Author Topic: Where DS and Buffy fandom intersect  (Read 1720 times)

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
  • Hey sailor, how 'bout I light your Lucky?
    • View Profile
Where DS and Buffy fandom intersect
« on: December 13, 2002, 07:40:23 PM »
Okay, so I was really missing Dark Shadows, and couldn't get to sleep last night.  I lay awake recasting DS with characters from another of my favorite shows, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, of which I think some here are also fans.

It's kind of weird, because there are a few parallels between the shows - reluctant vampires,  a Frankenstein type character named Adam; BtVS even has a (minor) character named Quentin.

Maybe this is kinda lame, and maybe someone has already thought of this, but here is what I came up with:

Buffy - Maggie Evans/Josette Dupres/Rachel Drummond
Angel - Barnabas Collins
Spike - Quentin Collins
Drusilla - Eve/Crazy Jenny
Xander - Jeremiah Collins/Burke Devlin (?)
Jenny Calendar - Dr. Julia Hoffman/Countess Dupres
Rupert Giles - Prof. Stokes/Joshua Collins/Edward
Ethan Raine - Roger Collins/Rev. Trask
Darla - Angelique
Willow - Victoria Winters
Cordelia - Amanda Harris
Anya - Carolyn Stoddard/Millicent Collins
Joyce - Liz Stoddard/Naomi Collins/Judith Collins
Glory - Laura Murdoch Stockbridge Collins
Dawn - Sarah Collins/Amy Jennings
Quentin Travers - Andre Dupres/Sam Evans
Oz - Willie Loomis/Carl Collins
Riley Finn - Joe Haskell
Adam - Adam
Parker Abrams - Tom/Chris Jennings
Amy (rat girl) - Beth Chavez

Let me know what you think.  Could not for the life of me come up with who (from Buffy) would play Ben Stokes - suggestions?

My lady abandoned heaven, abandoned earth...to Ray's Wig World she descended.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Where DS and Buffy fandom intersect
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2002, 08:37:40 PM »
I liked this :) Don't really see any of the KLS characters being anything close to Buffy though--come to think of it, I don't see any of the DS characters as her either.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2002, 09:25:36 PM »
Not so much that I see the character of Buffy being anything like KLS's characters- more that it would be interesting to see a different side of Sarah Michelle Gellar as an actress - remember her as the 18th century maiden in the first BtVS Halloween episode?  Kind of a Josette turn, IMHO.

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2002, 11:58:20 PM »
Somehow I just can't see Barnabas and Maggie repeatedly beating the crap out of one another the way Spike and Buffy do.....and since there aren't any bathrooms in Collinsport we didn't have to worry about anyone being raped, either. :o

rainey
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Minja

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2002, 04:20:01 AM »

Just finished watching the Buffy ep. "Band Candy" for the upteenth time and I am inspired!

With Nancy Barrett being such a versatile actress, I could see Carolyn as Buffy.  Scrappy and snarky, with a sense of loyalty and with some proper training....could kick some major arse!  Not to mention both Carolyn and Buffy have at one time been under a vampire's "thrall"!
Buffy with Dracula, Carolyn with Barnabas.

To answer the Ben question.....maybe Larry????

For comedy relief.....Sky Rumson as the Judge!

Julianka as Faith!  Sassy, independent, stubborn! And my avatar...Faith, not Julianka! ;)

Maggie Walsh as Dr. Lang

Andrew as Harry

Harmony as Hallie/Carrie

Lunch Lady as Mrs. Johnson! (think Buffy ep. Earshot)

The Gentlemen as The Zombies that trash Collinwood!

Jenny's Uncle as King Johnny!

I love Cordelia as Amanda. and Joe as Riley, Joyce as Liz, Giles as Stokes, Dru as Crazy Jenny, Eve,  Darla as Angelique, Adam as Adam,   Great picks!

I'd recast Ethan as Nicholas, Jenny as Daphne, Parker as Mordecai's son...wazzhisname....Oz as Buzz, Xander as Willie(think Dracula thrall).

And there is a for real Buffy/DS crossover actor (Midnite says..."I knew Minja would do this!")

Pierrino Mascarino played Adlar the Leviathan on DS and Thelonius the Italian monk on the Buffy ep. I Robot!  Well that's all for now...I will post more crossover ideas as they come to me!

[shadow=purple,left,300]
Always, Minja [vryevl]
[/shadow]
[/size]
Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.
-From the song "For Good" from "Wicked"

Offline kuanyin

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2002, 09:34:18 AM »
Well, it would certainly make for a great episode of Buffy, if Dan Curtis would let them do a DS show! I can't say as I agree with all your choices, but definately like Angel for Barney. Interesting, that you didn't use the same actor for multiple roles as DS did. I would think whoever played Professor Stokes, would play Ben, for instance.
"If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly, rather than not at all." G.K. Chesterton

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2002, 11:03:43 AM »
....and since there aren't any bathrooms in Collinsport we didn't have to worry about anyone being raped, either. :o

rainey

i'm not sure what you mean by this.  perhaps you can clarify.  

Offline scout75

• Full Poster
  • "Sociopathic spinster!" "Histrionic fop!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2002, 11:34:45 PM »
In an infamous episode last season called "Seeing Red", Spike (a vampire) tries to rape Buffy in her bathroom, but being the Slayer and all, she held him off.

Long story short, he left town after that, got his soul restored to him in Africa, and has been trying to attone to Buffy ever since.
BARNABAS: Here at Collinwood, old hates don't die. They lie in wait for the innocent and unsuspecting...

QUENTIN: We're guaranteed to make you believe (spells) exist. Our entire family can be explained in no other way...

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2002, 06:22:13 AM »
Did I read somewhere that this is going to be the last season for "Buffy....."?

Repeats are already shown 3 times a day on my cable system, on 2 different channels....and I have some trouble picturing the audience that's watching at 7am!! [crazd]

rainey  
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Cassandra Blair

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2002, 06:18:30 PM »
You're right, Minja - Ethan would be a great Nicholas Blair!  And it's funny, after I started this thread it occurred to me that Faith would make a good Julianka, and I'd want to see them develop that character more with her in the role - and if they also cast her as vampire Roxanne, that might be cool too.

Carolyn as Buffy is absolutely brilliant!  Nancy Barrett really could have pulled that off, she definitely has the sass and scrappiness that role demands.  Maybe someday there will be some sort of sophisticated CGI for the personal PC that will allow us to realize some of this fantasy casting! ;)

Your choice of Maggie Walsh as Dr. Lang is inspired, it would be really interesting.  And Harmony as Hallie/Carrie is just perfect, they both have that annoying edge.

It's soooo interesting to note that there is actually an actor who had the good fortune to do both shows - you're the queen of interesting trivia, Minja!

And yes, Raineypark, this is said to be the last season of Buffy, sad to say.  Thank goodness for those reruns - although 7am is rather odd for such a show the same could be said for DS new (2003) time slot!

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2002, 09:26:20 PM »
I always thought that Darla and Angel had a very Barnabas/Angelique type chemistry (and I think Julie Benz would make a fabulous Angelique in any kind of remake).  The similarities particularly stand out in "Dear Boy", where Darla tells Angel, "God doesn't want you ... but I still do."

And who would win in a showdown between Evil Willow and Angelique?  My bets are on Black Eyed Girl.

Nicky
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline victoriawinters

• Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2002, 09:10:12 AM »
Did I read somewhere that this is going to be the last season for "Buffy....."?

Repeats are already shown 3 times a day on my cable system, on 2 different channels....and I have some trouble picturing the audience that's watching at 7am!! [crazd]

rainey  

i think this may be the case.  sarah michelle gellar's and  the show's contract with UPN is up at the end of this season.  right now there are a lot of rumors flying around on the internet as to whether or not the show would continue without her, or if there would be a spin-off show.

currently, angel is the only spin-off which shows on rival network WB.  (it didn't get picked-up by UPN.)

my crystal ball is currently in the repair shop and i can divine nothing further at this time.

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2002, 04:24:41 PM »

i think this may be the case.  sarah michelle gellar's and  the show's contract with UPN is up at the end of this season.  right now there are a lot of rumors flying around on the internet as to whether or not the show would continue without her, or if there would be a spin-off show.

Supposedly there has been a Giles spin-off called "Ripper" in the works for some time now.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga