Author Topic: Today's Shows  (!)  (Read 2955 times)

Connie

Today's Shows  (!)
« on: December 21, 2002, 03:03:03 AM »
Well, if nobody's gonna talk about how great Selby's performances were in today's shows, I may be forced to regale you with a blow-by-blow description of my son's birth, nine years ago today!  (Which took place in the bathroom - a few short feet from where I sit at this very moment)  ROFL

If you ask me, today was a virtual Quentin extravaganza.  He was in just about every scene!  Ah....
I thought his portrayal of a terrified, cowardly Quentin was absolutely breathtaking!!

-CLC

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Re: Today's Shows  (!)
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2002, 03:20:27 AM »
You know, I wondered about that!!!  

Was it really their intention for Quentin to come across as a snivelling, whimpering coward?  I thought it was completely out of character (tho brilliantly portrayed, for certain!)

I'm sure David Selby had a ball doing these scenes (as John Karlen surely enjoyed similar ones as Willie!) but it didn't seem to ring true.  I would have expected Quentin to be terrified but bravura, refusing to let anyone know he was afraid of something so "ridiculous" as a Gypsy curse.....;)

raineypark
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2002, 11:40:54 AM »
I may be forced to regale you with a blow-by-blow description of my son's birth, nine years ago today!  (Which took place in the bathroom - a few short feet from where I sit at this very moment)  ROFL

Connie, You are kiddin, aren't you?

If you ask me, today was a virtual Quentin extravaganza.  He was in just about every scene!  Ah....
I thought his portrayal of a terrified, cowardly Quentin was absolutely breathtaking!!

I thought so too![thumb]

I was a bit suprised though to see him so terrified over as what Edward described as "mumbo jumbo curses!"  But I do think the reason for him being so frightened has alot to do with his involvement in the occult.  Because of his involvement in rituals and such he knows very well how powerful a curse can be. Too bad he didn't come up with some kind of protection spell before Magda had a chance to work her stuff.  And another thing, where the heck is Angelique? I thought she was called there to help him out?  

I loved today's scenes and thought Quentin was fabulous!  What a let down it is now that we have to wait another two weeks before the show is back on again! :-(

You know, that family is just terrible when it comes to lying and covering up things. Anyone who walked into that scene in the drawing room would just have to look at those three guilty faces and know that something wasn't quite right here.  They would have been better off if Edward had just told Magda & Sandor that Jenny never arrived and they couldn't find her either.

Oh, I nearly forgot,  Happy Birthday to your son! :-)

Cassandra[/font]
"Calamity Jane"

Connie

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2002, 02:52:41 PM »
Connie, You are kiddin, aren't you?

Nope.

I was a bit suprised though to see him so terrified over as what Edward described as "mumbo jumbo curses!"  But I do think the reason for him being so frightened has alot to do with his involvement in the occult.

Yes - definitely.  Plus...he was obviously so shaken at what he'd done, and so scared and riddled with guilt, that I think it added to his terror concerning the curse.

And another thing, where the heck is Angelique? I thought she was called there to help him out?

Good question!  She's never around when you need her.  

You know, that family is just terrible when it comes to lying and covering up things. Anyone who walked into that scene in the drawing room would just have to look at those three guilty faces and know that something wasn't quite right here.

Yer tellin' me!  Edward is the worst damned liar.  Plus Quentin was just dripping with guilt -- the expressions, mannerisms.  I hate that Edward.  Did you notice how when Quentin was spilling his guts about what happened, and Edward was only concerned about covering it up, and Quentin tells him that Jenny was Magda's sister, how Edward started in with his disgust at how Quentin married a gypsy!!

Also -- what a lousy brother!  When he was in Quentin's room and Quentin was begging him to stay and not leave him alone, how cold and dismissive Edward was!!
(I loved that little scene - Quentin was like a scared little boy)

I love these shows where you forget you're watching actors.  Everyone was so good!  We were totally absorbed.

Oh, I nearly forgot,  Happy Birthday to your son! :-)

LOL.  Thanks.

-CLC

Offline Annie

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2002, 03:48:20 PM »
[wavey] [wavey]   I too Connie thought that Quentin
was fabulous as always in yesterday's show!!!!!!!!
He does such a phemonial job at it too!!!
YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
( HOW ABOUT THE LUCIOUS KISS PLANTED ON
  BETH ANNE NEEDS A SEDIATIVE PLEASE!!!!!!!!)
               :P :P :P   Love Anne
"Never Give Up On Your Dreams "I Didn't So Don't
You"    By Barry Manilow

Offline onyx_treasure

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2002, 04:25:24 PM »
    I thought Quentin's display of cowardice was well played and appropriate.  At various times, he has tried to harm others such as his grandmother, Laura, and Barnabas.  He used the occult against Laura and Barnabas rather than face them because he was afraid of them but frail Grandmamama he had no trouble putting his hands around her throat.  He is the true bully.  He is very brave when he feels protected and in a position of power but shows his true colors when he feels defenseless.  I do not blame Edward for abandoning him.  Quentin stole his wife and abandoned Jenny.  Quentin has behaved in a despicable manner and has probably done so for years.
   Angelique being unavailabe is par for the course.  She likes to cause as much turmoil as possible for her master's entertainment.  
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline Julia99

• Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2002, 11:11:55 PM »
 I agree these are some great episodes.  .Magda's seething anger and hatred, Q's cowardly ways (to be expected from such a lothario but he will improve with AGE) and Edward's coldness.. .the only thing that marred it for me was Quentin's girlie scream at the end of the Magda curse dream . ..who was *she* screamin' like that?
Julia99

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2002, 11:57:41 PM »
the only thing that marred it for me was Quentin's girlie scream at the end of the Magda curse dream . ..who was *she* screamin' like that?

ROFL, I was thinking the same thing-- he was great, then I realized "oh nooooo, he's going to ruin it with one of his awful screams!"

Connie

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2002, 12:12:03 AM »
He does such a phemonial job at it too!!!
YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yep!  I'd say "phemonial" is definitely the word for it.

Hi Anne!  [wavey]

love
CLC
(Who's nuts for planning on going Christmas shopping tonight)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2002, 12:33:00 AM »
LAWD A'MIGHTY, Connie!!!  What on earth were you waiting for?

I just tried to get to the new Gourmet Market that opened just up the road.....couldn't even get into the PARKING lot, much less the market!!  How many people could there be who are willing to pay $200 for a tiny bottle of 100 year old Balsamic Vinegar?  (NO!! I was just hoping to get some bread!!!)

raineypark

"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2002, 02:43:32 AM »
To heck with Quentin, I want to know why your son was born in the bathroom?!

Oh yes, the show was great too. I thought him being a coward was totally believable, and let's face it, it wasn't that long ago that he was a zombie.  I especially liked him not wanting Beth to see him like this AND Edward's superb response!

"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Connie

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2002, 03:01:06 AM »
To heck with Quentin, I want to know why your son was born in the bathroom?!

'Cause I was having too much trouble delivering him on the couch!

:o

Connie

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2002, 12:02:17 PM »
LAWD A'MIGHTY, Connie!!!  What on earth were you waiting for?

Umm....I don't know.  LOL
No, actually, I did do some shopping but it's hard to accomplish things when you have at least one kid with you who wants to do THEIR shopping.
And by the way, this is the thanks I get - my 11-yr-old son was whining and badgering me to take him shopping the other evening.  I was not feeling well, the mall was very crowded, I hate the mall, and I was starting to feel a little panicky.  (I have adrenal problems).  So, I just wanted to hold his hand while we were walking (he's nearly as tall as I am for cryin' out loud), and he would NOT let me.  He says it's too embarrassing.  Of course when I'm in the kitchen trying to get something done, he's hanging all over me with his head on my shoulder all the time.

What the.....!!  Does anyone else have this problem?
I'm sorry.  I like to hold hands, put my arm around my kids, etc.  It's fine in the house, but I better not touch anyone in public!  That's gratitude for ya.  

I just tried to get to the new Gourmet Market that opened just up the road.....couldn't even get into the PARKING lot, much less the market!!

Well, see, you were out at the wrong time.
Tonight I got a lot done.  The malls are open 'till 11:00 and people are clearing out by around 9.  THAT'S the time to go.  Plus, Sunday they're staying open 'till 8 and a lot of people don't realize it, or want to get home so after 6-6:30 it's great!

-CLC
VP & General Manager, Shopping Help For The Incompetent
(I'm not only the vice president....I 'm also a client)

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2002, 06:13:15 PM »
What the.....!!  Does anyone else have this problem?

I'd imagine with boys EVERYONE has this problem once they  hit a certain age.  Wait long enough and just as suddenly it won't be an issue any more.

In my Italian family the women have always walked arm in arm with one another.  My daughter suddenly decided at about 12 that it was uncool and that was the end of it.....until she turned 15 and suddenly she LOVED the idea of walking arm in arm with Mom because it was "so Euro chic"!!  Now, apparently, all her girlfriends are doing the same thing.  What comes around goes around!! ::)

raineypark
Dylan Thomas

Offline Birdie

• Senior Poster
  • And her little dog too
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2002, 05:50:03 AM »
Connie, I have an eleven year old son also.  He would not want to hold my hand while walking in the mall.  Than again he doesn't like to go shopping unless it is for Cd's or movies.  Bring him to church and he hangs all over me.  It is called boredom.  I can't complain too much he will still kisses  me good-bye in front of his friends.   I was a saint today I took my older son and the almost fourteen year old to the mall, plus I picked up a present for my sister in law who didn't have time to go shopping.  Actually, it wasn't too bad, parking was the worst.  

Birdie
Birdie--
God please put your arm around my shoulder and your hand across my mouth