Author Topic: The Forum's New Theme  (Read 2756 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The Forum's New Theme
« on: April 20, 2005, 05:45:05 AM »
As if you haven't already noticed ;) the forum has a new theme - and with it comes three differences:

• The "Show unread posts since last visit" and "Show new replies to your posts" buttons are no longer in the main menu. Instead they're text links in your Info Box and appear right underneath your "Total time logged in" listing. (The SMF developers had originally done something very similar, but when I created the previous theme, I decided to make buttons for those features.)
  • Instead of a "new" icon, new posts/topics are indicated by a check mark icon:

• And you'll now notice that instead of the search box for each individual board appearing just above the topic listings for that board, the box now appears in the page header, to the right of the forum's logo. (This is also close to where the SMF developers had originally placed it, but I'd decided to move it.) However, using this box still works exactly the same as it did previously - any search criteria that you might type in the box will only be looked for in the particular board that you're currently viewing. In order to search mulitiple boards, you must use the "Search" button in the main menu or the advanced search feature.
Other than those differences, everything else still works the same. So, take time to get used to the new look. Though you might not want to get too used to it because, well, I think I'll wait a bit before I explain any further.  [b003]

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Forum's New Theme
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2005, 09:49:34 AM »
Oh no....you're not going to change the colors soon, are you?  The new colors are so gorgeous - nicest colors I think I've ever seen on a board.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline TERRY308

• Senior Poster
  • The real Mrs. Collins.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2005, 12:05:47 PM »
Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful

The whole thing is crisp.  Bravo Mysterious Benefactor.  You've done it again.

Cassandra:  I have a potion.  You know it well.  As soon as she drinks it, within an hour, she will go to sleep and have the dream.
Nicholas:  I am much to talented to spend my time drugging drinks.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2005, 05:10:09 PM »
The colors are indeed gorgeous.  I won't get attached to them because inevitably you will be making a change, but I just have to say... BRAVO.

The check for new stuff feels counter-intuitive to me.  No doubt it's yet another way in which I'm "special" compared to others, but I generally check things off that have already been attended to.

It was moving very slowly when I was on earlier today, but I'm using IE (haha) so have only Bill Gates to blame for that.

G.

Offline onyx_treasure

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2005, 05:17:09 PM »
     Very nice, MB.  Don't you ever sleep?
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life--music and cats.  Albert Schweitzer

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2005, 05:29:04 PM »

I like the new look!  Really sweet!
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Ian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2005, 05:52:20 PM »
XD It startled me at first! Very nice job though. :)

Offline victoriawinters

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • Total ENFJ Geek!
    • View Profile
    • victoriawinters.net
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2005, 06:13:47 PM »
I do love the colors.  They are quite easy on the eyes.  Seems so vampiric with the red and all.

Offline Heather

• Senior Poster
  • It's an Orbach's, darling...
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2005, 06:23:10 PM »
I love the colors...same colors I have in my bedroom, and it goes well with my avatar. What more can a girl want, huh? ;)

W: http://hrh22.home.comcast.net

In case you didn't realize....Julia rules!  :-*

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2005, 08:30:08 PM »
The new colors are so gorgeous - nicest colors I think I've ever seen on a board.

Thanks - I love them too. But the truth is that this didn't start out to be a new theme for the entire forum. I originally came up with it just to use it for the older boards to set them apart from the currently active boards. However, once I saw how it turned out, I hated to relegate it to the boards that most of us rarely visit, so I decided to expand it as a full theme for the entire forum.

Oh no....you're not going to change the colors soon, are you?

The answer for now is yes - and no. How are both those answers possible? All in good time.  ;)  And I might add that anyone who might be missing the previous theme needn't fret - you haven't seen the end of it. Not at all.

I won't get attached to them because inevitably you will be making a change

True - but that doesn't necessarily mean that you'll ever need to make that change (he said cryptically for the time being  [wink2]). Feel free to become attached to them as much as you might like.

The check for new stuff feels counter-intuitive to me. No doubt it's yet another way in which I'm "special" compared to others, but I generally check things off that have already been attended to.

Hmmm - honestly I didn't think of it that way, but you make a good point. I might rethink the check mark...

It was moving very slowly when I was on earlier today, but I'm using IE (haha) so have only Bill Gates to blame for that.

Far be it from me to let Gates off the hook for anything, but here and there the forum has been responding slowly for me, too, today - and I'm using Linux with Netscape. Our host was making some changes over the weekend that didn't affect the way the forum responded. But perhaps they're now doing some work on the MySQL database server and that's slowing things down.

Don't you ever sleep?

The staff mantra around here is "We don't need no stinkin' sleep!"  [lghy]

It startled me at first!

Exactly the first reaction I was going for.  [b003]

Seems so vampiric with the red and all.

That's exactly what I was going for.  :D  In fact, originally I was thinking of doing a few icons with a blood dripping effect or by using the blood dripping font that I'd used to create the "new" icon for this past October's Halloween theme, but then I rethought the idea. Sometimes subtlety and subliminal suggestion work better.  :)  (Though I haven't actually given up on the idea entirely - I *may* create an entire horror-based theme. We'll see...)

it goes well with my avatar

I noticed that last night. And the interesting thing is that I began work on this theme before you switched avatars, so, perhaps, this time you really did read someone's mind - mine;D

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2005, 12:25:25 AM »
the forum's new colors are indeed pretty.the red,brown and gray is very sophisticated.i posted this in a color(i think) to see how it will look on the new background. [blackwidow]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Connie

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2005, 12:39:29 AM »
The answer for now is yes - and no. How are both those answers possible? All in good time.  ;)  And I might add that anyone who might be missing the previous theme needn't fret - you haven't seen the end of it. Not at all.

Heh heh...   ;)

I've been messing around with setting up different kinds of message boards recently - SMF included, and I THINK I know what the Mysterious One is planning.

Far be it from me to spoil his fun however.   ;D

These colors are just too perfect.  I'm gonna steal some of them for something.  Maybe the future website I've always wanted to do.
Don't know how to do the beautiful background though - the way the dark reds fade in an out of each other.
Blank space
                                Your Ad Here   ---->>

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2005, 01:04:14 AM »
Very nice!  :o

Nancy

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005, 12:53:46 PM »

Uh-oh, I think I'm being techno-challenged.  How does one reply on a thread?  I can't find any place to click at the bottom.  I'm doing this by clicking "quote" (and then just not quoting).  I've looked all over the page of a thread, top and bottom, and can't find a "reply" icon!

Gerard (Who's Asking That You Don't Hate Me For Being A New-Message-Board-Format Dunce)

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2005, 12:58:05 PM »
Never mind, I just found it.  Do I ever feel dumb!

Gerard (Who Thinks It's Now Very Appropriate To Hate Me For Being So Dumb)