Author Topic: Forgetful Barnabas  (Read 1775 times)

Offline Blue_Whale_Barfly

• Full Poster
  • What do you mean last call!
    • View Profile
Forgetful Barnabas
« on: April 18, 2002, 11:00:17 PM »
Do you think old Barney forgot to mentioned to Joshua that a good old stake through the heart would do the trick?

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
Re: Forgetful Barnabas
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2002, 11:36:04 PM »
Perhaps....that is if he really wanted to "die" for good. I get the impression that Barnabas is struggling with his existence at the moment. Perahps if he really wanted to die, I think he would've let himself be found out.  Or, mutter to Joshua that a sharpened branch of holly, like you said, "just might do the trick."

I think Barnabas is getting the feeling of "death" every morning when he turns in, and he isn't liking it one bit. Nor is he liking the feeling of waking up, with a craving to go out and get "a bite to drink"  ;)  every evening. He wants neither, he is still afraid, but I'm guessing the option of eternal life, no matter how painful it is to him, is his vote at the moment.

Anyone?
"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Carol

• * Fiction Filly *
    Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • New York Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2002, 01:26:10 AM »
Perhaps....that is if he really wanted to "die" for good. I get the impression that Barnabas is struggling with his existence at the moment. Perahps if he really wanted to die, I think he would've let himself be found out.  Or, mutter to Joshua that a sharpened branch of holly, like you said, "just might do the trick."

I think Barnabas is getting the feeling of "death" every morning when he turns in, and he isn't liking it one bit. Nor is he liking the feeling of waking up, with a craving to go out and get "a bite to drink"  ;)  every evening. He wants neither, he is still afraid, but I'm guessing the option of eternal life, no matter how painful it is to him, is his vote at the moment.

Anyone?

Hi there Karen #2,

I'm getting the same feeling, too. He's not happy with his "living death" or the alternative, real death.  Can you imagine how he will feel when Ben

SPOILER

is ordered to chain his coffin for all eternity and he can't get out!  :o That is, until Willie blunders in and opens it.

Even tho Barnabas rants and raves in 1967 about how
terrible it is to still be a vampire, he still can't make the decision to truly end his existence. It's not until Julia Hoffman offers him the alternative that he decides that "living", no matter how she does it, is better than being truly dead or a vampire.

Carol(aka carolinamoon from the other list if you are the Karen #2 that I know there)
carolinamooon

"All that we see or seem is but a dream within a dream" - Edgar Allan Poe

Offline MikeS

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2002, 01:30:18 AM »

Anyone?

I agree, Karen.  At this point, I think Barnabas, as much as he detests his undead state, still has a pretty strong sense of self-preservation.  Also, he may feel that any attempt to end his existence would be stopped by Angelique.  Remember, she already prevented Ben from staking him.  

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2002, 04:50:54 AM »
Do you think old Barney forgot to mentioned to Joshua that a good old stake through the heart would do the trick?

Let's not forget that Barnabas is not exactly known for being a thorough or deep thinker.  

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Offline Karen_#2

• Junior Poster
  • "WHOA CAMEL! WHOA!! When I say whoa, I mean WHOA!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2002, 06:07:21 AM »

I'm getting the same feeling, too. He's not happy with his "living death" or the alternative, real death.  Can you imagine how he will feel when Ben

SPOILER

is ordered to chain his coffin for all eternity and he can't get out!  :o That is, until Willie blunders in and opens it.

Oh yes, the "welcome" Willie received when he woke Barnabas up from his 200 year nap  :o about sums it up!

Carol(aka carolinamoon from the other list if you are the Karen #2 that I know there)

Yep! That would be me, Carol, the one and only #2!  ;D
Thanks for the ping!

Karen #2

"The Collins blood always had a rather....persistant strength"                       Barnabas to Elizabeth  1967

Offline Cassandra

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2002, 09:13:35 AM »
As much as Barnabas hates his "new life" he still has the natural instinct in him to survive, as he mentioned to his father today.  Also, I agree with you MikeS, he probably knows Angelique would never allow him to be destroyed, that would be the easy way out, and she wouldn't allow that.
"Calamity Jane"

Offline MrsJ

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2002, 03:00:39 PM »

Let's not forget that Barnabas is not exactly known for being a thorough or deep thinker.  

Luciaphil

Hehehe...this gave me a good chuckle to start the day.  I know it isn't the most popular position to take, but I do agree.  I thoroughly enjoyed the way the character started out, but they went *way* overboard in the angst department, IMO, especially from this point on.  Too much of the "poor me" stuff makes him much less appealing, and much less sympathetic as time goes on, again IMO.

MrsJ.

Offline jennifer

• DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2002, 03:29:50 PM »

Hehehe...this gave me a good chuckle to start the day.  I know it isn't the most popular position to take, but I do agree.  I thoroughly enjoyed the way the character started out, but they went *way* overboard in the angst department, IMO, especially from this point on.  Too much of the "poor me" stuff makes him much less appealing, and much less sympathetic as time goes on, again IMO.

MrsJ.

He says that his thrist for blood is  stronger
than all his other wants I think even stronger than the need to shield his mother from the truth!But what did Joshua think he was before he found out he was a vampire?

jennifer
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

Offline tripwire

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2002, 05:47:13 AM »
didnt barny get all upset at ben for not staking him, calling him a "traitor"...a few eposodes ago?  if he was really that serious about his final destruction, he could have always taken a stroll in the sun, and not had to put anyone thru what would surely be a traumatic experience for the doer.  
its a sudden death that i know, my father wrote me to say that, my cousin, uncle jeremiah was, was very disturbed.

Offline ROBINV

• ** Robservationist **
  • Senior Poster
  • The Write Stuff
    • View Profile
    • Personal site of Robin Vogel
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2002, 03:34:21 PM »
I seriously doubt that Barnabas could have done away with himself.  He wants to survive, and desperately, although he despises the way he must do so to go on.  

And I think Barnabas, knowing that Angelique stopped Ben when she tried to stake him, figured the same thing would only happen if Joshua tried.  Come to think of it, she undoubtedly would have prevented silver bullets from finding his heart, too!  Once Barnabas killed her, Angelique was all about revenge.

Love, Robin  

IluvBarnabas

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2009, 05:05:13 AM »
I know it isn't the most popular position to take, but I do agree.  I thoroughly enjoyed the way the character started out, but they went *way* overboard in the angst department, IMO, especially from this point on.  Too much of the "poor me" stuff makes him much less appealing, and much less sympathetic as time goes on, again IMO.

You think that the writers' decision to show Barnabas' tormented nature actually made him less sympathetic? Huh... [hall2_shocked]

I have to disagree that the writers went overboard making Barnabas a tortured soul. It was necessary, since he was turning out to be quite popular and TPTB wanted to keep him on the show. I think JF did a great job portraying the anguish that Barnabas went through once he became what he was. It made him a more complex character, the human nature struggling with the evil animal nature he was infused with.

There is some truth that Barnabas got carried away with the 'poor me' attitude at times, but if he had stayed all evil he would have ended up getting killed off. So like it or not, redeeming the character of Barnabas somewhat had to be done.