Author Topic: Willie's name  (Read 1759 times)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Willie's name
« on: May 20, 2005, 06:44:00 AM »
I can't recall, but I seem to think there is a middle initial, and I think it was a "T" -- Willie T. Loomis.

What made me wonder about this was seeing a license plate today -- Willie T -- while I assume it's the person's name, I couldn't help but wonder if it were a fan of Willie's!!

Josette

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Willie's name
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 06:53:51 AM »
It was Willie H. Loomis, short for William Hollingshead, or Hollingsford-- both were used on the show.

Maybe you're thinking of James T. Kirk?  Okay, maybe not.  ;)

Offline Josette

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2005, 07:45:16 AM »
That's right!  I knew they gave him a middle name in PT, but couldn't remember what it was.  Somehow Willie T sounded familiar!!
Josette

Offline Raineypark

• DSF God
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2005, 02:24:27 PM »
I've always wondered about the genesis of that odd middle name.  Was it the name of someone involved with the production?  Was it taken from some book or film?  Did someone make it up and it just sounded right?

Just one of those little DS details about which we will probably never know the truth.  ;)
"Do not go gentle into that good night.  Rage, rage against the dying of the light."
Dylan Thomas

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 12:09:01 AM »
I wondered about Willie's middle name too, and was watching the end of the Leviathan episodes for research for my fan fic, when I happened on the episode where Hoffman, I think it was, threw Willie's book out through the door--episode 971, I think.  Barnabas picked it up, and the front of the book was on camera.  The book showed that the author was "William Hollingsford Loomis."  But every time someone said it out loud, it was "Hollingshead."  It seemed especially odd when Barnabas was holding the book, but saying "William Hollingshead Loomis."   Maybe it was a blooper the first time and they just stayed with it?

Didn't they also use it for "our" Willie's middle name as well?  Were both names used then?

Judy
 [angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 10:48:32 PM »
I wondered about Willie's middle name too, and was watching the end of the Leviathan episodes for research for my fan fic, when I happened on the episode where Hoffman, I think it was, threw Willie's book out through the door--episode 971, I think.  Barnabas picked it up, and the front of the book was on camera.  The book showed that the author was "William Hollingsford Loomis."  But every time someone said it out loud, it was "Hollingshead."  It seemed especially odd when Barnabas was holding the book, but saying "William Hollingshead Loomis."   Maybe it was a blooper the first time and they just stayed with it?

Didn't they also use it for "our" Willie's middle name as well?  Were both names used then?[angl]

I don't remember ever hearing Hollingsford. Just Hollinshead. And yeah that is some strange name. To answer your question, in the next episode after this [spoiler]Barnabas took the book home to read it. Willie saw it and said "Who wrote this?" and Barnabas said, "You did, Willie." Willie, who could probably count on the fingers of one hand the number of books he'd read in his life, much less write one, took a look at the book and said, "No one knows my middle name!" So it was truly his own middle name as well. He was totally freaked when he saw the inscription in the inside fly leaf in his own handwriting referring to "the cleo who inspired him." He didn't realize that Cleo was a muse, he just knew that he didn't know anyone by that name.[/spoiler]

As for who thought up the name I have no idea but it's possible that someone who worked on the show had some relative with Hollinshead as a last name and suggested it when the writers said, "Ok we need some WEIRD name!"

Alondra

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 11:27:44 PM »
As for who thought up the name I have no idea but it's possible that someone who worked on the show had some relative with Hollinshead as a last name and suggested it when the writers said, "Ok we need some WEIRD name!"
I like to think they borrowed the name from Michael Hollingshead, who is credited with introducing Timothy Leary to LSD, but I am easily amused.  ;D

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 11:53:49 PM »
I like to think they borrowed the name from Michael Hollingshead, who is credited with introducing Timothy Leary to LSD, but I am easily amused.  ;D

Oh gak my poor Willie!! Maybe they should have given that wonderful middle name to Barnabas!!

Alondra
  >:D

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 11:58:18 PM »
Maybe Willie was the black sheep of the famly Loomis and His mother last name was Hollingshead. There is a listing on the net for them. The bluebloods would put the mothers last name as a middle name.  ^-^

Can you imagine a back story for Willie
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline Angelique Wins

• Full Poster
  • Angelique wins!
    • View Profile
    • Hey!  It's My Dark Shadows Website!
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 09:13:39 AM »
LOL!  I am too!  But I was thinking more along the lines of JF being caught up in the moment because of the way he delivers the line.  Poor Barn.  He was so shocked to read of "his" death.  I could see JF, being a learned man of letters, unconsciously substituting "Hollinshed" of the famed "Hollinshed Chronicles " in place of the mundane "Hollingsford" which the prop book shows.  If that was the case, they would probably just go with the name that was spoken because you probably couldn't have caught "Hollingsford" on screen until it was on VHS, or maybe even DVD.

Yes.  I can!  And it's coming soon to a website near you!  LOL!  ;D

Judy
[angl]
**For the record...just in case you're wondering how it all turns out---Angelique wins.  [9366]

And if you want to know just how that's possible...then check out my DS fan fiction!
                         [read3]
http://www.codelphia.com/angeliquewins/tableocontents.html

Offline Alondra

• Senior Poster
  • Dark Shadows Forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 03:31:57 PM »
Yes.  I can!  And it's coming soon to a website near you!  LOL!  ;D

Is that right? Please post the link when it's ready. I love to read all I can find about Willie.

Alondra