. I'm not so into the revival series, but why they don't show is an interesting question -
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2007, 07:39:36 PM »
There's a perception in fandom that no one cares about the '91 series. Though that is most definitely not the case. For one, both Midnite and I are huge fans of the show (one of my most prized DS possessions is an autographed picture of Barbara Steele). And for another, many members of the forum have posted similar devotion.

It might be true that there are more DS fans who are devoted to the original. But just like how there have been more and more NoDS fans coming out of the closet in the past several years, there are many more fans of the '91 series than some may realize.

As to why the '91 stars are no longer appearing at the Fests, probably only Jim Pierson knows. There are certainly more than a few that I would jump at the chance to meet! Not that I don't still enjoy seeing the original stars when I encounter them at Fests, but with them it's more of a case of been there, done that. But it definitely wouldn't be that way with the '91 stars...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2007, 11:09:34 PM »
I had my problems with the reviival series; I guess I've made that know here.  From the lack of sublety as found in the original, to palm trees obvious and apparent in the background, many things gourded on me.  But it was still an attempt to bring an updated DS to millions of fans and was successful in its endeavors.  Would I like to see its actors and actresses at a festival?  You bet your boots.  (Or, as my late dad would've said, You betcha boots.)  To see an actress as renowned as Jean Simmons would've set my heart afire.

Gerard

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2007, 06:29:17 AM »
Jean Simmons? You mean that guy from Kizz with the really long tougne was in the 91 DS?! Rockin!

Haha. Gotcha didn't I?
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2007, 03:15:35 PM »
Jean Simmons? You mean that guy from Kizz with the really long tougne was in the 91 DS?! Rockin!
Haha. Gotcha didn't I?

Not too far from what once actually did happen!  On some old DS message board or newsgroup somewhere, I was once typing in a hurry and "Jean" turned into "Gene."  Well, several posters, not familiar with the revival series, took it literally and before you knew it, it had taken on a life of its own with people excitedly talking about how "the guy from KISS" was on the '91 version and how they had wished they had seen it.  It took quite a few posts to clean that mess up.

Gerard

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2007, 04:40:23 PM »
Haha! That's hilarious Gerard!

But in all seriousness, I'd love to see some of the '91 stars. Even though I've never seen the series, I plan to get a copy of it and watch it, and it would sure be a treat to see or hear what it was like for the actors to step into roles originated by others, and just how they approached their performances.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

David

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2007, 05:49:34 PM »
Barbara Steele did show up at the Vista Theatre
Halloween party last year.
After all her years working for a producer for DCP, I'll bet she'd come more often if asked.

The actress who played Caroln in '91, Barbara Blackburn, now lives in Hoboken NJ, or at least she did when I lived there from '99-'03.
I used to see her on Washington Blvd, the town's main drag, and at the train station, where she was headed to nearby NYC.
She was doing a lot of NYC theatre at the time.

David

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2007, 06:04:16 PM »
The actress who played Caroln in '91, Barbara Blackburn, now lives in Hoboken NJ, or at least she did when I lived there from '99-'03.
I used to see her on Washington Blvd, the town's main drag, and at the train station, where she was headed to nearby NYC.

Lucky you! I enjoyed much of her work as Carolyn on the show, and I would love to meet her.

David

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2007, 06:19:10 PM »
 ;)
And  I never said a word to her, MB.

I think I've gotten a bit too old to run up to actors on the street!

David

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 12:48:11 AM »
But you're never too old to walk up to someone and say "Aren't you so-and-so? I really enjoy your work!" She probably would have been flattered.

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2007, 04:26:27 AM »
I attended only one DS fest, in 1993.  I remember that Roy Thinnes was there, and he worked his way down the autograph line and he gave much time to the fans in line.  I did not get to meet him personnaly, but my observation was that he was a charming and warm person, and he welcomed and thanked DS fans for their interest.  (This was after his appearnces in 1992 on One Life to Live as Sloan Carpenter, a character I enjoyed much more than his turn as Roger Collins.  By all accounts, Mr Thinnes is a gentleman who appreciates his viewing audience.)

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 04:55:23 AM »
I attended only one DS fest, in 1993.  I remember that Roy Thinnes was there,

Oh I AM jealous! I remember the Sloan Carpenter character well--I loved to hate him for coming between Vicki and Clint! He is such a good actor with such a screen presence, and it came through much more on OLTL than on the 91 DS. Still, he did a fabulous job in both.
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 11:10:02 PM »
Barbara Steele was briefly at the 1995 NY convention.

Roy Thinnes also played Alex Crown on One Life to Life, who also was interested in Vicky.